NVR4108-8P-4KS2 Network Access

nelson

n3wb
Reaction score
Based on the recommendations on the forum here I bought Dahua cameras and a NVR4108-8P-4KS2 NVR.

Now I know I can connect the NVR directly to a monitor and control it from there and it works fine but I'd really like to connect to it through the network but it doesn't seem to work.

Going to the NVR IP address prompts me to install chrome add ons and when I do I get a really garbage interface that doensn't load any camera feeds.

I downloaded SmartPSS and that works well for viewing the cameras live but when I try to view the recordings it says "No video available for Cam1".

Did I make a mistake buying this NVR? It seems fairly useless if I need to physically connect a monitor every time I want to view the recordings.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Nelson,

If you are attempting to use a browser - try IE, not edge.

Do look at the Dahua OEM software to access the NVR.

Also, not useless to run the NVR as a traditional setup. Many people do this to keep it isolated from the internet. Makes keeping it secure fairly easy.

nelson

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. By Dahua OEM do you mean SmartPSS? That's the software I found on the Dahua site.

Reaction score
I'm looking at the same thing. I plan on hooking the NVR up to a TV but would like the flexibility to check and monitor the cameras/clips via mobile device or home computer. I guess the catch is to still have it be secure but have internet access. I'm also a newbie on this as well. I'm really close to pull the trigger and get this NVR along with three cameras.

nelson

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not even really worried about internet at the moment just trying from the same network! But it doesn't work. So unless somebody can tell me how to fix it I wouldn't recommend one of these NVRs. I'll probably end up setting up a server and running some other software on that.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have two of the NVR4208-8P-4KS2 and have no problem using the web interface to the NVR (local or remotely ) using the Pale Moon browser, and/or the Seamonkey browser (IE should work too). Web interface is the way to go and works great. I have 3 other DVR/XVR's that I access the same way.

nelson

n3wb
Reaction score
This is weird, I can get to the interface and it will even load the camera feeds but not the recorded video, it's just blank on the browser and SmartPSS says no video. But when I look locally on the NVR it's all there.

nelson

n3wb
Reaction score
I figured it out! The time on my NVR was set to tomorrow so I guess my computer was getting confused because all the video was in the future. Still not too impressed with the interface and connection (and why doesn't it work in chrome?) but seems like it might do the job at least.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you upload a screencap of what you see on the playback tab? Should be something like this..

playback1.jpg palyback2.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I figured it out! The time on my NVR was set to tomorrow so I guess my computer was getting confused because all the video was in the future. Still not too impressed with the interface and connection (and why doesn't it work in chrome?) but seems like it might do the job at least.
Good deal, congrats.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is weird, I can get to the interface and it will even load the camera feeds but not the recorded video, it's just blank on the browser and SmartPSS says no video. But when I look locally on the NVR it's all there.
When you get sick of it, look at pc based vms like blue iris.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Nelson,

Lots of discussions on browsers and compatibility with various products.

The bottom line is the browsers are quickly evolving to become more secure and drop support of ActiveX, Flash, and other technologies which are less secure or failing to keep up.

Also remember, security camera systems get rather complex once you start noticing all the levers and options available - thus not an easy job to translate that into a simple clean UI.

Also note, that there are VMS products like Blue Iris which are very popular with those here who have used both the NVR and Blue Iris - so you may want to try that.

Don't worry, doesn't mean you need to toss the NVR - you can setup a system where the videos are recorded in multiple places thanks to them being IP cameras.

nelson

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everybody. Definitely will look into switching in the future, I got this since it was a pretty easy drop in until I can figure out an optimal setup later on but that's not a bad idea anyway of having multiple recording locations.