Ok I have 2 options Advise

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am in a time crunch so this isnt ideal I know and not what I really want. But I can always upgrade in the future. In reality none of this shit will really last that long from my experience so by the time i get ready to upgrade i will probably need new stuff anyway. I can make 8 cameras work it isnt perfect by no means but I just I need it for surveillance at night mainly and for the family when I am gone. Not really needed for facial reg. and license plates etc.. Just need something to see someone coming/movement and the alerts would be nice. Not that much crime or people moving around where i live and there is always someone home. I am in a very rural area!

Option 1
Dahua all the way
NVR 4208-8p-4k 8ch 1u 8 poe
8 X cameras Duhua 6mb IPC-HDW4631c-A 2.8
WD Purple 2tb HDD
HDMI splitter HDMI cables for runs to 2 TV's
IR Illum. for the front of house havent decided on brand from amazon yet one of those in the cliff notes most likely
cat5e and connecters
Install my self

Option 2
lorex system from best buys $539 8 camera 4k kit. I dont have any research on this just found it. I suspect it isnt too good but might be a good option for the time being and it is cheaper the option by a few hundred $$ price. Any input on this one?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lorex-8-channel-8-camera-indoor-outdoor-wired-4k-2tb-dvr-surveillance-system-white/6203503.p?skuId=6203503

On the 2tb HDD and the dahua cameras think i could get 24/7 for 2 to 3 days with that? That is all I need.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dahua and consider a BI machine like an HP SFF. More latitude.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am in a time crunch so this isnt ideal I know and not what I really want. But I can always upgrade in the future. In reality none of this shit will really last that long from my experience so by the time i get ready to upgrade i will probably need new stuff anyway. I can make 8 cameras work it isnt perfect by no means but I just I need it for surveillance at night mainly and for the family when I am gone. Not really needed for facial reg. and license plates etc.. Just need something to see someone coming/movement and the alerts would be nice. Not that much crime or people moving around where i live and there is always someone home. I am in a very rural area!

Option 1
Dahua all the way
NVR 4208-8p-4k 8ch 1u 8 poe
8 X cameras Duhua 6mb IPC-HDW4631c-A 2.8
WD Purple 2tb HDD
HDMI splitter HDMI cables for runs to 2 TV's
IR Illum. for the front of house havent decided on brand from amazon yet one of those in the cliff notes most likely
cat5e and connecters
Install my self

Option 2
lorex system from best buys $539 8 camera 4k kit. I dont have any research on this just found it. I suspect it isnt too good but might be a good option for the time being and it is cheaper the option by a few hundred $$ price. Any input on this one?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lorex-8-channel-8-camera-indoor-outdoor-wired-4k-2tb-dvr-surveillance-system-white/6203503.p?skuId=6203503

On the 2tb HDD and the dahua cameras think i could get 24/7 for 2 to 3 days with that? That is all I need.
Welcome @firefly556

The best buy kit is a coax kit:
Lorex - 8-Channel, 8-Camera Indoor/Outdoor Wired 4K 2TB DVR Surveillance System - White
Model:LHV51082T8KXW
SKU:6203503

in general if you are running new lines most of us here recommend going cat6/5e and IP PoE not a DVR kit.

Also your first option appears to be a Chinese market camera..

Thus I highly recommend taking some more time learning before you purchase a system.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Buy from Andy if Dahua and get 2MP Starlights. Take some time and read the Wiki, it’ll save you time and coin.

Last edited:

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know I dont have the time to do the BI now. This is just a temp solution until I have time to do it right.I did see a reolink system in play today my brothers neighbor had a system and it didnt look bad at all. I was surprised because of all the bad reviews I have read. He has had it running for about 7 months without a single issue. The system looked good and I may go this route. It would be really fast shipping and a easy set up. Plus it is a cheap and disposable.

I was planning on buying the cat 6 and at least I dont have to redo those lines in the future. Yes the cameras are Chinese but they all are and I dont care. this whole chinese are spying on us thing. well they can look at my driveway and yard all they want. ANother thing I have learned this stuff is like the RV industry. It's yours when you buy it. If you cant wrench it then your shit out of luck.

When I do this right I do plan on at least 4 maybe more of Andy's starlight's for sure maybe a starlight ptz. This is just for now I have less than 2.5 weeks before I go wheels up for 120+ days straight for work.Overseas! I doubt I will have time until spring to really get a nice set up built with BI etc... I really like the idea of the BI set up because I like different cameras from multi companies and that is just a fantasy with a nvr set up. I had no idea this was so complicated. But thinking on it all the trouble we have with this stuff at work, I know why now. Ummm you guys may come in handy if we have a problem this go around.

thanks for the help. Now I have to make a decision in the next 24 hrs on what I am doing. Keep up the good work on here this is a amazing site.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe the comment above about the cameras in your first system is not that they're made in China, but that they're models built for the China market, not international or US. Thus, they'll have hacked firmware, which may not work properly, and which will "brick" the cameras if you try to update the firmware. Avoid!

The problem with insecurity in a camera system is not that someone will be spying on your video feeds. The problem is that an NVR or camera that is not properly blocked from accessing the internet provides a "man on the inside" of your home network. You are giving the cameras and NVR both access to the inside of your firewall, and access to the internet.

This allows hackers or the manufacturers themselves direct access to all traffic on your network. Lots of these cameras have backdoors built in and/or are easily discovered and hacked.

Remember that an IP camera is a powerful computer with wide bandwidth connections to allow it to stream video. And you have no idea what it's programming really is, much less any way to protect it with antivirus or the like.

The only way to make using these cameras safe is to isolate them from direct access to the internet. But when you set them up going by their instructions, you are giving them that access.

This really does end up being far more complex than you'd imagine when you first get interested in it. And the vast majority of people blissfully (and ignorantly) just scan in the QR codes on cams, and install the remote apps on their phones, etc. And it works!

But they end up with gadgets that they don't begin to understand to which they've handed the keys to the kingdom, so to speak.

The bad guys generally don't care about your video. It's everything that gets sent or received via your network that they're after.

If you get a good NVR and good cameras, that alone is not enough. You still need to secure your installation.

Last edited:

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok well I am going to test things with dahua. Just ordered the 16ch dahua nvr instead of the 8 ch. ordered 2 of the dahua 6mp cameras, monoprice 1000ft cat5e, iptalk crimpers, rj45 ends, and 4tb wd purple hdd. Pissed about the HDD the 2tb wasnt available for a thursday deliver would have been next week. No one had it seems to be a hot seller.

I will try the cameras in as many of my planned positions and see how they do. Actually test the whole thing see if it works. If not back to amazon it goes but I guess I will be stuck with the cable.LOL If the cameras work I will order more and I may try to get a couple starlights from andy too. went with teh 16ch it was only $54 more and I figure what the hell chances are I will want and need more then 8.

couple of questions more issues popping up. I need the dvr and monitor in one room and the router/computer desk top will be in another about 30ft run. I assume that will be ok? The main reason is the outlets in the computer room are really close to maxed out, so I am scared this system may have cause issues. Plus all the wires will be easier to deal with in the other room.

This may help on the hdmi side of things instead of long hmdi runs this one cat5e run will diffidently change things for the best. I assume i could do a hdmi run from the computer and from the nvr.Correct or is it more complicated then that?

I do have one cable run that will have to be buried. Will this cat5e be ok for a few years buried or do i need conduit? This stuff is cheap so if it has to be replaced in a couple yrs so be it. opinions?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you happen to read the wiki at all? If you are mainly concerned about night time surveillance, the 6MP cams are not going to perform as well for the identification of face or license plates. The wiki goes into this extensively. My 2MP cams greatly outperform my 4MP cams at night. Dahua makes great cameras but you should invest some time in reading that wiki - the folks here spent a lot of time putting it together for folks like you who don't have a lot of time for research. In the end it will save you time & money. Kudos to not going Reolink, Dahua is definitely better.

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will see if it works if not Ill send it back why I only ordered two. The 2mp may be better but from the vids on utube not much difference from what I can see. In fact the one night vid of this 6mp was amazing. And you sure dont get facial or license plate with 2mp either. I want to try the 6mp first and see. If they dont work no big deal. I know they will work in the back yard the front will be another story but I think a ir illumnator will fix that. If not I ll switch over to the starlights and see if they work.

My research is come down to basically none of this shit really works. Its hit or miss with every brand from cam to cam. Even the reviews are so full of oversights,errors and just blatant misinfo it isnt even funny. Like vids comparing cameras at night with both of them side by side with both ir's on. I guess that is what makes this so frustrating its 50/50 on a pretty expensive purchase whether you get shit or roses. Plus no one makes a great system to get even close to something great you have to piece together stuff from across the whole market and that opens up a whole new set of problems.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
You do get plates and facial with the 2MP cams. The 2MP pixels do out perform the higher MP cams right now. Some of the newer 5241 series cams are giving the 2MP cams a run for the money but it is real close. Keep in mind the higher PM cams need more light at night and that's where the 2MP cams shine. Smaller # of pixels needed to jam all that light into the sensor. 6MP may look better during the day but at night, the 5231 series cams are still king of the hill.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..Plus no one makes a great system to get even close to something great you have to piece together stuff from across the whole market and that opens up a whole new set of problems.
FYI - Great systems exist, just consumers are not willing to pay the prices for it. They all want what they see on the Hollywood movies and CSI shows for < $200.... oh, and battery powered cloudy also...

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Seem quite a few threads like this, as they say, you can lead a horse to water .....

I almost fell into the need higher but then read and carried on reading and took the advice offered here and am glad that I did.

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well we will see. I should have everything tomorrow/today to test its going to be a long day and night.. I am going to test the two cameras in all my planned spots and see if they work.The front is the problem little to no ambient light. But if the camera is ok out to half what I need. The extra ir's should be enough to get close to what I want for now. If the 6mp suck like some of yall say, Ill look for other options.

The PTZ will solve everything but I dont have the time to teach that to the family. I need something that all they have to do is look at for now. I can live with not getting the road covered for now. That was mainly for me just being able to get a heads up and little more response time. I was wanting to leave the front dark gives me cover to move around. But I can always put in another security light actually cheaper then IR's and most likely will work better for the cameras. I have a tall pine tree and can get it up high to throw the light along ways.

Yes there are some great $$$$ stuff we use sony bullet style cameras overseas and they rock. But damn pricey. We even have the big ptz's with thermal etc... that we can zoom out a mile or so in reg mode. But these things are very temper mental and stay down alot. I talked with the tech once he said they were $100k cameras we had three of them on one site. Your tax dollars hard at work.

Im not spending thousands on a house project its not needed. Hell I dont even want to spend $1000 that this is costing me and for gray market stuff. Because of one damn pervert/thief! I still havent got a PTZ, computer and BI. It will be spring before I switch out the NVR and finish the system the right way- well gray market style. The industry could do a lot better in every aspect. They seem to only cater to these "security companies" who are ripping everyone off. A damn racket that should be investigated if you ask me. But I cant really blame them if idiots are willing to pay those prices oh well. A neighbor well maybe a mile away here that is a neighbor. I just found out today paid like $2800 for just a Ring system 6 cameras to be put in. It sucked but they loved it! I didnt say anything to hurt their feelings but damn!!!!

You want the utube vids search for them yourself. DOnt have time to hunt them back down and post shouldnt be hard to find just search for the camera models is the best way I found. There is a ton of stuff but this being the internet a lot of it is plain BS like most of the printed specs on this stuff apparently.

Might be awhile before I get back with results. Got a lot to do the next couple days/nights.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Well you’ve convinced me

Here are some snaps from my cams at night, would be interested to see the results from your testing.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..A neighbor well maybe a mile away here that is a neighbor. I just found out today paid like $2800 for just a Ring system 6 cameras to be put in. It sucked but they loved it! I didnt say anything to hurt their feelings but damn!!!!

You want the utube vids search for them yourself. DOnt have time to hunt them back down and post shouldnt be hard to find just search for the camera models is the best way I found. There is a ton of stuff but this being the internet a lot of it is plain BS like most of the printed specs on this stuff apparently.

Might be awhile before I get back with results. Got a lot to do the next couple days/nights.
Indeed once I looked closely, ring and the other cloud based wide FOV cameras are poor solutions.

Lots of misleading vendors out there, thus why we have the cliff notes here and member reviews of cameras.

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok quick update UPS didnt deliver until like 7pm, my luck as always. Well the install of hdd and quick set up went ok considering not one damn piece of instructions on anything. well one half ass sheet of paper on the nvr like 4 steps on the set up wizard.LOL I did not connect anything to the net or a computer just thru the NVR for now.

The ip adresss and gateways are all new to me so I need more study/info on that before attempting. It worked the first time, a big thanks to the electronic gods on that one. I didnt change anything on the monitor, camera or nvr what ever settings they came with is what I went with. I got a cheap $110 curved 1080p monitor off amazon with speakers specter brand I think. I figured it would do since the tvs are all 4k. I didnt see spending the money for a 4k monitor since I will be using the tv's mostly.

For a quick test I put the camera out the window on the front about 5 ft off ground between two bushes which blocked some of the ir and aimed at the front yd/road where I need and want coverage. That is about 130-140 ft away. I have no ambient light in front maybe just a little spill over from the back yd security lights about 350' plus away. The camera did surprisingly well in my opinion. I could clearly see the outline of my yard, flower beds, road and driveway.

I went out and walked around on the road. Now I could see someone walking but no way to tell who. I even did the digital zoom. Just no way to get any clear pic at that distance which I knew and that is acceptable for me at that range/camera. I just want to see someone moving around is my main goal in the front at that range, which is the main avenue of approach due to all the fences around me. I plan on using more cameras close in on the house for ID purposes etc... I am pleased with it but I think it will be even better with IR flood lights. you guys had me scared, I wouldnt be able to see 10ft with it.LOL

I will try the other spots tomorrow but at this time i will have to run a extension cord and take the whole set up nvr, monitor with me, I have a little cart I think this will do for just testing the planned positions. Tomorrow will be a good test I will see how they do in lots of ambient/white light areas. If they do good there I think I will go with these. I think I will order 1 starlight after I finish this post to see if they are better for the long range stuff just to be sure.

I looked at the ir lights on here any suggestions for the range I am doing? I really like the flashlight looking one from alexipress it suppose to be more flood light style and long range. But no one ever reported back on the results.

Also why is there no links for iptalk stuff I had no idea about the nvr. I sorta just lucked up on the crimpers. Then last night on amazon I found a 16 ch nvr. Those never showed up before on my nvr searches on amazon. Anyone have any experience with them? I could easily send this back if the iptalk one is better or newer model. I am thinking this one is maybe a yr or two old. But it does have all 16 ports on it so need for a switch.

AS of now I am HAPPY!

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok well I spent all day until 130am working on this stuff. The high light of the day is I am damn good at making the cat cables. That was a breeze just time consuming and I thought it would be a nightmare. After that I decided I would get everything connect to the net. For some unknown reason I was locked out of my router it took over a hour with att to get that sorta. And while I was on the line with them ,I found out I have no vpn sever thing included with this router. It is brand new as lighten blew the other one out in the floor a few weeks back. I thought all the new ones had that feature I guess not. SO i will either just forget that or buy a switch.

I did find a 408 page manual for the NVR! That should help. When it is all said and done didnt get connected to the net. The nvr wouldnt allow me back into the set up wizard. None of the software would cooperate either so I will deal with that this weekend. I had one computer on this site, another on utube vids and working on the one that will be attached to the nvr. Talk about a damn headache!!

I did awesome with all my planned spots. Only had to adjust one for sun glare but there is still some ir glare off the cars but i can live with it. Now the cameras. During the day these rock period, extremely pleased.

Now the night side of things. I couldnt get any decent face pics at any distance other then 10ft or less even with the digital zoom!!!! I did figure out the camera adjustments but I think there is more adjustments in the computer based software then the nvr has. The front cameras the long range ones just are not going to work they do great to about half of what I need. I can see outlines and movement that is it at long range. Hopefully the the ir's will improve this. The cameras did great on the short throws like the porch and even the longer ranges on the rear of the house with all the security lights. Even though they are clear I still dont get any pics of faces until like 10ft. I mean nothing!! I can clearly see people and what they are doing but not one usable face pic.

Took for ever to get rid of most of the motion blur. STill have some.

I do have a starlight on order and a IR flood light. I may just go with a security light out front dont want to but the difference in cameras on the front and back and are amazing. Clarity wise but to get that it took hours of reading threads on here and playing with the adjustments. Plus it is very clear I am missing a lot of adjustments by not using the software.

As of now these cameras are not performing like the couple I viewed on utube. At this point if the starlights do better in the front that is what I will go with. Because the 6mp face images at night are just as bad if not worse then the 2mp. I will keep the 6mp every where else they do great on short ir throws and when you have a lot of ambient light. I will know for sure next week because i will have them side by side.

questions

My cell phone a s6. I dont have that damn scan feature so is there a work around on those damn things you have to scan?

these cameras(any) at night are just not going to give you a face pic at any decent range? One camera covering front porch the door is like 15ft away I couldnt get any face pic at all.

What the hell is sampling rate? I couldnt find anything much on this adjustment.

Is there away around using a vlan? I suck at this computer stuff.

How do I get the NVR to go back thru the set up wizard?

Also do you guys set the subnet i dont remember what it is exactly called it is the secondary/recording adjusments on the camera. DO you set them the same as the main camera adjustments? I didnt I left the recording one in its default setting.

Should I stay with VBR or do CBR?

If you guys want pics from the cameras leave me a how to or link, vid etc... . Be detailed about it too, please. I suck at this computer crap.

Now for a few shots of jack then bed. ummm maybe a half a bottle.