NVR VS Blue Iris

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh the irony of a thief who wants to protect his shit from being stolen.

You guys are really upset over me pirating windows from a billionaire like bill gates and microsoft.

Brother please believe i am not your enemy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are really upset over me pirating windows from a billionaire like bill gates and microsoft.

Brother please believe i am not your enemy.
Oh, so its ok to steal from the rich? What is the magic number? 1million in assets? 50? 100? 1 billion? When is it ok to steal? Do you have a basic understanding of economics? Every legit customer ends up paying more because you steal - just like when you shoplift.
You are a scumbag criminal no better than those we are attempting to catch with surveillance.

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh, so its ok to steal from the rich? What is the magic number? 1million in assets? 50? 100? 1 billion? When is it ok to steal? Do you have a basic understanding of economics? Every legit customer ends up paying more because you steal - just like when you shoplift.
You are a scumbag criminal no better than those we are attempting to catch with surveillance.
Oh this guy is mad mad.

Ok Mr high and mighty, I'm gonna stop here.

I have better things to do with my time than argue ethics and morals with an internet tough guy.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm pretty tech savvy, i can get windows for free (torrents)
How much of the money goes to Bill Gates?
He donates A LOT of money and has their own charity devoted to helping others.
That $40 out of your licence money could of gone to someone needing it to survive.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Thinking back to when I could think... I used to take windows 7 images from Macrium reflect ( paid editions) and use their tool to "move image to new hardware". like from 1 dell laptop to another Dell laptop, or from a Dell Laptop to a Dell desktop.
Usually it worked. Once I had to call MSFT and tell them I had the product key, but I was moving the whole thing to a newer PC. they let it ride. But with a 4th gen intel its probably a windows 7 key embedded. in that HP you bought. You might be able to get it to upgrade to windows 10 legit and not have to worry. I have done that a few times. Now I'm lucky if I can remember to....wait.....I forgot.....dammit.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm pretty tech savvy, i can get windows for free (torrents)
I wish I could bring irony to this.

If you weren't in IT I would of sent you to watch videos about networking from here:
ka.PNG
Why?
Because that's another place were Bill Gates puts his money.
Allowing you and your kids to get free education.

I'm wanting to hear stories of your IT background in torrenting Windows @Grierts . Dodgy malware on employees computers sounds like a fun company to be part of.
Don't stop there, I want to know this story!

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wish I could bring irony to this.

If you weren't in IT I would of sent you to watch videos about networking from here:
View attachment 84541
Why?
Because that's another place were Bill Gates puts his money.
Allowing you and your kids to get free education.

I'm wanting to hear stories of your IT background in torrenting Windows @Grierts . Dodgy malware on employees computers sounds like a fun company to be part of.
Don't stop there, I want to know this story!
Assume much ?

Jeez ,, had i know you guys had such an issue with torrents aka stealing to you guys. I would have never brought it up. I understand my audience in this site now.

Ill only speak of cameras and my weekly volunteering hours at my local old people's home .

Grierts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now you've got me curious when it's okay to steal :wtf:.
Me being honest, I find. A way to to compartmentalize / separate it.

Going to a store and 5 dollar discount , bad.

Sure I can agree with that.

Downloading microsoft windows / adobe pro/ video games / ehhhh why not ?

Maybe it's the fact that there are no repercussions, fire up a vpn and I'm good.

I grew up with Limewire/ kazza/ the internet.

I never honest thought about the morality of it

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh this guy is mad mad.

Ok Mr high and mighty, I'm gonna stop here.

I have better things to do with my time than argue ethics and morals with an internet tough guy.
You are a fucking crook and you will no longer get free support here on this forum. you are exactly the type of person we are trying to protect ourselves from.

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got 2 Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF ( i5 4590 / 16GB each ) that I have as spares and was contemplating using them for BI. Would this setup work as I am currently have Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 @ 15 cams from 2-5mp all starlight with 12tb HDD.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got 2 Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF ( i5 4590 / 16GB each ) that I have as spares and was contemplating using them for BI. Would this setup work as I am currently have Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 @ 15 cams from 2-5mp all starlight with 12tb HDD.
Yes, you can even run the NVR in parallel if you want redundancy.

A member here has a 4th generation PC running 50 cameras at sub 40% CPU usage. The substream option of Blue Iris makes that possible.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the i5 might work, but how do you feel about exchanging the i5 for an i7 4790? I have a similar Optiplex 7010. with an i7 3770 and 32GB ram. It was running 13 camera's even before I substreamed BI. After I learned about substreams and enabled it, I think it would have certainly run a couple more cameras. I think the Ram I have is 667mhz. I think your 9020 can take 800mhz ram. more bandwidth is better.

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the i5 might work, but how do you feel about exchanging the i5 for an i7 4790? I have a similar Optiplex 7010. with an i7 3770 and 32GB ram. It was running 13 camera's even before I substreamed BI. After I learned about substreams and enabled it, I think it would have certainly run a couple more cameras. I think the Ram I have is 667mhz. I think your 9020 can take 800mhz ram. more bandwidth is better.
I want to sell my 2 Dell 9020 and get that funding $$ for a newer CPU that you suggested i7 4790. I'm looking at some Dell 7050 OptiPlex MT, as a offer up seller is willing to trade for my 9020.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope people don't think im slagging off BI but im not

i was looking forwards to making my own nvr system the lot ive built servers in the past ect and delt with cctv systems before so decided to do this.

setting it up was easy and it did a good job but 2 days of building it and it was set to continues recording it said it caught movement but it would only play back 2 seconds and nothing was their but in the preview you can see someone looking in the garden

trying everything to see what had happend and nothing showed up i then found BI had turned off continues recording and set it to motion but it did not capture anything :(

so decided to move to a nvr and afraid to say this was a better idea
This is user error on your part. You failed to read the help file on basic setup. Do you think all our BI systems record only 2 seconds? I know exactly what you did wrong too. You selected continuous+triggered without knowing what it does. Lots of folks with zero server or cctv experience setup blue iris. Surprised that an "expert" like you cannot. Too bad you didnt ask what you did wrong before determining that it was a blue iris problem. If you think NVR's dont have issues, take a look at the forum...You just gave up a tremendous amount of flexibility and instead are using a toy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
lol the problem their is tho i tested it out for the first 3 days and it was set to continues and motion and their was no problem as i set up a camera in 1 room and left the pc on 24/7 and checked to see if it worked also checked to see if the motion worked and that worked to but then installing it into its new home and it did that (i have to test things before fitting)
You failed to read the manual. Continuous+triggered is the WRONG setting. It does NOT do what you want. If you want to record continuously AND to mark the triggers, you simply set to continuous then setup motion detection. This is explained in the manual and in a bunch of threads created by "experts" like you who didnt read the manual.