ONVIF trigger events

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have never used the "Get ONVIF triffer events" feature in BI with my Dahua PTZ cams but would like to experiment with with it.
Does this feature work in addition to a BI trigger event or in place of it?
I noticed that on an infrequent occasion there is something recorded via a BI event but it may not be recorded on the camera SD card with the camera's trigger.
Subsequently, I typically see a lot more recordings on the camera SD card from the cam's own triggers than I see in BI.
I attribute this to the obvious that the camera's trigger configuration is configured differently than BI's trigger configuration.
If turning this on just adds to my triggered event recordings then that is ok and preferred by me.
Anyone have any answers to this quesiton or your own opinions over using the ONVIF trigger events?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never used the "Get ONVIF triffer events" feature in BI with my Dahua PTZ cams but would like to experiment with with it.
Does this feature work in addition to a BI trigger event or in place of it?
I noticed that on an infrequent occasion there is something recorded via a BI event but it may not be recorded on the camera SD card with the camera's trigger.
Subsequently, I typically see a lot more recordings on the camera SD card from the cam's own triggers than I see in BI.
I attribute this to the obvious that the camera's trigger configuration is configured differently than BI's trigger configuration.
If turning this on just adds to my triggered event recordings then that is ok and preferred by me.
Anyone have any answers to this quesiton or your own opinions over using the ONVIF trigger events?
It’s and/or

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It’s and/or
So if I use BI trigger, and turn on "get ONVIF trigger events", it is both?
I assume then if I disable BI trigger then turning in "get ONVIF trigger events" is the "or". Just want to be clear.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@marklyn
you are correct. OR- turn off BI motion detection. AND uses both BI motion detection and camera ONVIF

I started out using ONVIF for motion in the camera but went to BI as it is better at providing consistent data from different cameras and manufactures.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks SY. I'm discovering that some triggers are missing from BI trigger events that are being captured in the cam's trigger setup.
Like a fox that moves a couple of feet, the camera trigger captures that, but BI may not. I know I can configure BI trigger better maybe but wondering if using the best of both worlds makes as much sense as using one or the other.
I guess I'll play around and see if using one or the other exclusively or BI configured with more "lax" triggers with the cam configured with more strict triggers would be a benefit. In other words BI catches bigger events, cam catches everything.
Would appreciate any feedback from anyone that might have something similar set up.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Update, I am not getting ONVIF triggered events from my camera recording to BI. I have the "Get ONVIF trigger events" ticked on my settings, re-inspected the ONVIF search to the camera but the camera still records events to it's SD card and BI is not catching those.
This is for my Dahua 42212TNI camera.
Any idea what I might be missing?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ahh, I may have answered the question myself. There is a setting under trigger tab "Camera's digital input or motion alarm" that wasn't checked.
I will check that now and see if everything that is triggered by the camera is now recorded in the BI system. fingers crossed.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well heck I didn't answer my own question. The camera is still showing more triggered events than BI so something is not right but I can't see anything in the settings. As I basically understand it, if BI is accepting the ONVIF triggers from the camera then anything the camera triggers on with it's built in software should be recorded in BI, but it's not. Several obvious instances like people walking a dog, joggers, even cars. They're all on the camera's SD card though. Any suggestions anyone?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look at the video detection. That defaults to "on" when the camera first initializes and needs to be shut off. You can also delete the detection zone which defaults to full frame at the same time.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why would I turn that off? That is the motion detection that is correctly capturing video on the camera itself.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is an interesting question or thought (I think anyway LOL).

Does the ONVIF trigger work one way or two way between BI and the camera? Meaning I know that if you set up IVS type stuff that can be used to trigger BI recordings.

Does this also work the other way, meaning if you have a different camera trigger the camera with ONVIF, would it send a command back to the camera itself to trigger a function?

What I am looking for is the ability to trigger the audible alarm on one camera from another camera. I have been able to get BI to trigger that camera in the "on alert" section and record motion and show up as a triggered event in the timeline, but it doesn't actually trigger the alarm itself on the camera - is that even possible with BI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting question or thought (I think anyway LOL).

Does the ONVIF trigger work one way or two way between BI and the camera? Meaning I know that if you set up IVS type stuff that can be used to trigger BI recordings.

Does this also work the other way, meaning if you have a different camera trigger the camera with ONVIF, would it send a command back to the camera itself to trigger a function?

What I am looking for is the ability to trigger the audible alarm on one camera from another camera. I have been able to get BI to trigger that camera in the "on alert" section and record motion and show up as a triggered event in the timeline, but it doesn't actually trigger the alarm itself on the camera - is that even possible with BI?
Its possible but you would need to get the api and know the proper command to send using webrequest or running a script in the alerts tab or more easily by simply sending alarm audio from blue iris to the cam.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm at a dead end as far as getting triggered video from the camera along with BI triggers. The BI triggers are working as I expect them to and the triggers from the camera are working and saving to the SD card but not to BI. I'm going to take a step back and then start all over again by setting up one of my cameras from scratch. Maybe I missed something. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing one.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I am missing something obvious LOL. I have the IPC-T5241H-AS-PV camera with the built in audio alarm and LED light and trying to trigger those functions when a different camera is triggered and haven't been able to simply send alarm audio from BI to the cam. I will keep trying to come up with a script or web command as well, but was hoping someone had already figured this out. I am guessing with DIO it may be easier to perform than built-in to the camera?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess I am missing something obvious LOL. I have the IPC-T5241H-AS-PV camera with the built in audio alarm and LED light and trying to trigger those functions when a different camera is triggered and haven't been able to simply send alarm audio from BI to the cam. I will keep trying to come up with a script or web command as well, but was hoping someone had already figured this out. I am guessing with DIO it may be easier to perform than built-in to the camera?
wittaj, do you mind opening a new thread with your issue, you're hijacking my thread with a different issue. Thanks.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@marklyn
What make and model camera

Need screen shots IN BI for the camera settings
1) PTZ control
2) Network IP configuration
3) Alerts

Will need screen shots from the camera configuration later

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@marklyn
What make and model camera

Need screen shots IN BI for the camera settings
1) PTZ control
2) Network IP configuration
3) Alerts

Will need screen shots from the camera configuration later
SouthernYankee,
It's a Dahua 42212TNI
Other things you asked for are in the attachments. Thanks.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It has been a while since i used ONVIF. But I believe that the ONVIF needs to be check in the alerts tab. Test that, if that does not work we will move to the camera.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It has been a while since i used ONVIF. But I believe that the ONVIF needs to be check in the alerts tab. Test that, if that does not work we will move to the camera.
ohhhh, I bet you're right... I overlooked that when I checked settings... I'll know later when I match up the camera trigger videos saved vs BI saved trigger videos. Thanks SouthernYankee!