onvif.org allegedly threatens Doorbird with action based on an ipcamtalk.com user post

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
onvif.org apparently threatened Doorbird, the ip doorstation maker, with action based on an innocuous post on ipcamtalk.com
Here is the post NVR integration with ONVIF Doorbird video doorbell
See attached message we received from doorbird.
onvif.JPG

We will not be removing any posts. There is no law, rule or regulation broken here. The shmucks at onvif should focus on their in house problems - ONVIF [Un]Trashed Statement, Confirms Dahua and Hikvision Still Suspended . Onvif is a joke and its about time there is an open solution to this nonsense.
onvif cannot stop someone from posting the word onvif on a forum. If they think they can, they can contact me directly so I can save them the service of process fee and we can get start litigation. What a bunch of bullies. Perhaps they should search the forum for issues folks have with onvif so they can improve their shitty work.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s such an innocuous post. Makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
onvif.org apparently threatened Doorbird, the ip doorstation maker, with action based on an innocuous post on ipcamtalk.com
Here is the post NVR integration with ONVIF Doorbird video doorbell
See attached message we received from doorbird.
View attachment 54317

We will not be removing any posts. There is no law, rule or regulation broken here. The shmucks at onvif should focus on their in house problems - ONVIF [Un]Trashed Statement, Confirms Dahua and Hikvision Still Suspended . Onvif is a joke and its about time there is an open solution to this nonsense.
onvif cannot stop someone from posting the word onvif on a forum. If they think they can, they can contact me directly so I can save them the service of process fee and we can get start litigation. What a bunch of bullies. Perhaps they should search the forum for issues folks have with onvif so they can improve their shitty work.
wow! This has got to be some crazy April fools joke.

"I need to contact this user because of a post he made, otherwise our company will be pressed with charges by ONVIF. ONVIF contacted us, and they want him to delete their trademark "ONVIF" from his post:" NVR integration with ONVIF Doorbird video doorbell" ( Feb 24, 2018 ). ONVIF thinks that we had something to do with this post because our name "DoorBird" is also in the title. But we don't have anything to do with it, and we certainly don't want to pay a fine to ONVIF. Please help us to contact this user or delete that conversation, .... "

Is a real legit message from a real doorbird representative?

I just can't imagine this is real. A request to censor a forum run in a nation which values freedom of speech and press along with individual rights and liberty.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
wow! This has got to be some crazy April fools joke.

"I need to contact this user because of a post he made, otherwise our company will be pressed with charges by ONVIF. ONVIF contacted us, and they want him to delete their trademark "ONVIF" from his post:" NVR integration with ONVIF Doorbird video doorbell" ( Feb 24, 2018 ). ONVIF thinks that we had something to do with this post because our name "DoorBird" is also in the title. But we don't have anything to do with it, and we certainly don't want to pay a fine to ONVIF. Please help us to contact this user or delete that conversation, .... "

Is a real legit message from a real doorbird representative? Natalja Stseglova.

I just can't imagine this is real. A request to censor a forum run in a nation which values freedom of speech and press along with individual rights and liberty.
They are in Germany so there is a translation issue.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
I asked ONVIF for a comment and will follow up if/when they respond (They just finished Intersec so I expect a delay).

Also, I checked ONVIF's website and Doorbird is an ONVIF member but has no products listed as conformant. Despite this, Doorbird lists an 'Onvif'-setting in many of their documents (screenshot attached). That, to my understanding, violates ONVIF's terms.

onvif cannot stop someone from posting the word onvif on a forum. If they think they can, they can contact me directly so I can save them the service of process fee and we can get start litigation.
In fairness to ONVIF, ONVIF did not do so, this is the request of Doorbird. I am quite positive that ONVIF does not want to 'bully' IP Cam Talk and that the message here is a misunderstanding.

However, for Doorbird, if they want to market ONVIF on their own materials, they should reasonably conform to ONVIF's requirements.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I asked ONVIF for a comment and will follow up if/when they respond (They just finished Intersec so I expect a delay).

Also, I checked ONVIF's website and Doorbird is an ONVIF member but has no products listed as conformant. Despite this, Doorbird lists an 'Onvif'-setting in many of their documents (screenshot attached). That, to my understanding, violates ONVIF's terms.

In fairness to ONVIF, ONVIF did not do so, this is the request of Doorbird. I am quite positive that ONVIF does not want to 'bully' IP Cam Talk and that the message here is a misunderstanding.

However, for Doorbird, if they want to market ONVIF on their own materials, they should reasonably conform to ONVIF's requirements.
Onvif requested door bird to instruct the user to remove the word onvif from the post. Any sane person reading the post would see there is no infringement. They are out of their minds.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Onvif requested door bird to instruct the user to remove the word onvif from the post
Have you verified that with ONVIF? Maybe that is true, maybe the poster (Doorbird) is mistaken. For sure, the poster is mistaken about 'pressed with charges' as I agree with you that appears to be a translation issue.

I am happy to help get clarification on this from ONVIF or you can contact ONVIF's spokesperson yourself - agural@eclipsemediagroup.net

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you verified that with ONVIF? Maybe that is true, maybe the poster (Doorbird) is mistaken. For sure, the poster is mistaken about 'pressed with charges' as I agree with you that appears to be a translation issue.

I am happy to help get clarification on this from ONVIF or you can contact ONVIF's spokesperson yourself - agural@eclipsemediagroup.net
I have no reason to doubt doorbird’s representation.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From onvif:

"Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue. That notice was sent inadvertently and no action by your organization is needed.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Kevin

Kevin A. Schader

Executive Director
ONVIF"

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wonder if ONVIF has contracted with a service that scours the Internet to handle their trademark being misused (i.e. unlicensed manufacturers claiming compatibility) and that service misfired and tried to have action taken when it found the thread here...

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Apparently ONVIF® is a registered trade name: ONVIF® Trademark Usage Policy. As such, they do have the right to mandate its usage. Whether it makes sense to pursue something as trivial as the instant example is another question entirely.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently ONVIF® is a registered trade name: ONVIF® Trademark Usage Policy. As such, they do have the right to mandate its usage. Whether it makes sense to pursue something as trivial as the instant example is another question entirely.
No they dont. You dont understand basic trademark law. They cannot prevent you from using the term the way the poster did on the forum.