NVR4108-4KS Recordings Paused by Thieves

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I would inquire if any neighbors were abducted into the sky, where hideous medical experiments were conducted on them. If they look at you all puzzled then it just means their memories were wiped, too.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh man, this is better than a science fiction movie,. I am going to go pop some more popcorn!

hotwheels498

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What if the OP is in on this car heist plan, he turned off his system and then stole the car. Then come on this form to make a post to show the cops as a distraction.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
What if the OP is in on this car heist plan, he turned off his system and then stole the car. Then come on this form to make a post to show the cops as a distraction.
Good idea, but I thought I had read the cops already examined the interior camera recordings, and the last motion event showed the OP watching Netflix in the living room, rather than pulling the power plug in the office.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL I was also thinking the same thing.

WoodenTop

n3wb
Reaction score
Im going for government agency using NVR manufacturers backdoor (they exist) so they can covertly ''steal" their targets vehicle and then bug it. "Hey we found your vehicle Mr Target you can have it back now".

Government agency forgot to delete/edit logs. OP uncovered the truth and has now mysteriously disappeared along with his neighbour.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Most car thieves in the uk don’t seem perturbed by cameras and if they want the car will simply break in and take it. Seem plenty of cctv footage of thefts and they couldn’t care less and don’t even seem bothered by the cameras.

Jimbo7

n3wb
Reaction score
Fascinating thread.

If I had to (wildly) guess at the most likely attack vector:
1. OP's main (not guest) wifi network hacked (WPA2/PSK has known vulnerabilities)
2. Packet sniff the network traffic looking for NVR login events with a view to some sort of key replay attack or similar.
3. At the time of the theft, log in to the OP's Wifi and disable the recording/reboot essentially using the OP's own credentials.

(2) is 100% supposition of a suitable mechanism and vulnerability existing. I don't even own any Dahua kit (yet - package from empire tek en-route).

It is odd to think that anyone would go to such measures to avoid identification when a balaclava would do, but perhaps the aim was more focused on ensuring they weren't disturbed, and increase the chances that the theft would go unnoticed for the duration of time it takes to render a (presumably tracked) stolen car untraceable...

J

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My comments:-

Does that type of NVR by any chance have an IR Receiver that could have been accessed/operated from outside through a window?

Some NVR's have come with TV style IR remote controls.

The Wi-Fi network will be vulnerable to KRACK KRACK - Wikipedia it is a vulnerability in the WPA2 protocol itself so it no longer really matters how good your WPA2 password and username (used as a P/W salt) are - easy especially with the repetitive network traffic coming from video cameras showing images that mostly have nothing moving on the video.

AFAIK RADIUS uses MD5 encryption for one of its initial handshakes - MD5 is known to be insecure - there is an extension to use with RADIUS to mitigate the MD5 problem - try Diameter (protocol) - Wikipedia OR Kerberos (protocol) - Wikipedia it is all a question of picking a style of security vulnerability you can work around.

Was it possible to access the Wired LAN by unplugging a camera to access its Ethernet cable?(or other LAN device - some Printers have an Ethernet LAN Port + built in Wi-Fi module + built in Bluetooth module and if the two Radio modules are not secure OR totally switched off you can access the LAN via the printers Wi-Fi - networked printers have always been a security issue) - is there any access control running on the hardwired LAN to prevent any device just being plugged in temporarily instead of a camera?

Some people I have come across even intentionally have outdoor LAN ports - they say they unplug them indoors when they are done using them so they are then dead outdoors - but how long until they forget to unplug?

Did not notice (too lazy to go back and read it again) if Camera passwords had been changed from default.

Did not notice if system is set to record only on motion or continuously - continuous recording is the only way to go (with motion alerts of course).

Using an Internet providers router is almost always a recipe for disaster - they cannot cope with non-stop data traffic.

RF Radio Frequency attack on cameras with Radio Jamming Device (Army Surplus device from a jeep or other vehicle to jam roadside IED's) - do the cameras have metal bodies that have been effectively earthed or are the cameras plastic bodied - the RF would happily travel down that UTP LAN cable and could affect the NVR - that would depend on a thousand variables BUT jamming IED's works and that also depends on thousands of variables.

UPS Uninterruptable Power Supply - you MUST have a UPS & everything vital for operation MUST be plugged into it - get a big name/brand UPS like APC in a decent size / capacity & NOT the APC Home Office/Domestic versions meaning only get the APC Commercial grade.

Have you tested your UPS battery's recently???? Meaning unplug the mains and see if the UPS will actually run and power the connected load for say 80% of the run time the UPS is reporting (via its management interface) that it can manage. Alternatively a calibration test can be triggered on the UPS to test out just how good (or bad!) the batteries are at present.

But as you guys have already said it could just be the perp looking for excuses to give to local law enforcement.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My comments:-

Does that type of NVR by any chance have an IR Receiver that could have been accessed/operated from outside through a window?

Some NVR's have come with TV style IR remote controls.

The Wi-Fi network will be vulnerable to KRACK KRACK - Wikipedia it is a vulnerability in the WPA2 protocol itself so it no longer really matters how good your WPA2 password and username (used as a P/W salt) are - easy especially with the repetitive network traffic coming from video cameras showing images that mostly have nothing moving on the video.

AFAIK RADIUS uses MD5 encryption for one of its initial handshakes - MD5 is known to be insecure - there is an extension to use with RADIUS to mitigate the MD5 problem - try Diameter (protocol) - Wikipedia or Kerberos (protocol) - Wikipedia it is all a question of picking a style of security vulnerability you can work around.

Was it possible to access the Wired LAN by unplugging a camera to access its Ethernet cable? - is there access control running on the hardwired LAN to prevent any device just being plugged in temporarily instead of a camera?

Did not notice (too lazy to go back and read it again) if Camera passwords had been changed from default.

Did not notice if system is set to record only on motion or continuously - continuous recording is the only way to go (with motion alerts of course).

Using an Internet providers router is almost always a recipe for disaster - they cannot cope with non-stop data traffic.

RF Radio Frequency attack on cameras with Radio Jamming Device (Army Surplus device from a jeep or other vehicle to jam roadside IED's) - do the cameras have metal bodies that have been effectively earthed or are the cameras plastic bodied - the RF would happily travel down that UTP LAN cable and could affect the NVR - that would depend on a thousand variables BUT jamming IAD's works and that also depends on thousands of variables.

UPS Uninterruptable Power Supply - you MUST have one & everything vital for operation MUST be plugged into it - get a big name/brand UPS like APC in a decent size / capacity & NOT the APC Home Office/Domestic versions meaning the Commercial grade.

Have you tested your UPS battery's recently? Meaning unplug the mains and see if the UPS will actually run and power the connected load for say 80% of the run time the UPS is reporting (via its management interface) that it can manage.

But as you guys have already said it could just be the perp looking for excuses to give to local law enforcement.
Nonsense again. Krack has been repaired. Any modern update router is not vulnerable. Please dont mislead.
You really think these car theives unplugged a camera did their thing and plugged it back in all nice? really?
All this is nonsense. Nothing happens.

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nonsense again. Krack has been repaired. Any modern update router is not vulnerable. Please dont mislead.
You really think these car theives unplugged a camera did their thing and plugged it back in all nice? really?
All this is nonsense. Nothing happens.
As I already said it could just be a Perp looking for excuses to give local Law Enforcement.

But Wi-Fi WPA3 is on the way because WPA2 alone is no longer enough (just like WPA1 & WEP are nowadays considered security jokes but back in the day they were thought of as perfectly secure - looking back a ludicrous conceit) and Plain Vanilla style RADIUS is getting rickety - it has been a long week so instead of me having to explain it all here is an article that just covers the tip of the WPA2/3 iceberg What Is WPA3, and When Will I Get It On My Wi-Fi?

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are a fair number of android devices that never got a KRACK patch. Also plenty of IoT devices and printers that were never updated.
Plenty of routers in the world are sadly still vulnerable to a WPS pin attack.

Part 3 - Wireless Security
In my PROFESSIONAL opinion Wireless and Security are two technologies that oppose each-other dramatically; like hitlers WW2 enigma devices tought the world that you can never be sure if your BROADCASTING your communications to anyone in listening range, despite technology advancements.. Its like trying to keep a conversation private between two people with mega-phones a block apart.

The only acceptable place for a WiFi security device is a portable monitoring device such as your phones/tablets, since your security will not be compromised if those loose connectivity.

Lets go over our wireless security options:
WEP = Cracked quite quickly with enough captured packets; and IP Cams generate a constant stream of them.
WPA = Easily brute forced, if WPS is enabled its basically wide open... Can be hijacked with ease, I can run an access point with same Name/ID and your devices will gladly connect and tell me the password to your network.
WPA-TLS = Only one left standing hasn't been broken; you cant hijack or man in the middle it because of certificate authentication.. needlessly complex for individual users and few WiFi devices even support this.

Did you know anyone can send a deauth packet to knock your cameras off the wireless network? despite encryption? Within 30mins I could make a small hand held device that knocks everything off there wifi networks with parts I have laying about.. check this out: danmcinerney.org

What good is your security camera when anyone could just make a universal remote to "turn it off" when they approach to steal some shit?

same can be said for wireless security sensors, I have a 5w handheld walkie talkie that can broadcast on the same frequencies most GE wireless sensors work on.. If I broadcast noise with that transmitter I am basically jamming out all the little 100mW security sensors for a mile or so.. not to mention my 50w HAM radio that if used nefariously could jam out all wireless sensors to the horizon.​
the largest attack vector for your network is going to be YOU, downloading something and infecting your computers on the network and allowing hackers past your firewall.
Like I said; what your imagining is never gonna happen.. whats really going to happen is your going to click on a link and get ransomware that encrypts all this data and then charges you a lot of money to decrypt it again.. because clearly anything on your network can just wreak havoc too your files and your the biggest security issue on the network.

Unless your targeted by a government agency that scenario's not going to happen; because the'll be planting evidence to toss you in Gitmo.. if they want to do this; your not gonna stop em w/a lil network security.

If they break into your wifi they can sit in the safety of their car, or bedroom if its a neighbor and not be standing on top of a latter with a laptop in there hand running a bunch of hacking tools trying to compromise your data [using an ethernet cable].. if you ever find your self in this situation with an idiot james bond, just shoot the motherfucker.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As I already said it could just be a Perp looking for excuses to give local Law Enforcement.

But Wi-Fi WPA3 is on the way because WPA2 alone is no longer enough (just like WPA1 & WEP are nowadays considered security jokes but back in the day they were thought of as perfectly secure - looking back a ludicrous conceit) and Plain Vanilla style RADIUS is getting rickety - it has been a long week so instead of me having to explain it all here is an article that just covers the tip of the WPA2/3 iceberg What Is WPA3, and When Will I Get It On My Wi-Fi?
Please stop misleading. There is no known hack for WPA2 on an updated router. It's also important to think a bit when coming to these silly conclusions about what car thieves might be doing.

eengineer

n3wb
Reaction score
AFAIK RADIUS uses MD5 encryption for one of its initial handshakes - MD5 is known to be insecure - there is an extension to use with RADIUS to mitigate the MD5 problem - try Diameter (protocol) - Wikipedia OR Kerberos (protocol) - Wikipedia it is all a question of picking a style of security vulnerability you can work around.

RF Radio Frequency attack on cameras with Radio Jamming Device (Army Surplus device from a jeep or other vehicle to jam roadside IED's) - do the cameras have metal bodies that have been effectively earthed or are the cameras plastic bodied - the RF would happily travel down that UTP LAN cable and could affect the NVR - that would depend on a thousand variables BUT jamming IED's works and that also depends on thousands of variables.
Negative and negative.... RADIUS is just accounting/auth, the transport is selectable (tunnel), you don't have to use MD5 and in fact, it is only used these days within an existent TLS tunnel between the client and the server.... so it's moot, because you have to break the encapsulation (TLS). MD5 hashed passwords are only then a risk at the storage level of the RADIUS backend, if it is compromised, as MD5 is pretty much dead since the beginning of rainbow tables, and even more now with GPU assisted cracking (hashcat and co).

As for "RF jamming" of cable devices: that ain't happening. There is a balun at every ethernet phy/port which pretty much renders that impossible as far as radiated EMI/RF goes. Twisted pair is also a factor, it does not just reduce cross talk.... and then there's FTP cable. IED triggers also usually operate under microwave frequencies, nowhere near 2.4 or 5Ghz. Educate yourself before making these grandiose claims... it's middle America, not Ch-Iraq. RF does not just "radiate into cables and arrive at the NVR" (or anything else). For coupling to happen there's a heck load of factors involved (impedance mismatch, shielding, length of the wires, twisted pair bringing its own issues, RF field strength, filtering stages at the target, including the balun mentioned earlier.....) , but long story short: not a chance, though it makes for an intriguing tale.

source: I have the equivalent of an Extra hamradio license (in Europe there is a similar breakdown of licenses, but we don't have the lowest level the ARRL has, you get General or Extra, or nothing, exams are quite similar), and got a whole shelf of equipment behind me right now (spectrum analyzers, RF generators, programmable attenuator...). I work with RF engineers regularly....

CCTV Guy

n3wb
Reaction score
You know, sometimes sh- er, stuff just happens at an inopportune time. I had a bank that was a customer that had an early DVR. It was checked by the branch every day and by their Corporate Security Department weekly. They had a hostile takeover, in which the thieves held everyone at gunpoint. Upon exiting the bank, there was running gun battle with the local police department (which the thieves lost). When I arrived to pull video for law enforcement, the DVR had no power. I determined the power supply was bad and replaced it. It was then that we discovered the DVR, that had been in continuous service for more than three years, blew the power supply less that 20 minutes prior to the robbery. While I was on site, I actually received a dispatch to check the unit, as it was not communicating with their Corporate Security Department. The FBI actually interviewed me, as they thought the coincidence was too convenient.

I was cleared. Just in case anyone was wondering <grin>.

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OMG I can't believe how much activity this thread has created since my last visit.
As suspected by fenderman and many others,it appears to be a hardware fault.
I have monitored the performance of my NVR since the event and had another reboot take place last night which indicates a hardware issue.
I have now set a maintenance reboot to take place during the day on my NVR but I think I'm now going to replace it to a NVR5208-8P-4ks2 to be on the safe side.

Thanks for all the attention input/advise and theories which this thread has attracted. It has certainly made some entertaining reading.