NVRs & ONVIF

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
G.711 is whats used for VoiP calls all around the world; its not low quality... its low bandwidth and low latency.. most of my IP cameras support other codec's though, such as AAC/MPEG Layer2

There's nothing wrong with using G.711 w/a security camera however; Your not trying to reproduce music picked up by the mic in full fidelity.. just people talking, and thats what these codecs were designed for.. I often wish my audio books were encoded in a high quality G.711 instead of a very low quality MP3.. the voice audio would compress much better and still sound decent, where the MP3 just sounds full of artifacts at 32kbps

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I myself have a long running SMB VoIP blog and co-produce a telecom podcast. I completely understand where G.711 comes from. I'd like something better in this case. Doesn't need to be music grade. Latency is not a concern. Just need something more akin to G.722 to improve intelligibility.

I see that some cameras and encoders offer AAC+, but it's not apparent how I can access that.

I've noted that the NVR only allows me to record audio from the secondary stream from the camera. It's disabled for the primary stream.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have no idea the capabilities of those Tribrid NVR's, but my normal IP NVR handles all the codecs I toss at it regardless of the stream..

Screenshot 2017-02-01 11.34.55.png

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NVR4104-P is not a tribrid. It's small IP NVR. It's a current international model.

I presume that you are posting image of the web interface. I've not been able to get to that. It demands that I download a Chrome extension, which doesn't seem to do anything. I get a login prompt but no further.

So thus far I've done the setup locally on the NVR.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
use IE or Safari, the Chrome Extension is an App you have to run then load the browser.. it wont let you load the NVR from Chrome directly, open new tab, click apps, click the NACL Web Plugin then put in your NVR IP

eug2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry to dig up and hijack this thread but I've been trying to find a good DVR to work with my Grandstream cameras which I've purchased for my renovation (I purchased them as I have their IP phones and thought it might be a neat feature to be able to dial in and view/talk to the cameras from the video phone if required). I have an 8 camera set-up (combination of GXV3611IR_HD and GXV3610_FHD), with potential to expand if required (random things like baby/nanny monitors in the future) which may well take me away from having the grandstream brand. I prefer to use OSX/iOS where possible, but happy to run a virtual windows set-up if absolutely required.

Anyway, I've read some pretty terrible things about their own NVRs (though Michael, you said you thought your GVR3552 worked well enough with their own cameras so interested to hear about your experiences as I understand the remote viewing is pretty bad (I am on OSX), there is no app available, and searching through recordings is difficult too - reading the amazon reviews really puts one off it!).

So, I was wondering how you went with using the Dahua NVR? Did it work well with the Grandstream cameras? I was looking at a non-POE 5216-4ks2 model. Should this model be compatible with the aforementioned Grandstream cameras? The cameras claim to be ONVIF compliant, but I can't tell which rev. Should I just try the Grandstream NVR as it is a fair bit cheaper than the Dahua and also auto configures/detects their own cameras - but I get the feeling I'll just regret it in the future?

Does anyone else have a recommendation for NVR that they have used and confirms works well with Grandstream cameras?

Thanks heaps in advance,

Eugene.

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Eugene,

The NVR4104-P works well with the GS cameras. The cameras support a slightly older version of ONVIF, but it's not a problem.

Incidentally, I did try an Amcrest camera with the GVR3552 and didn't seem to have a problem. The GVR saw the Amcrest camera without issue. The Amcrest camera was crappy so I returned it.

The GVR simply did not see the HDMI encoder that I was using, which is what forced the move to the Dahua NVR.

There is a beta of a free Android app for viewing GS cameras and NVRs. It's not available for general download. You have to get it through their beta program. When I point that at the GVR it sees all the attached cameras immediately.