nvr or computer 5 cams.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I plan to install about 26 Hikvision 3 MP cams around my office and factory, but we may be going through some renos here so in the mean time I want to install about 5, since I will eventually use these same 5 when I add the extra 21 cams I'm hoping I can have a temporary nvr / computer solution.

Can an i5 2nd gen computer be enough to handle the recordings of 5 cams, I expect to have 3 cams on motion detection. the other 2 recording 24/7 I understand this will also depend on fps and Mega Pixels, but in theory does this sound like it could be a temporary tie over until i get the proper nvr to accommodate my 26 IPcam system?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I plan to install about 26 Hikvision 3 MP cams around my office and factory, but we may be going through some renos here so in the mean time I want to install about 5, since I will eventually use these same 5 when I add the extra 21 cams I'm hoping I can have a temporary nvr / computer solution.

Can an i5 2nd gen computer be enough to handle the recordings of 5 cams, I expect to have 3 cams on motion detection. the other 2 recording 24/7 I understand this will also depend on fps and Mega Pixels, but in theory does this sound like it could be a temporary tie over until i get the proper nvr to accommodate my 26 IPcam system?
What NVR software do you intend to run? hikvisions free ivms will be no problem. If you use something like blue iris, then it would still work if you use the direct to disc option and optimize your settings...

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using an i5 (4th Gen 2.9) with 5 cams with conservative settings (still trying to figure those out) with direct to disk, and I average ~33% when not recording.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using an i5 (4th Gen 2.9) with 5 cams with conservative settings (still trying to figure those out) with direct to disk, and I average ~33% when not recording.
hmm to when recording is the computer working overtime? I'm thinking of a 2nd gen i5 8GB ram as a temp NVR

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hmm to when recording is the computer working overtime? I'm thinking of a 2nd gen i5 8GB ram as a temp NVR
I don't think you will have a problem..., with 2-3 Cams recording, CPU doesn't seem to jump much,.... maybe an additional 10-20%

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you use HikVision cams with the free iVMS-4200 server, no problem at all. It uses next to nothing to record. Live view and Playback use up some resources, but you should be fine with 5 cameras.