NVR VS Blue Iris

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know
I know
I know

There are thousands of threads on this topic.

I would just like an opinion on this topic.

I am contemplating Spending either $150 - $340 on a used desktop.

Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF Intel i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz 8GB RAM 500 GB HDD ($150) (ill probably add 8gb more of ram to bring the total to 16gb of ram.

HP Pavilion 590-P0107C Intel i3-9100 3.6GHz 8GB 1TB Wi-Fi+BT CD/DVD ($256)

Dell Inspiron Desktop 3880 i3-10100 processor, 8GB Memory, 1 TB Drive ($337)

Andy offered me the Dahau NVR 5216-4ks2 For $270

If I go with the prebuilt used desktop for $150. I save about $60 over the NVR (This savings includes the cost of everything necessary: HDD and Blue Iris)

I already have a POE switch (Cisco WS-C3560X-24P-L )

2 Questions do you think that $150 Computer should be enough to run BI or should I get one of the higher cost PC's?

or should I just go with the NVR ??

I hear that BI has a better app experience / better or advanced configurations / longer life time support.

With the NVR I will stuck with Dahaus cameras plus the possibility that Dahaua may stop supporting this specific model. Plus I hear the app experience with Dahau is significantly worse compared to BI.

I am definitely leaning towards the Used PC with BI.

I guess I am just curious which PC should I buy.

I want to buy once cry once.

(Yes I've read the

But I do not see any of the CPU's I've listed on that page)

Wilbur

n3wb
Reaction score
A few years ago I replaced an old PC based CCTV for a DVR (Not BI on the PC). The reason was nothing to do with specs, features or BI vs some other solution. The DVR simply records 9 channel 24x7 for a month and is enough to for me. No motion detection, no ANPR, no line crossing, etc required. If anything happens it is recorded. The reason I replaced the PC was running cost.
In the UK a 100W PC will cost about £130 per year to run 24x7. Your Intel i7-4790 CPU is rated TDP 84 watts alone. My DVR is rated less than 10W so I save over £100 per year. That's enough to replace my DVR every year or have a good night out.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
YES ==>> Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF Intel i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz 8GB RAM 500 GB HDD ($150)

YES ==>> "...do you think that $150 Computer should be enough to run BI....?"

Do a fresh install of Win 10 from a USB stick made here ==>> Windows Media Creation Tool

Put Win 10, BI program and BI's "db" folder on the SSD and BI video clips on a surveillance-rated HDD such as a WD Purple.

Optimize BI's settings as stated here ==>> Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

From the specs, that chassis can house a 3.5" HDD and if you need a place for a 2.5" SSD (although specs state it can accommodate a M.2 micro SSD) you may consider this ==>> Highfine Universal 9.5mm SATA to SATA 2nd SSD HDD Hard Drive Caddy Adapter Tray Enclosures for DELL HP

I've never used one but it looks like a great idea for $9 if it fits where the 5.25" slimline DVD fits. Besides, you probably won't need an optical drive; we download most programs and apps these day, right?

DVD-to-SSD.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reliability and Cheap to Run = NVR (Dahua NVR will support non-Dahua ONVIF compliant cameras, but not all features will be available. Just the same as running them under BI)
You also get to use the advanced Video Formats so you can store double the footage. Usually a heck lot more if your Dahua's suffer from the NVR issue forcing you to use CBR formats. They just seem to work perfectly on the NVR.
I think that model supports 2 x Internal Drives (up to 10 TB each), I am out of the NVR marker but that seems like a great price from Andy (assume it has no disk)
Flexibility and Like to Tinker = Blue Iris (you have on-going costs, such as BI Maintenance) and power usage is a lot higher.

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
YES ==>> Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF Intel i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz 8GB RAM 500 GB HDD ($150)

YES ==>> "...do you think that $150 Computer should be enough to run BI....?"

Do a fresh install of Win 10 from a USB stick made here ==>> Windows Media Creation Tool

Put Win 10, BI program and BI's "db" folder on the SSD and BI video clips on a surveillance-rated HDD such as a WD Purple.

Optimize BI's settings as stated here ==>> Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

From the specs, that chassis can house a 3.5" HDD and if you need a place for a 2.5" SSD (although specs state it can accommodate a M.2 micro SSD) you may consider this ==>> Highfine Universal 9.5mm SATA to SATA 2nd SSD HDD Hard Drive Caddy Adapter Tray Enclosures for DELL HP

I've never used one but it looks like a great idea for $9 if it fits where the 5.25" slimline DVD fits. Besides, you probably won't need an optical drive; we download most programs and apps these day, right?

View attachment 84265
Great find on all the equipment.

I'm definitely computer savy with a background in IT. But I definitely appreciate you taking the time to read and answer my post.

I am curious what is your current setup ? Pc/nvr/cams ?

What have you learned throughout this journey of home security and surveillance??

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Reliability and Cheap to Run = NVR (Dahua NVR will support non-Dahua ONVIF compliant cameras, but not all features will be available. Just the same as running them under BI)
You also get to use the advanced Video Formats so you can store double the footage. Usually a heck lot more if your Dahua's suffer from the NVR issue forcing you to use CBR formats. They just seem to work perfectly on the NVR.
I think that model supports 2 x Internal Drives (up to 10 TB each), I am out of the NVR marker but that seems like a great price from Andy (assume it has no disk)
Flexibility and Like to Tinker = Blue Iris (you have on-going costs, such as BI Maintenance) and power usage is a lot higher.
Does BI make up for the lost features?

Like IVS (intelligent video surveillance)
If I don't get the Dahua NVR, does/can BI still make up for this loss feature??

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am curious what is your current setup ? Pc/nvr/cams ?
Dell Inspiron 3650
Intel i5-6400
8GB RAM
Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 250GB
WD Purple 2TB
What have you learned throughout this journey of home security and surveillance??
After having owned or set up over a dozen DVR's and NVR's since 2010 and having used BI since 2014 in my home and installed 4 more BI setups for others...it's BI for me.

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dell Inspiron 3650
Intel i5-6400
8GB RAM
Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 250GB
WD Purple 2TB

After having owned or set up over a dozen DVR's and NVR's since 2010 and having used BI since 2014 in my home and installed 4 more BI setups for others...it's BI for me.
Only 2tb hdd ???

Sheesh i was contemplating splurging on a 10tb wd purple for $209. Ill probably just go with a 6tb for $126 now.

I guess that 10tb may be overkill.

How many days of recording is that for you ?

Your desktop, is it slow to use ?
Like a pain ? Or does it function fine. I understand probably only use it for BI.

But when you are using it, are you waiting on things to happen ? Waiting for programs to open / video to play / is their a noticeable lag ???

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does BI make up for the lost features?

Like IVS (intelligent video surveillance)
If I don't get the Dahua NVR, does/can BI still make up for this loss feature??
You do not lose IVS with Blue Iris - you simply set-up the camera with IVS and then have Blue Iris pull the triggers from the camera - done! What you lose is the ability to search BI based on a specific trigger like a human unless you bring in a 3rd party. The trigger is still there in Blue Iris and it will just show as a trigger, whereas Sentry or Deepstack can flag it as a human trigger.

The ability to add more cameras and from different brands and do 3rd party add-ons if you desire I believe puts the favor into Blue Iris.

Most NVRs will cap the bitrate you use. As long as your computer can handle it, BI can accept whatever bitrate the camera is capable of.

An NVR is a watered down computer with an underpowered CPU that is running 24/7...I still am running an NVR that feeds cams to my BI computer. The NVR is pulling more power than the BI computer...

I have had whatever the NVR operating system is running on go out. TWICE. Got to buy a whole new NVR - TWICE

I have had the ethernet port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

i had the HDMI port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

Most I ever got was 2.5 years. The only working part was the HDD that I simply moved from the old NVR to the new one. I got to the point of realizing that an NVR is simply a stripped down computer, so I went to BI and never looked back. I got tired of buying a whole new unit.

So in my BI Computer, at least if the SSD goes out, I can just replace it. If the ethernet card goes out, I can just replace it. If the HDMI port goes out, I can just replace it. etc.

Personally I gave up on NVRs because I have found them to be clunky and a struggle to review clips and if a component goes out like the internet port, then you are stuck buying a new NVR whereas a computer part goes out and you replace just that component. I went to BI on a dedicated machine and haven't looked back.

Keep in mind that not all NVRs are created equal - look at bandwidth - an all in one box unit NVR like a Lorex or Amcrest is usually limited to 80Mbps total bandwidth for all the cameras and limits cams to 4096 bitrate, so once you look at an NVR that can pass a higher bandwidth, the dedicated computer and Blue Iris was cheaper in my case. Pros and Cons to each and many people on here run NVRs successfully.

joemom

n3wb
Reaction score
I started a lot like you about a year ago. Have had a dvr for years. And wanted to upgrade to a nvr. My 1st blue iris system was a dell optiplex 9010 i7-3770. It was rock solid. I helped a company who wanted about the same system. But they are not as good with computers. So for that install we went with a Dahua NVR5232-4KS2. And 2 poe switches in 2 different out buildings. They are happy with just 1 cat6 cable going into the main building.(instead of 20 bnc cables) So i just upgraded my system with a 7th gen i7 7700k. The only reason i upgraded was to get the H265 encoding instead of the H264. For ease of use i would go with a nvr every time. but i love blue iris. I would not have upgraded if i didn't find a computer on ebay for only $250. Both of my computers would run my 10x4 MP cameras(IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE ) recording 24/7 at 15% to 20% cpu usage. So if you go with a pc/Blue iris i would suggest a i7 7th gen or newer just for the H265 encoding. And you can find off lease computers on ebay for about $250.(if you watch and wait) if you go with a nvr. I like one without the built in poe. having the flexibility to run all the cables to a basement or closet. and still have the nvr in a office or more accessible location is nice.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your desktop, is it slow to use ?
Like a pain ? Or does it function fine. I understand probably only use it for BI.

But when you are using it, are you waiting on things to happen ? Waiting for programs to open / video to play / is their a noticeable lag ???
Boots in 10 seconds, no lags anywhere with BI and BI Tools open.
Open Chrome, no lag, open OBS, no lag.
Runs 5 each 2MP / 1080p cams at 15FPS, CPU at 20% when no motion, would be lower if I got off my duff and upgraded my May 2020 v5 to later version that provides substreams.

The other day I streamed YouTube live to BI using OBS while running all the cams (YouTube as a cam), no lag anywhere, CPU got to 55% with motion from real cams piled on...still no lag... your 16GB and the latest version of BI with substreams would put your performance over the top.....IMO, you'd be VERY happy with it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A few years ago I replaced an old PC based CCTV for a DVR (Not BI on the PC). The reason was nothing to do with specs, features or BI vs some other solution. The DVR simply records 9 channel 24x7 for a month and is enough to for me. No motion detection, no ANPR, no line crossing, etc required. If anything happens it is recorded. The reason I replaced the PC was running cost.
In the UK a 100W PC will cost about £130 per year to run 24x7. Your Intel i7-4790 CPU is rated TDP 84 watts alone. My DVR is rated less than 10W so I save over £100 per year. That's enough to replace my DVR every year or have a good night out.
A modern pc will not use 100w. The TDP rating is not the amount of power it uses. Most of my Blue iris machines use 25-40w including the drives.

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I started a lot like you about a year ago. Have had a dvr for years. And wanted to upgrade to a nvr. My 1st blue iris system was a dell optiplex 9010 i7-3770. It was rock solid. I helped a company who wanted about the same system. But they are not as good with computers. So for that install we went with a Dahua NVR5232-4KS2. And 2 poe switches in 2 different out buildings. They are happy with just 1 cat6 cable going into the main building.(instead of 20 bnc cables) So i just upgraded my system with a 7th gen i7 7700k. The only reason i upgraded was to get the H265 encoding instead of the H264. For ease of use i would go with a nvr every time. but i love blue iris. I would not have upgraded if i didn't find a computer on ebay for only $250. Both of my computers would run my 10x4 MP cameras(IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE ) recording 24/7 at 15% to 20% cpu usage. So if you go with a pc/Blue iris i would suggest a i7 7th gen or newer just for the H265 encoding. And you can find off lease computers on ebay for about $250.(if you watch and wait) if you go with a nvr. I like one without the built in poe. having the flexibility to run all the cables to a basement or closet. and still have the nvr in a office or more accessible location is nice.
I got this for $155 shipped. What do you think ?

C8T90AV HP ProDesk 600 G1 NO OSX 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD i7-4790 3.6GHz

I know you recommend a 7th gen, but for $155 with 16gb if ram. This should surely be enough right ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A 4th generation is fine now that Blue Iris has the substream option to bring the CPU usage down now. You will not be able to use H265 and Hardware Acceleration, but not a deal killer if the price is right.

Make sure that you do all of the optimization in the wiki.

You do not have an operating system on that, so you will need to get Win10.

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A 4th generation is fine now that Blue Iris has the substream option to bring the CPU usage down now. You will not be able to use H265 and Hardware Acceleration, but not a deal killer if the price is right.

Make sure that you do all of the optimization in the wiki.

You do not have an operating system on that, so you will need to get Win10.
How useful is the h265 and hardware acceleration.

The h265 is essentially just for compression of files correct? Meaning it will make the file size smaller ??

What does the hardware acceleration do ??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How useful is the h265 and hardware acceleration.

The h265 is essentially just for compression of files correct? Meaning it will make the file size smaller ??

What does the hardware acceleration do ??
In theory H265 is supposed to provide significant storage savings (like 50%), but in reality I saw it to be within minutes between H265 and H264. Many on here have reported less than a 10% storage savings. As always YMMV.

Hardware acceleration reduces CPU usage and energy usage by taking advantage of Intel Quick Sync video. Between the minimal storage savings of H265 and the reduction of CPU usage and energy usage, it is best to run H264 with hardware acceleration.

joemom

n3wb
Reaction score
I got this for $155 shipped. What do you think ?

C8T90AV HP ProDesk 600 G1 NO OSX 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD i7-4790 3.6GHz

I know you recommend a 7th gen, but for $155 with 16gb if ram. This should surely be enough right ?
Yes it will do a vary good job. what size hard drive are you planning to put in it? i went with Seagate Exos 16TB Enterprise HDD X16 SATA 6Gb/s 512e/4Kn 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST16000NM001G . it's a bit of over kill. and it makes just a bit more noise then my WD purple.

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes it will do a vary good job. what size hard drive are you planning to put in it? i went with Seagate Exos 16TB Enterprise HDD X16 SATA 6Gb/s 512e/4Kn 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST16000NM001G . it's a bit of over kill. and it makes just a bit more noise then my WD purple.
How much was that hdd ?

I was going to go with a 6tb wd purple for $126

What do you think that about ?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.