NVR robbing network speed?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well guys, I recently upgraded my internet speed to a gig. I’m getting roughly 200-400 MBPS from the back of the modem hardwired.

But my WiFi is super slow. Like 20 MBPS. this is slower than when I was on the 200 MBPS plan.

Started doing some poking around - found that if I unplugged my NVR - my speed would bump from about 20 MBPS to 200 MBPS hardwired off the switch. Please note: no where were the cameras being called on. They were open on no apps. No computers.

Here’s the details of the system:

Arris 8200 modem -> ubiquiti USG -> ubiquiti 8 port POE switch -> 3x ubiquti AP, 1 PS4, 1 NVR

The NVR has 11x 4MP cams + 2MP AI PTZ. All dahua. All lines are run directly to the NVR. And the NVR is POE so there is no switch in between.

Again, the cameras were not being called on.

Ideas?!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Even more interested since we chatted as a buddy has an ATT Arris modem and has horrible issues with pulling a stream from outside his LAN....

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
There are a ton of parameters that can affect your wi-fi performance and you haven't really given us specific information. Things like, are the cams on the same VLAN as the rest of your devices. WHat channel bandwidth are you running. What is the definition of "my wi-fi is super slow"? Why is your DVR affecting your Internet speed is another good question. It should not be. Do you have someone looking at your cams over the Internet while you are doing your speed test?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Even more interested since we chatted as a buddy has an ATT Arris modem and has horrible issues with pulling a stream from outside his LAN....
Is it one of those combo units with Modem/Router/Wi-Fi builtin?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are a ton of parameters that can affect your wi-fi performance and you haven't really given us specific information. Things like, are the cams on the same VLAN as the rest of your devices. WHat channel bandwidth are you running. What is the definition of "my wi-fi is super slow"? Why is your DVR affecting your Internet speed is another good question. It should not be. Do you have someone looking at your cams over the Internet while you are doing your speed test?
I don't have a clue what a VLAN is - but they're on the same network? plugged into the same switch?

I explained the "super slow" above.

I also explained above - there is no one and nothing to my knowledge calling upon these cameras. my wife and I are the only ones with access - and neither of us were accessing the cameras.

Here are the details of the modem:

MODEM 1.JPGMODEM 2.JPGmodem 3.JPG

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is the topology of the network - please note: the NVR is currently unplugged, but would normally be in line with the AP's.

Wifi topology - no NVR.JPG

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
............Why is your DVR affecting your Internet speed is another good question. It should not be. Do you have someone looking at your cams over the Internet while you are doing your speed test?

That’s what I told him when we chatted earlier. Says only goes to shit when he plugs in the NVR...

I wonder if P2P could be a culprit?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That’s what I told him when we chatted earlier. Says only goes to shit when he plugs in the NVR...

I wonder if P2P could be a culprit?
@bigredfish I'm looking into my Ubiquiti security gateway - and I notice that I have another WAN/LAN available to me... do you think throwing the NVR exclusively on this will help?

1602252667412.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Couldn’t hurt to try...but to be honest it just seems like something has to be accessing the streams outside of the NVR if it truly affects your network that dramatically ...

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So this just started after you upgraded your internet plan? No other changes made to your network or devices?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Couldn’t hurt to try...but to be honest it just seems like something has to be accessing the streams outside of the NVR if it truly affects your network that dramatically ...
I can't even get this stupid LAN2 to work. I can't find a tutorial online. I can't find it in the ubiquiti controller - and ubiquiti changes their interface so often, I can't find a tutorial on youtube. Ofcourse, ubiquiti also does not have a customer service telephone number - all I have is a forum that I can post to and hope to get a response back.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So you put the new modem in and all of a sudden (immediately?) your wifi speeds dropped? Where's the old modem? Put it back in and see if it changes things.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So you put the new modem in and all of a sudden (immediately?) your wifi speeds dropped? Where's the old modem? Put it back in and see if it changes things.
I have the old modem -but the old modem cannot handle gig internet.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Understand, process of elimination though. Put it back in and see if things go back to normal.

Edit: might have to engage your ISP if they took the old modem off the whitelist.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Understand, process of elimination though. Put it back in and see if things go back to normal.
Not that simple - I would have to call ISP and have them re-authenticate the old modem - and then have them do the same for the new modem if I decide to put it back - I'm not saying that I WONT do this - but I'd prefer to save myself an hour on the phone if I don't have to.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Unifi Controller -> Settings -> Network -> Create a New Network -> Select Lan 2 network group. But that creates a different subnet/vlan. Is that what you want?

Something isn't right. If you are physically connected to your modem with an ethernet cable and run a speed test from a desktop, what is your download speed with the NVR plugged in and not plugged in? I want to determine if you get your full speeds with hardline. Then we can troubleshoot wifi.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unifi Controller -> Settings -> Network -> Create a New Network -> Select Lan 2 network group. But that creates a different subnet/vlan. Is that what you want?

Something isn't right. If you are physically connected to your modem with an ethernet cable and run a speed test from a desktop, what is your download speed with the NVR plugged in and not plugged in? I want to determine if you get your full speeds with hardline. Then we can troubleshoot wifi.
I finally got it to work - note: This is NOT an option in the new interface, I had to revert my interface back to the classic version to find this.. Still having issues as the NVR does not want to seem to pick up a IP address right now.