onvif.org allegedly threatens Doorbird with action based on an ipcamtalk.com user post

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
They cannot prevent you from using the term the way the poster did on the forum.
There's a difference between what Doorbird says in their sales and marketing vs what a reporter for a newspaper or a poster on a forum says. In the case of Doorbird, they are using the ONVIF trademark promotionally, so it can be restricted.

In our over 10 years of covering ONVIF, ONVIF has been very reluctant to actually enforce its trademark so this is an interesting case. From 6 years ago, related ONVIF Affirms No Policing, Abuse Away!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There's a difference between what Doorbird says in their sales and marketing vs what a reporter for a newspaper or a poster on a forum says. In the case of Doorbird, they are using the ONVIF trademark promotionally, so it can be restricted.
That is incorrect. Doorbird never used onvif on this forum. It was a random user and it was not promotional.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
That is incorrect. Doorbird never used onvif on this forum. It was a random user and it was not promotional.
Yes, I understand that. That was my point. ONVIF cannot enforce its trademark on a random user on a forum. ONVIF can enforce its trademark on Doorbird's own marketing.

Why anyone reached out to IP Cam Talk is strange but ONVIF going after Doorbird for using ONVIF on Doorbird's own marketing is perfectly reasonable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I understand that. That was my point. ONVIF cannot enforce its trademark on a random user on a forum. ONVIF can enforce its trademark on Doorbird's own marketing.

Why anyone reached out to IP Cam Talk is strange but ONVIF going after Doorbird for using ONVIF on Doorbird's own marketing is perfectly reasonable.
No one reached out to IPCT. They reached out to doorbird about the IPCT post.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Chevy integration with ONVIF

Microwave integration with ONVIF

Cow Bells integrated with ONVIF

I think I saw a sex toy with a camera on it one time.. wonder if they could integrate ONVIF into that?

ONVIF ONVIF ONVIF...

Attachments