NVR & POE Switch Question

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am looking at adding a POE Switch. The NVR is on a 192.168. network but the cameras plugged into the NVR want to be on a 10.1. Two new cameras came as 192.168 and the NVR could not find video stream. I had to change to 10.1 So if I connect the switch to the router that is on a 192.168 do I change the cameras back to 192.168 ip address and will the NVR find them? I hope I am explaining this right.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at adding a POE Switch. The NVR is on a 192.168. network but the cameras plugged into the NVR want to be on a 10.1. Two new cameras came as 192.168 and the NVR could not find video stream. I had to change to 10.1 So if I connect the switch to the router that is on a 192.168 do I change the cameras back to 192.168 ip address and will the NVR find them? I hope I am explaining this right.
Hi @ponyrider127

Can you draw out a diagram of your network? That will help folks understand what you are attempting to do. Thanks

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The problem I am having is understanding the NVR POE switch on the back.
It is a 10.1.x.x network and the NVR is on a 192.168.x.x network. Do I change the subnet on NVR to 192.168.x.x then change the cameras to that?

My system is up and running just not in the locations yet. I have to run cable out to another building for the switch just did not wanting to run cables to all the cameras.

Attachments

Last edited:

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess what I need to know is should the ip address of the NVR switch on the NVR be in the 10.1.x.x when the NVR is on 192.168.x.x

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First, YES the internal switch address needs to remain different than the LAN port of the NVR. Second, referencing your network map, the cameras connected to the switch need to hav an IP in the same range of the router since it is outside of the NVR. Then in the camera setup of the NVR, use a "manual" setup and input the IP of the camera you want.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does your NVR need to be on your LAN? If not then you could simply move it to the switch, I bet it picks up the switch network IP range, unless your statically assigning all those IPs. Does the switch have the a built in router or virtual router?

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks to all that have responded. I have not purchased a switch yet because I did not want to run one line to another building only to find out the switch would not work and have to run a seperate cable to each camera. I will be running cable in conduit.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I must have missed read things. I thought you already were using a managed switch and where having issues see cameras on your switch or cameras directly attached to your NVR based on the ip addressing used on your nvr. TonyR's comment about a thread now might make some sense. I thought when you mentioned add a poe switch you meant you were switching our your current managed switch for a poe managed switch, but you had issues with your ip routung on the current one. Now if I understand things right your wanting to incorporate a new poe managed switch with your current router and nvr? So your IP issues are probably related to some static IP on the cameras as it sounds like your router is pushing a 192.168.1.1 network, and your not seeing all your cameras unless you switch the ip address of your nvr to the 10.x.x.x network. Home routers almost always are set to a default of 192 or 172 network depending on the brand/manufacture.

Whats your end goal? modem>>>router>>>LAN(home network devices)>>>switch on a different subnet running your nvr and cams?
I am too lazy to draw this out or where you going to vlan the switch between your home internet connected devices and your cameras?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TonyR's comment about a thread now might make some sense.
FWIW, somewhere before my post #3 forum member Prosateur said: "May I propose another NVR and POE switch question?" and that's when I suggested he not hijack Ponyrider127's thead but start his own. I have no idea where his post went to or where he is, for that matter. :idk:

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If conduit is placed underground, insure that the cable is rated for direct-burial or flooded burial, as in time there WILL be water standing in the lowest parts of the conduit run.
Just direct burial is never a good idea where I live. The ground is full of chert and will cut cable. For those that do not know what chert is it is what arrowheads are made out of. Once the rock chips it will cut you like a razor. So Schedule 80 PVC Conduit for the install.

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I purchased my first two cameras to test the default ip was in the 10.1 range and since the NVR built-in switch was 10.1 also, I did not have a problem. I ordered two more and the ip was 192.168 range. When i plugged them in to the NVR it did not see them. I manually added but the NVR could not find video stream until I change the ip to 10.1 address.

So now I want to add a external switch in another building and since I could not get the NVR to see the 192.168 range. I will have to use the 192.168 range for the external switch that is going back to the router that is on 192.168.
This has been a large learning curve for me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just direct burial is never a good idea where I live. The ground is full of chert and will cut cable. For those that do not know what chert is it is what arrowheads are made out of. Once the rock chips it will cut you like a razor. So Schedule 80 PVC Conduit for the install.
Just to clarify....
I understand and agree regarding the use of direct burial cable in the ground without conduit.
I was suggesting to use direct-burial or flooded burial-rated cable INSIDE the conduit.