One site page covers all?

Reaction score
I have an Asus rt-ac88u router and have no idea how to use it. I mean yes I am on the internet obviously but is there somewhere I can go to learn all the lingo and meanings to "Networking" ? like what are ports, subnet masks, 1pv6 and ipv4 ddns asuswrt vpns the list goes on forever it seems. This router has a bunch of settings and if there is not a choice for AUTO im pretty much a duck in tall grass.... LOST

I try to YouTube and read cliff notes but it just doesn't sink in. How did y'all learn? Is there a network bible somewhere that starts with the fundamentals? Everything on this forum that has to do with networking is over my head it seems. Sadly I've been around since windows 95 and have never ever once thought about a router except for wifi, and now that im trying to understand and instal ip cameras its painful. thank you for any direction or advice you can spare.

Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind is I cannot log into the 5g band on the router. Everything in the house is on the 2.4 band which isn't a deal breaker because everything works good.
But I live in the country and only have satellite internet so advertised speed is 10mbps but I've never seen over 7 tops and come 6pm its more like 2mbps. So with that being said only being able to use 2.4 is probably small potatoes, just bugs me.
second thing is what is DDNS ? will it help my speed or functionality? Basically I just want to know that my router is optimized for my setup to run as good as possible and glitchy free as possible. There are a ton of options and what appears to be tweaks on the router admin page.

I just bought a lorex nvr camera system with 8 cameras. My router has 8 lan ports on back. If I wasn't such duck I could have probably done without the NVR. but thats neither here nor there.

My end plan is to have nvr setup and view camera feed through out house on tiny cam pro via fire stick.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind is I cannot log into the 5g band on the router.
Most likely you have the SSID or key wrong. Others possible but check that first.

second thing is what is DDNS ? will it help my speed or functionality?
Dynamic DNS. It's to provide a host name to your network when you have an IP address that changes (as most home accounts do). It continually updates to provide the right destination. Basically, it ties a name to a number and in your client you use the host name vs IP address. Sort of like the directory on your mobile phone where you dial Mary vs 555-555-5555.

Basically I just want to know that my router is optimized for my setup to run as good as possible and glitchy free as possible. There are a ton of options and what appears to be tweaks on the router admin page.
Yes, lots of options. Some important ones:

Under WAN-UPnP, Turn off
Under Administration-System-Telnet, Make sure turned off. Can enable when/if you want.
Under Administration-System-Enable Web Access from WAN, Make sure turned off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sure what ssid and key are. Im guessing network name and password, those are correct.

wan-upnp was on, now off
telnet and web access were both off.
Do you recommend me doing the DDNS thing?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, network name and password

Don't need DDNS unless/until trying to remotely access. Then you'll also want to set up VPN on it. Easy on the Asus.

Reaction score
so when I disconnect from 2g wifi and select the 5g I enter in the password and it sits for a few seconds then the enter password screen pops up again with the password still in the box. I am 100% it is the correct password. but not giving an error or anything.

Reaction score
VPN discussions on here remind me a lot of which motor oil is better.... I think I read in wiki that the vpn is free? others tell me that you have to pay for good ones. :idk:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
In-coming VPN to your network using OpenVPN is built into the Asus. Just need to set it up on router and then client on phone.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
so when I disconnect from 2g wifi and select the 5g I enter in the password and it sits for a few seconds then the enter password screen pops up again with the password still in the box. I am 100% it is the correct password. but not giving an error or anything.
Try setting the 5 to another channel maybe.

Post a screen capture of your setup for that page. That will be easier to see what you have there.

Reaction score
1610422800342.png channel was in auto. I changed it just now to what it is and now its not even showing up when I scan for avaliable networks

Reaction score
good news. changed channel to 36 and now 5g is working. Hell its working great. 6.8mbps vs 1.86 on 2 ghz. Thats jumping around like a show chicken in my book! :lmao:
Thanks for your help Mike.