Openthings.io - I was a jerk to them

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
Edited by fenderman: This guy is obviously a lunatic. He is a pompous prick s and the owner of open garage was justified in telling him to fuck off.

Everyone should check out OpenGarage.io - its a great product. The OP tried to intimidate the developer and lost.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the first conversation I had with their support. I was asking where I could download the app to test it out (to make sure it doesn't have ads, feedback nags, etc.) The product I was interested in was called Open Garage, which is basically a standalone smart garage door hub. Here is where things get muddy. The app to use that product is actually called OPEN SPRINKLER, and that phrase is listed nowhere on their website OpenGarage.io, just like their manual isn't either. So this was a legitimate question that I recieved this response to.

View attachment 166780
Here is the conversation I had when I asked why their user forums were down.

View attachment 166781

Here is the "owner" of this "business" that is likely ran out of his basement. It's hard to imagine a medical professional can behave like such an arrogant * to potential customers like this. For someone that claims to be so smart, I would have expected more logical responses. Maybe he outsources his customer service to russians on discord. Who knows at this point.

View attachment 166783
i
There are lots of businesses like this who dont want to deal with customers like you who will be a headache. You have obviously not included the entire conversation. However, based on what you included you were being a prick. This guy doesn't need you or care about your negative post. In fact, your post here has just advertised this product to thousands of users for free.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well I did find the app quickly.

When I go to their website and hit Purchase, OpenSprinkler comes up.

I am not a programmer and don't use GitHub and I found the manual fairly easily.

From quickly looking at this, this is a homegrown product that can be incorporated with home automation and other stuff, so someone really should have working knowledge of Github and some programming to make it work. The whole website reads of that.

For a $50-$85 item that requires knowledge of programming, I don't think you will get a lot of hand-holding from the developer.

You readily admitted in your response to him that you are not a programmer, so this is obviously not the right product for you.

You need a consumer market product that is simply plug it in and scan a QR code.

Chamberlain makes one that you can get for half the price of OpenGarage, but it won't be customizable and able to work into home automation like the open source product.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
i
There are lots of businesses like this who dont want to deal with customers like you who will be a headache. You have obviously not included the entire conversation. However, based on what you included you were being a prick. This guy doesn't need you or care about your negative post. In fact, your post here has just advertised this product to thousands of users for free.
The only part that was not attached was the original message I sent when I submiited my tickets that did not get included in the email. I don't like your tone either, so I am reporting you, staff member or not.

The fact of the matter is that the customer is always right. Those who do not understand that golden rule will go out of business eventually. I hope I draw more attention his way. That is the point of this review buddy.

Last edited:

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I did find the app quickly.

When I go to their website and hit Purchase, OpenSprinkler comes up.

How am I supposed to know what the APP is called prior to making a purchase? How was I supposed to know to search for "open sprinker" from the perspective of a visitor that is not ready to make a purchase? It was a simple basic question that gets asked MILLIONS of times in the tech world.

I am not a programmer and don't use GitHub and I found the manual fairly easily.

Good for you.

From quickly looking at this, this is a homegrown product that can be incorporated with home automation and other stuff, so someone really should have working knowledge of Github and some programming to make it work. The whole website reads of that.

This is a plug and plug product that someone with only a handyman level skillset should be able to install. The basic function of open a garagae door through the app only requires an initial setup of the hub and to connect it to the app. That is more along the lines of networking than programming. I shouldn't have to dig through a bunch of folders to find a user manual. User manuals are like road rules. They should be clearly written and posted in plain site.

For a $50-$85 item that requires knowledge of programming, I don't think you will get a lot of hand-holding from the developer.

Programming usualy refers to CODING, not making a few wiring connections and pressing a few buttons through a webUI.

You readily admitted in your response to him that you are not a programmer, so this is obviously not the right product for you.

No contest.

You need a consumer market product that is simply plug it in and scan a QR code.

No contest.

Chamberlain makes one that you can get for half the price of OpenGarage, but it won't be customizable and able to work into home automation like the open source product.

Yeah and its garbage and periodically nags the user to set up Amazon key, even if that service isn't even available where they are located. Hardly a smart automation device.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Um I did not edit my post, but ok LOL.

You are completely wrong about OpenGarage. If someone has opensource documents on Github for it, that is the first clue that it is not a plug-n-play solution. Thus why it is open source so that a user can modify it.

If Chamberlain didn't work for you, then you need to find another similar solution. Lots out there.

But if you see something that says open source and has a github, then you probably need to steer clear of it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm from the OpenGarage website and selecting Support, a list of the manuals show up there too....

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm from the OpenGarage website and selecting Support, a list of the manuals show up there too....
Well maybe the guy learned from the negative google play rating I gave him :winktongue:

All I know is that regardless of whether I ask a stupid question or not, this person was out of line, and deserves to be made an example of. The only times I see businesses using this communiucation style with paying customers is at scrap yards, bodegas, flea markets, and drug dealers. Get the picture? If this guy is so smart then why can't he have chat GPT run his support emails if he has so many better things to do than to answer a simple question.

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
Um I did not edit my post, but ok LOL.

You are completely wrong about OpenGarage. If someone has opensource documents on Github for it, that is the first clue that it is not a plug-n-play solution. Thus why it is open source so that a user can modify it.

If Chamberlain didn't work for you, then you need to find another similar solution. Lots out there.

But if you see something that says open source and has a github, then you probably need to steer clear of it.

Well why don't you ask the man yourself and ask if it requires programming/coding for the garage door portion? Just don't mention me because that punk lives in the same state as I do and I don't want this to escalate any further. It's bad enough I used my main email and real IP to communicate with this lad, as I was under the impression it would be business as usual.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The only part that was not attached was the original message I sent when I submiited my tickets that did not get included in the email. I don't like your tone either, so I am reporting you, staff member or not.

The fact of the matter is that the customer is always right. Those who do not understand that golden rule will go out of business eventually. I hope I draw more attention his way. That is the point of this review buddy.
You reported me to myself.... I own the site...you see here at ipcamtalk we don't give a fuck either. We call a prick a prick. It is no wonder he responded the way he did.

The customer is not always right. Smart businesses often fire customers. You are the type of customer that no one wants.

You failed to realize that you are drawing positive attention to the business. Thousands of people never even knew it existed and now they are looking at it. The fact that you had a negative experience doesn't change the fact that they are now aware of his product. They realize that you are a demanding schmuck so they disregard your complaints. I hope describes some business his way.

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
i
1688338774723.png

It seems that people who own businesses in the security system field are allowed to be open anti social punks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have to ask him LOL. When I see it says it is Open Source, that tells me it isn't going to be plug-n-play. That is the whole point of Open Source and Github. Sure you may find some things that don't require any changes, but by and large, most do if you want to play in that arena.

I use Blue Iris as my NVR. There are some cool add-ons in Github that has required me to make some changes and with the help of the fine folks here that detailed out how to make the changes, I fumbled myself along.

I see that OpenGarage has a forum site that provides the same thing for folks using that product, but you will have to be willing to take the time to learn the very basics or at least how to follow along without being intimidated about opening up code. Sure I effed it up and had to redo, but that was the only way to get what I wanted as nothing was commercially available.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 166787

It seems that people who own businesses in the security system field are allowed to be open anti social punks.
Absolutely they can. You think that by posting my response to you I'm offended? I told you straight in this post to fuck off. What are you going to do about it? Nada.

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
You reported me to myself.... I own the site...you see here at ipcamtalk we don't give a fuck either. We call a prick a prick. It is no wonder he responded the way he did.

The customer is not always right. Smart businesses often fire customers. You are the type of customer that no one wants.

You failed to realize that you are drawing positive attention to the business. Thousands of people never even knew it existed and now they are looking at it. The fact that you had a negative experience doesn't change the fact that they are now aware of his product. They realize that you are a demanding schmuck so they disregard your complaints. I hope describes some business his way.
Do you have a yelp bro? Maybe I should look up your other businesses if you unforuntately have any. I would hate to be one of your customers if you think that open insults and name calling is a common business practice. You are nothing but a snot nosed brat and you will never make it in this world with your terrible attitude. Now go and ban me for putting arrogant punks like you in your place.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 166787

Absolutely they can. You think that by posting my response to you I'm offended? I told you straight in this post to fuck off. What are you going to do about it? Nada.
Do you have a yelp bro? Maybe I should look up your other businesses if you unforuntately have any. I would hate to be one of your customers if you think that open insults and name calling is a common business practice. You are nothing but a snot nosed brat and you will never make it in this world. Now go and ban me for putting arrogant punks like you in your place.
Please do. Because I already have your IP address It would be an easy subpoena from your ISP for a defamation suit. You don't scare me. I've been calling out pricks like you from day one. I intentionally push your buttons to see your response. We can all clearly see that you are raging lunatic.

I'm going to start a thread soon promoting this product and you won't be able to comment on it just to give the guy a boost..free.

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score

Please do. Because I already have your IP address It would be an easy subpoena from your ISP for a defamation suit. You don't scare me. I've been calling out pricks like you from day one. I intentionally push your buttons to see your response. We can all clearly see that you are raging lunatic.

I'm going to start a thread soon promoting this product and you won't be able to comment on it just to give the guy a boost..free.
Defamation is posting false statements. Publishing this conversation to my own website and linking it to your real name if that is also public info is publishing a true statement. I would love for you to sue me so that I can countersue and take your earnings from acting like a brat on official business.

Good day.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Defamation is posting false statements. Publishing this conversation to my own website and linking it to your real name if that is also public info is publishing a true statement. I would love for you to sue me so that I can countersue and take your earnings from acting like a brat on official business.

Good day.
Thank you for confirming that you are a raging lunatic.. stop embarrassing yourself...

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not embarressing myself, I believe you are sir. I am calm and collect, and don't issue threats unless they are valid.

I will agree to not post this conversation if you delete this post, and forget we ever had this discussion. I don't want anyone to be angered anymore as I am just an innocent bystander that simply wants to leave a review, and not go into legal debates.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not embarressing myself, I believe you are sir. I am calm and collect, and don't issue threats unless they are valid.

I will agree to not post this conversation if you delete this post, and forget we ever had this discussion. I don't want anyone to be angered anymore as I am just an innocent bystander that simply wants to leave a review, and not go into legal debates.
This thread is never being deleted. You can go fuck yourself. You fucked with the wrong person. Keep making threats Your full name email address and IP addresses will be posted here. You are no longer in control you are my bitch. You're in no position to make demands. Apologize and walk away with your dick between your legs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a great example of how people extort small businesses. This prick thought he was going to get his way with the business he defamed and then tried it again with me. This is why it's important to be wary about some of the negative reviews out there.