NVR Receiving Cyber Attack?

Parasense

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Friends

We have 2 units of Dahua DH-NVR616R-64-4K. It was monitored externally via static IP. I changed the default ports very recently and there was no problem for a long time. but when I open it to external monitoring for a while, the device goes offline via smartpss in the local environment. when I close the device to external monitoring, this problem does not occur. I evaluate that the device went offline after a cyber attack attempt.

1.How can I know if the device has been attacked? (I scanned with netstat in NVR unix environment but I could not find a foreign IP).
2.How can I prevent it other than port switching? (Users other than the admin account are completely passive. If I disable some services in unix environment, will it be a problem?)

Firmware version of NVRs
NVR: Dahua DH-NVR616R-64
System Version: 3.210.0003.0, Build Date: 2016-07-14

Regards Thank you

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome!

Lesson #1: Exposing devices and services directly to the public internet is an invitation to be hacked/compromised. Full stop.

If you suspect your NVR was compromised:

1. Disable UPnP in both your router/firewall and NVR
2. Disable any manual port forwards in your router/firewall
3. Factory reset and install latest firmware on NVR
4. Host your own VPN service on or behind your router/firewall. (OpenVPN, WireGuard, Tailscale, IPSec, etc.)

Last edited:

Parasense

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for starting with great lesson#1 :)

1.UPnP is Disable on the router and NVR.
2.If I turn off port forwarding, how can I perform remote monitoring?
3.I doubt the firmware versions on the Dahua NVR, actually maybe I can do a factory reset.
(Or is it ok if I disable the users running in the background by establishing a connection through the terminal?)
4.Unfortunately we have a simple modem in our structure. we have no firewall device. Maybe I can use the IPSec feature of the modem (there must be a problem on the Dahua side, unix system is trying to be attack and it disables itself)

The way to make Dahua NVR externally traceable should not be so difficult

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do remote monitoring with how he mentioned in step #4

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited:

Parasense

n3wb
Reaction score
@wittaj; Thank you, I will look into it in detail.

@elvisimprsntr;

You are absolutely right, we are victims. but we have a hikvision device on the same ip, I think it cannot be attacked,
so there is no down. i think unix and an old firmware are victimizing us. i will look at the situation after an upgrade.

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unix and old firmware isn't the issue - these devices are known to have vulnerabilities and backdoor exploits and cameras with brand new current firmware still get hacked. Getting them off the internet is the only way.

Hikvision can be attacked if given internet access. ANY camera can be hacked - even high end AXIS - they are known for not being secure. Kinda ironic isn't it...

Two posts from just this week:

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Be careful updating that recorder to later versions of firmware, I have observed many get bricked. Update in stages and do not apply the latest straight out

Parasense

n3wb
Reaction score
Unix and old firmware isn't the issue - these devices are known to have vulnerabilities and backdoor exploits and cameras with brand new current firmware still get hacked. Getting them off the internet is the only way.

Hikvision can be attacked if given internet access. ANY camera can be hacked - even high end AXIS - they are known for not being secure. Kinda ironic isn't it...

Two posts from just this week:

Thanks for answer.
I absolutely agree. it's not just the firmware that's the problem here. some security measures need to be taken in general.
at least basic security should be established. as you mentioned, every day a vulnerability is published and it messes up the system

Be careful updating that recorder to later versions of firmware, I have observed many get bricked. Update in stages and do not apply the latest straight out

I never thought of it that way. but I was worried about it, I see that the latest version has been released on the site.
how to proceed for previous sub-versions. For example, if the current version is 2.0, if there is 2.5 first, then 3.0 should be upgraded?

Thanks.