NVR shopping

ryan98270

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! Im shopping for my first NVR and I currently have an assortment of cameras. Some POE and some standard power, and some wireless, though I think ill keep those separate. Im looking at an NVR bundle on Amazon (need a few more cameras) and found a Reolink NVR 8ch with 4 POE 4k cams. Am I able to add any of my non poe cameras to this NVR? Are there any NVRs that would support cameras with different power sources?
I currently have ZMODO cams (all non poe), Reolink cams (2 POE) and Wyze for indoor wifi cams. I need to add several cameras and prefer POE, but am hoping to utilize my existing AC powered cameras. I may upgrade those as well, but AC power is nearby and easier for those 1 or 2 locations.

Im also keeping my eye out for a POE PTZ camera to eventually add to this NVR. I have Blueiris now and am curious how that is going to work with the NVR. Ultimately I want to be able to view all my cameras from my PC (other side of house from switch) and my TVs and cell phones. That might be too much to ask for though

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Reolink is not favorably regarded by most people on this forum for a number of very good reasons. I strongly suggest that you look in the WiKi, in the blue bar at the top of the page and read the material in there before spending money on junk. Read it on a real computer, not a phone or tablet. Generally speaking NVRs work best with the same brand of cameras. Using other brands may or may not work if they work at all. WiFi is not a reliable way to get video to anything, too many drop outs.

Note to self: Don't reply to anything when I'm tired. Too many typos to fix.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is strongly recommend that with an NVR and cameras, that they all come form a single manufactures. Do not mix and match. You will loose camera functionality if a camera is not matched to the NVR. Some of your cameras are designed to be stand alone or work only with the manufactures app, they will not work with an NVR.

One other thing to keep in mind is that some manufactures limit the ability for NVRs to support there own cameras from different regions. So Chinese hacked cameras may not work with an International NVR. Even from the same manufacture.

In place of an NVR you may want to look at a VMS like Blue Iris.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello! Im shopping for my first NVR and I currently have an assortment of cameras. Some POE and some standard power, and some wireless, though I think ill keep those separate. Im looking at an NVR bundle on Amazon (need a few more cameras) and found a Reolink NVR 8ch with 4 POE 4k cams. Am I able to add any of my non poe cameras to this NVR? Are there any NVRs that would support cameras with different power sources?
I currently have ZMODO cams (all non poe), Reolink cams (2 POE) and Wyze for indoor wifi cams. I need to add several cameras and prefer POE, but am hoping to utilize my existing AC powered cameras. I may upgrade those as well, but AC power is nearby and easier for those 1 or 2 locations.

Im also keeping my eye out for a POE PTZ camera to eventually add to this NVR. I have Blueiris now and am curious how that is going to work with the NVR. Ultimately I want to be able to view all my cameras from my PC (other side of house from switch) and my TVs and cell phones. That might be too much to ask for though

Welcome @ryan98270

Question: Im shopping for my first NVR and I currently have an assortment of cameras. ..Im looking at an NVR bundle on Amazon (need a few more cameras) and found a Reolink NVR 8ch with 4 POE 4k cams. Am I able to add any of my non poe cameras to this NVR?
Remark: I currently have ZMODO cams (all non poe), Reolink cams (2 POE) and Wyze for indoor wifi cams

Replies:
1) Reolink - for numerous good reasons is not liked by members ( do search on that topic )
2) Zmodo - is even less liked.. again numerous good reasons
3) WiFi - also is not liked due to reliability and bandwidth issues. ( to make a reasonable reliable WiFi network takes money and work.. thus for most cameras better to go wired.. )
4) Match NVR with same OEM for cameras - do double check that features are supported by the NVR that the cameras have. ( example some "lite" NVR models do not support more advanced features )
5) When mixing OEMs for cameras better to consider Blue Iris ( many members are fans of that VMS here ) or another VMS that supports various cameras.

At this point, you are clearly going the most affordable route with your setup - so it is a good time to ask yourself if you can afford a better setup.

If you can, look for a used PC ( example intel cpu i5/i7 6th gen or better ) with Blue Iris is a good starting point.

Also, if you can afford it - I would look to replace those Zmodo cameras first...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ryan98270

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do have Blue Iris, and while I am a network technician at a local ISP with decent networking knowledge, I want a simple to setup and use system. I'm okay spending time up front and money isn't a major concern. I have a PC, more or less dedicated, and with 2 live streams the CPU is hovering between 35 and 45 %, I might be able to optimize a little more but Im thinking another PC is the way to go. I have a large house with many unusual angles, blind spots, entries and vulnerabilities so this system all said and done is going to be expansive and robust.

If anyone is im the Seattle area I'd be curious what someone might charge for an analysis of my outdoor needs and hardware recommendations. We have large trained Dog so im okay with my cheapo Wyze wifi indoor cams, their purpose isn't primarily home security.

I recently installed an 8 camera Lorex Costco special at my moms (much smaller) house and we were both happy with the UI and simplicity. I however would prefer POE and with the lengths of cable runs am going to have to get creative. She also uses 1 TV for viewing and reviewing, Id like to use my PC, phones, and TVs (separate floors) to view live feed.

An all in one NVR sounded easy, but I thought I could utilize both the NVR and blue iris, sounds like that may not work.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do have Blue Iris, and while I am a network technician at a local ISP with decent networking knowledge, I want a simple to setup and use system. I'm okay spending time up front and money isn't a major concern. I have a PC, more or less dedicated, and with 2 live streams the CPU is hovering between 35 and 45 %, I might be able to optimize a little more but Im thinking another PC is the way to go. I have a large house with many unusual angles, blind spots, entries and vulnerabilities so this system all said and done is going to be expansive and robust.

If anyone is im the Seattle area I'd be curious what someone might charge for an analysis of my outdoor needs and component recommendations. We have large trained Dog so im okay with my cheapo Wyze wifi indoor cams, their purpose isn't primarily home security.

I recently installed an 8 camera Lorex Costco special at my moms (much smaller) house and we were both happy with the UI and simplicity. I however would prefer POE and with the lengths of cable runs am going to have to get creative. She also uses 1 TV for viewing and reviewing, Id like to use my PC, phones, and TVs (separate floors) to view live feed.

An all in one NVR sounded easy, but I thought I could utilize both the NVR and blue iris, sounds like that may not work.
Blue Iris blows the doors off of any NVR when properly setup. No need for an NVR when you have BlueIris.

ryan98270

n3wb
Reaction score
Another newb question - cameras with optical zoom or varifocal lenses... When viewing recordings are you zooming digitally and losing image quality? If yes, is there such a thing as "Autozoom" that might fill the screen via zoom when motion is detected? Not necessarily autotracking, just an autozoom to be able to id someone in the middle of the picture recorded at say 2.7mm. Thanks again!

ryan98270

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the front of my house if anyone has recommendations on cameras. My road is a mostly private road with just a few houses and a dead end, off a busier road and we do get a lot of look-y loo's driving by and getting lost on our road. Id like to be able to read their plates as they turn on to our side road. The distance isnt that great, maybe 100 - 150 feet so a 25x PTZ seems wasteful but id love to autotrack the cars as they pass my driveways then turn around and come back. The only placement I can think of is near the spot light.. Perhaps PTZ is overkill and a couple fixed cams is the better choice

Attachments

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look in the LPR thread. LPR

You're trying to do too much with one camera. A PTZ will not focus, reliably enough or fast enough, to get plates on moving vehicles at night. In fact at night to get plates the shutter speed needs to be very high, 1/1000 or faster, leaving the image basically a black screen with just the plate and head or tail lights visible. Reliable LPR takes a dedicated camera or two.