One PTZ or two Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Vogel

n3wb
Reaction score
I need check on deliveries to my residence
Would like to use a PTZ as it should be able to follow arrival of cars and deliveries.
Only challenge is setting camera correctly up.
Maybe a wrong move... when reading some recommendations on this forum....

Alternative would be a set up of two Varifocals one for driveway, second for entrance around corner.
What I saw on videos not too impressed.
(personal opinion - maybe wrong)
First time involvement for me on security cameras.
Real issue is running of cables, Foam insulation in all outside walls and attic.
Garage has none, therefore one PTZ would be one issue less.
Tried to talk to some local security experts but their advice is financially on the high side (they do have to make a living too)
Thanks for commenting.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I need check on deliveries to my residence
Would like to use a PTZ as it should be able to follow arrival of cars and deliveries.
Only challenge is setting camera correctly up.
Maybe a wrong move... when reading some recommendations on this forum....

Alternative would be a set up of two Varifocals one for driveway, second for entrance around corner.
What I saw on videos not too impressed.
(personal opinion - maybe wrong)
First time involvement for me on security cameras.
Real issue is running of cables, Foam insulation in all outside walls and attic.
Garage has none, therefore one PTZ would be one issue less.
Tried to talk to some local security experts but their advice is financially on the high side (they do have to make a living too)
Thanks for commenting.
What didnt impress you about the 5321, the exceptional low light vision? yes you are wrong.
two would be better than 1 ptz...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Foam insulation typically doesn't fill the entire attic space.

Vogel

n3wb
Reaction score
Here comes the novice none knowledge.
I liked the capability of the ptz to automatically focus and enlarge object and follow.
Have not seen that on the other cameras.
I do understand that two cameras will be able to record more than just the person in question. Here I'm completely torn what would make sense.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here comes the novice none knowledge.
I liked the capability of the ptz to automatically focus and enlarge object and follow.
Have not seen that on the other cameras.
I do understand that two cameras will be able to record more than just the person in question. Here I'm completely torn what would make sense.
ptz tracking is not great...its a gimmick...it can only follow one object at a time and even then not perfectly...

Vogel

n3wb
Reaction score
Foam insulation typically doesn't fill the entire attic space.
You are correct, but running the wiring visible is just not my cup of tea, I have probably no choice in any way, as wifi with cameras is not the best

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct, but running the wiring visible is just not my cup of tea, I have probably no choice in any way, as wifi with cameras is not the best
you dont have to run visible wire...hire someone to do it right if you are unable to.

Vogel

n3wb
Reaction score
ptz tracking is not great...its a gimmick...it can only follow one object at a time and even then not perfectly...
I can not argue with you after having read a lot about the issues, but novelty has a real attraction than the proven set up.
OK you won on this one. Thank you very much....
Anything I can improve with the two cameras?
The visible field for checking on entrance to survey is not that far but around corner to garage. It can't see the garage, the second camera on top of garage has to survey the straight driveway 200ft.

I did use the software were you can plug in the location and camera product but don't feel it gives an accurate help. For brainstorming it may be ok.
Maybe even a third camera is required. That's why I originally thought about the PTZ on the corner which could handle everything.

Vogel

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for link, definitely a good primer in choosing the right product.
Thanks again!