NVR vs dedicated PC

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Out of interest, if I want to get the cameras setup before I've got the PC going, how would I view their live streams to determine their best position and lens settings?
Before BI, I used the free Dahua iDMSS app on my iPhone/iPad, which allows me to view the camera while I was on the ladder adjusting it. If you have an Android, I think the app is gDMSS or something like that.

FWIW, I love Blue Iris, but to me, it did feel a little bit overwhelming at first. If you haven't already found them, there's a post in the Blue Iris subforum here where someone made a lot of bite-size YouTube tutorials on the different Blue Iris features. Even though you don't have your BI PC yet, might be worth going through some of those (as you have time), so by the time you do have the PC and are ready to get everything set up, it will already seem familiar.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll have a look for those YouTube tutorials and the Android app...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it is always adviceab, to use a test rig for temporary mounting of your camera to test out locations where you think you might want cameras. 8ft 2 by 4, 5 gallon bucket and some rocks will make a portable test rig for your cameras. It's recommended to test for a minimum of 24 hours for each camera location before permanently mounting. That's said once you hook the camera up to a network if you have Wi-Fi, you can then view your cameras with your phone & tiny cam while adjusting the cam.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One other thing - with the PC, I'm planning to buy a 4TB WD Purple hard drive. Based on all the posts I've read here and calculations, that capacity should suffice (at least initially) with 4 cameras recording at a sensible frame rate and bitrate. If in future I want to add another 4TB hard drive will I be able to do that or will I need to swap out the original 4TB HD and replace with an 8TB HD? Sorry, I've not done this sort of thing before so probably a really noob question.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One other thing - with the PC, I'm planning to buy a 4TB WD Purple hard drive. Based on all the posts I've read here and calculations, that capacity should suffice (at least initially) with 4 cameras recording at a sensible frame rate and bitrate. If in future I want to add another 4TB hard drive will I be able to do that or will I need to swap out the original 4TB HD and replace with an 8TB HD? Sorry, I've not done this sort of thing before so probably a really noob question.
you need to use a calculator to figure out storage...4tb will not be enough if you record continuously..
look for a tower pc that holds 2x3.5 drives...many do not - even "towers"

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I did the calculations I based them on each camera using about 5 Mbps (H.265 compression) and having 4 cameras. That was giving me about 2.5 weeks worth of recordings per camera on a 4TB hard drive.

So when you say 4tb won't be enough do you mean I don't really have much room to increase number of cameras and/or increase the recording history window?

P.S. the 5Mbps figure was something I picked up on this forum for the Dahua Starlight camera...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I did the calculations I based them on each camera using about 5 Mbps (H.265 compression) and having 4 cameras. That was giving me about 2.5 weeks worth of recordings per camera on a 4TB hard drive.

So when you say 4tb won't be enough do you mean I don't really have much room to increase number of cameras and/or increase the recording history window?

P.S. the 5Mbps figure was something I picked up on this forum for the Dahua Starlight camera...
recording history...you can use motion detection with very sensitive settings and long pre and post recording times to significantly increase storage duration...for some folks 2 weeks is plenty others want to go back a month or more.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh OK. Yea I felt 2 weeks would be fine for me so no issues with not being able to keep recordings farther back than that.

And actually, I was estimating based on continuous recording previously because I was going down the NVR route. Now that I'm going down the PC route, I understand the motion-based recording capabilities of BlueIris are much better than an NVRs so I may actually end up doing that and increase storage duration in the process.

But let's say I do want to increase the history or I add a bunch more cameras later on - what are my options if I already have a 4tb HD? I've been looking into the type of PC recommended in the wiki which wouldn't be a tower so with those "normal" PCs, can you not add another HD to it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh OK. Yea I felt 2 weeks would be fine for me so no issues with not being able to keep recordings farther back than that.

And actually, I was estimating based on continuous recording previously because I was going down the NVR route. Now that I'm going down the PC route, I understand the motion-based recording capabilities of BlueIris are much better than an NVRs so I may actually end up doing that and increase storage duration in the process.

But let's say I do want to increase the history or I add a bunch more cameras later on - what are my options if I already have a 4tb HD? I've been looking into the type of PC recommended in the wiki which wouldn't be a tower so with those "normal" PCs, can you not add another HD to it?
best option is to buy a pc that can hold 2...why do you say the wiki does not suggest a tower? buy a tower that specifically says it holds 2 3.5 in the specs..problem solved.
otherwise you can use NAS

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm, I've been looking at the business class desktops like the HP EliteDesk and Dell Optiplex suggested in the wiki. Not sure about the Optiplex but the EliteDesk 800 G2 which has all the right specs can only hold one HD. Are there tower versions of these PCs I need to be looking at instead?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, I've been looking at the business class desktops like the HP EliteDesk and Dell Optiplex suggested in the wiki. Not sure about the Optiplex but the EliteDesk 800 G2 which has all the right specs can only hold one HD. Are there tower versions of these PCs I need to be looking at instead?
..the elitedesk and prodesk towers can hold 2...the Dell towers cannot

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So any EliteDesk or ProDesk PC will have two? Or do I need to look for tower variants?

The ones I've been watching on eBay are small form factor EliteDesk PCs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So any EliteDesk or ProDesk PC will have two? Or do I need to look for tower variants?

The ones I've been watching on eBay are small form factor EliteDesk PCs.
you need the tower...some newer elitedesk sff (the new design) say they can hold 2, but i have yet to confirm...you will need to talk to hp....the tower is not that big..

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apart from the HP EliteDesk and Dell Optiplex PCs are there any others ppl have had good experiences with?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Apart from the HP EliteDesk and Dell Optiplex PCs are there any others ppl have had good experiences with?
any business class pc with windows 10 pro...those are mentioned because they are readily available and cheap...dont over think it.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK thanks. Glad I asked about the additional HD bay otherwise I was close to plumping for one of the Optiplex PCs!

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to make a final decision on whether I use an NVR or dedicated PC for my home security setup. Lots of people on here have mentioned that a PC with BlueIris software provides "much more flexibility" but is there a post on here which clearly outlines the pros and cons of each option?

I currently do not have a PC I could use so I'd have to buy one, same goes for an NVR.

My broadband router, switch and CAT6 cables are all located in a discreet storage area so I was thinking an NVR could be easily accommodated there to keep my setup clean and cables out of visibility. But I just want to make sure I understand the pros and cons before I make the final decision.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Just a quick thumbs up for BI and a dedicated PC. One issue I had with a client was they had occasional power outages and the PC didn’t always turn back on. If they were away for the weekend the system would be down. Setting wake on lan in the BIOS and using Fing from my mobile allowed me to power up the system if needed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a quick thumbs up for BI and a dedicated PC. One issue I had with a client was they had occasional power outages and the PC didn’t always turn back on. If they were away for the weekend the system would be down. Setting wake on lan in the BIOS and using Fing from my mobile allowed me to power up the system if needed.
I have never seen a pc not turn back on after power restoration if its set to do so in the bios...having to do it manually via fing is teasing Murphy.

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have never seen a pc not turn back on after power restoration if its set to do so in the bios...having to do it manually via fing is teasing Murphy.
I looked, couldn't find AC power recovery anywhere in the BIOS. It was a first for me too.