What is the de-bricking process for HIKVision camera and NVR firmware updates?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Before I start the updating of the firmware for the HIKVision cameras and NVRs, I would like to know what is the de-bricking process in case a firmware fails to update properly.
What tools are needed? Is it possible to backup the already installed and functioning firmware from the camera and NVR for emergency restore?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If a firmware fails to update properly use TFTP to restore a working copy of the firmware.
http://www.hikvision.com/europe/support_more.asp?id=269
The above link points to the instructions only of the TFTP. When we download the TFTP tool from the download section of the same site then the tool is completely different from the instructions. It seems to be a much more upgraded version of a simpler version of the "Cisco TFTP Server" program located in http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/01 Software Tool Package/15 TFTP - Serial Command Upgrade Tool/

Which is the right tool for de-bricking?
The organisation and structure of software distributed by HIKVision is very messed up.

Reaction score
Which is the right tool for de-bricking?
The organisation and structure of software distributed by HIKVision is very messed up.
The TFTP tool i used to unbrick my Chinese DS-2CD2032-I hikvision camera is at this link: (Includes instructions and software)

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Z OLD/OLD Material/Software & Tools/TFTP-Update/

Download all files and save into a folder on your C: Drive, E.g. C:\TFTP_Software

I used this software to unbrick my camera after i had FTP'd the hacked hex file for the 5.1.2 firmware onto my camera which had the chinese 5.1.6 Build 140612 on it. the hacked file bricked my cam because i had used the hacked file intended for 5.1.2 not 5.1.6. The correct 5.1.16 hacked file was obtained via the link from JeremyFr in a previous post.

Link to post:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?162-How-to-hack-5-1-2-firmware-on-China-region-cameras-to-English&p=3450&viewfull=1#post3450

Last edited by a moderator:

s0albrig

n3wb
Reaction score
The TFTP tool i used to unbrick my Chinese DS-2CD2032-I hikvision camera is at this link: (Includes instructions and software)

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Z OLD/OLD Material/Software & Tools/TFTP-Update/

Download all files and save into a folder on your C: Drive, E.g. C:\TFTP_Software

I used this software to unbrick my camera after i had FTP'd the hacked hex file for the 5.1.2 firmware onto my camera which had the chinese 5.1.6 Build 140612 on it. the hacked file bricked my cam because i had used the hacked file intended for 5.1.2 not 5.1.6. The correct 5.1.16 hacked file was obtained via the link from JeremyFr in a previous post.

Link to post:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?162-How-to-hack-5-1-2-firmware-on-China-region-cameras-to-English&p=3450&viewfull=1#post3450
I confirmed this also works for the Hikvision 76XX NVR's too. I managed to brick my NVR while upgrading to the new 2.3.9 US BETA last week and I thought my system was ruined. Thanks for this post.

gbenassi

n3wb
Reaction score
I confirmed this also works for the Hikvision 76XX NVR's too. I managed to brick my NVR while upgrading to the new 2.3.9 US BETA last week and I thought my system was ruined. Thanks for this post.
How did you do that? I brick my NVR (7616-NI-SE P) tryng to upgrade with wifi network... Now I use the Tftp Server, but nothing happens when I connect the NVR to my PC using a cable and configuring the 192.0.0.128. Just appearing "test tpserver"

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do the lights come on any of the ethernet ports? You need a Gigabit port with auto crossover on your PC in order to plug them in directly with a standard cable.

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
any tftp server should work, its a very simple standardized protocol.. I run a tftpserver on my network that I can netboot any computer with and it brings up network based operating system installers for every OS I work with.. very handy and I've not had a computer through here that couldn't netboot in over 10 years.. (if it has built in network card it can boot off a tftpserver)

darrylb

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am trying to unbrick my 5.2 that went wrong... I run the tftp server, assign it 192.0.0.128 on my desktop (ip), I see the "TEST" statement show, but never get a connection. When I ping 192.0.0.64, I get about 3 ping responses and then it stops. a few minutes later, I get consistent pint replies. Any suggestions? I have tried another TFTP server, no success.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I am using the HIKTOOL right now, in an attempt to get this to work. It shows "HIKTOOL TEST", but nothing beyond that. I have turned the firewall off on my PC. I am using wireless, but only because I don't have a computer device I can use in the garage. Seems my work has group policy set on my work laptop to prevent me from using static ip...

darrylb

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, I was able to figure it out. For some reason, it seems to be very PATH SPECIFIC. I thought I was being smart, and using a different path. But by following directions exactly, I was able to get back in :)
Hello everyone,

I am trying to unbrick my 5.2 that went wrong... I run the tftp server, assign it 192.0.0.128 on my desktop (ip), I see the "TEST" statement show, but never get a connection. When I ping 192.0.0.64, I get about 3 ping responses and then it stops. a few minutes later, I get consistent pint replies. Any suggestions? I have tried another TFTP server, no success.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I am using the HIKTOOL right now, in an attempt to get this to work. It shows "HIKTOOL TEST", but nothing beyond that. I have turned the firewall off on my PC. I am using wireless, but only because I don't have a computer device I can use in the garage. Seems my work has group policy set on my work laptop to prevent me from using static ip...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tftp is a very simple protocol and the recovery is using hardcoded values, you cant change a single thing and expect it to work.. glad you figured it out.

MacPlus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks.

I have the same problem.
solved it?

darrylb

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, it was very picky about the exact path it was looking in. Also, I had to restart the camera a few times, and it finally grabbed it.

maxideus

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone help me out? I'm using TFTPserv and I finally got the NVR to see the TFTP server but it is giving a weird error.

[2015-01-04 00:42:02] TFTP server [192.168.0.73] initialized
[2015-01-04 00:42:25] Connect client success [192.168.0.249]Success
[2015-01-04 00:42:25] Open file failure[C:\TFTP-Auto-Update\econt_Vision-AV2000]

I do not understand the last line in the log, why is it looking for some econt_Vision-AV2000? I don't even know how that is related.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Odd. But shouldn't the TFTP server have an IP address of 192.168.0.128 for updating Hikvision cameras and NVRs?
What do you have on your network that has an IP address of 192.168.0.249?

maxideus

n3wb
Reaction score
Odd. But shouldn't the TFTP server have an IP address of 192.168.0.128 for updating Hikvision cameras and NVRs?
What do you have on your network that has an IP address of 192.168.0.249?
Hi and thank you for the reply. I can try changing the IP address of my computer but I don't think that will make a difference.

I had previously given my NVR the IP address of 192.168.0.249. I typically give my routers, switches, and other devices a static IP address in the upper end of the scope.

EDIT: I changed the IP address of my laptop to 192.168.0.128 with the same results. For some reason, the client (the NVR), is requesting for a file that does not exist. I tried with a tftpdserv software and I am getting a weird "BAD CLIENT REQUEST".

I really hope I didn't FUBAR this. :(