Opinion on cheap IP cameras from sites like AliExpress?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua 4431C-A vs Dahua 4231C-A vs CCTV-TOP IMX322 . Knowing the truth with cheap $30cam than never knowing the truth on buy it next year $200 cam
Hi absolutezero

We've covered the Chinese hacked cameras a number of times, and we've covered numerous cheaper cameras.

We spend a lot of time sharing knowledge and our experience with others - and really do not want to spend that time helping others fix crappy cameras they buy which are not worth the time.

Thus, why we recommend better cameras - cameras which once up and running will give you less headaches.

We really do not want to recommend a bad camera and have someone come back and ask us to help them fix it, same with vendors.

There is too much insistence on buying from ANDY on this forum . I am also looking forward to purchase some cheap IP cam for less important places. Any recommended vendors ? The normal pricing $150-$200 on recommended models is too much.
Andy has earned his reputation here, and thus why you see the recommendations.

Of course, you do not need to go w/Andy. It is only a recommendation which we are comfortable giving, knowing that he will provide quality customer service and quality cameras.

Also he does have more affordable cameras available than $150-200, just have to look at what models he has and check the reviews here - then contact him and ask for a quote. ( ipct members typically get a slight discount )

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMX290 performs real well too tho an older generation than the 307

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is too much insistence on buying from ANDY on this forum . I am also looking forward to purchase some cheap IP cam for less important places. Any recommended vendors ? The normal pricing $150-$200 on recommended models is too much.
You dont have to buy from ANDY. There are a bunch of aliexpress vendors of dahua and hikvision. You can find the fixed varifocal dahua from andy and others for 100 using slow shipping. His prices include dhl. If you want to spend 50 bux on shit, its your choice. You will either not get a good capture or have to replace it when it dies. There is a reason folks dislike no name aliexpress crap. Because it is. The most important part of the camera is the firmware...shopping by sensor alone is foolish. There are proven good cameras. If you want to dick around do it. Dont like the advice here you can fuck off. There just follow the grate reviews on ali or amazon, they are totally reliable. Foolish newbies like you who make comments that insinuate that users are purposely steering you wrong can leave.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Then build your own Raspberry Pi camera, put it into a jar. Put that jar upside down, ducttape it on to a remote controlled rc toy robot, and tadaaa, you got yourself a cheap ass PT (without the Z) dome camera..............

Oh wait, if you move the robot forward, you would have Z also.. hmmm.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps you missed the part of placing cheap camera's on less important place or at leasing trying a reputed one out if it exists. I have been buying many no name aliexpress product and not a single product has died . There are no name/neutral dahua versions and brands that are in business for a long time. For your kind info respected staff member $150-$200 is too much for a single camera . IP camera setup already raises the budget over AHD , etc. The price range cheap for cheap camera's is $30-$50 . When you tell me to fuck off for not following advice it's like you are losing something. I have been to china and i know there are hidden gems
You either need the camera there or you dont. What the does less important mean? Sure you have been buying them with no problem. We have hundreds of users that have been burned by that crap. Perhaps you missed the part about 100. There are even cheap 80 dollar starlights available., but you are too lazy to research. You are clueless in this field. Every six months there is a new putz like you who comes here ranting and raving about new crap they found and its great. six months later, lots of failures. Who cares about AHD? Dummy cameras are free too. 100 is CHEAP for a good camera. Perhaps you forgot what prices were 8-10 years ago. We dont all live in the third world like you where 100 is our monthly salary.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
[Six months is a long time. So what is forum for ? I am not ranting on a new device . I am just asking for experiences on good sensor+good soc devices . Putz like you told the same thing when Yi came with action cam at fraction of the pricing of GoPro.There is whole bunch of crowd who has tried cheap no name actioncams/dashcams from crap aliexpress and are satisfied with it.
No you are not you are full of shit. You are a spammer. YI is garbage. Signs up using a VPN, then claims hes from Hungary, ip addresses from india. You are done here.

tim8

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You either need the camera there or you dont. What the does less important mean? Sure you have been buying them with no problem. We have hundreds of users that have been burned by that crap. Perhaps you missed the part about 100. There are even cheap 80 dollar starlights available., but you are too lazy to research. You are clueless in this field. Every six months there is a new putz like you who comes here ranting and raving about new crap they found and its great. six months later, lots of failures. Who cares about AHD? Dummy cameras are free too. 100 is CHEAP for a good camera. Perhaps you forgot what prices were 8-10 years ago. We dont all live in the third world like you where 100 is our monthly salary.
I know there are starlight’s available for like $130 but where are you finding these cheap $80 starlights?? Could you please show me where I might find these? I would buy these in a heartbeat! I’ve tried looking for them but I can’t find them, even with slow shipping I can’t find these prices. Could you tell me where I might find these? Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know there are starlight’s available for like $130 but where are you finding these cheap $80 starlights?? Could you please show me where I might find these? I would buy these in a heartbeat! I’ve tried looking for them but I can’t find them, even with slow shipping I can’t find these prices. Could you tell me where I might find these? Thanks!
see review by loony, they are bullets...i would advise spending 100 on a starlight turret with audio and sd card...unless you want to spend your nights cleaning spider webs off the bullets...starlight turrets fixed are available for 100 with slow shipping.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Spiders like bullets but not turrets? :confused: Honest question too - about to replace about a dozen older analog cameras with all new Dahua IP cameras. It seems like both styles eventually get crud on them. Have one that a stupid dirt dobber tried to make his mud house right on the dang lens! lol

Was planning on mostly bullets for the new outside cameras but dont want to have extra work if they will be problematic.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Spiders like the IR lights. Or maybe its really that other bugs like the IRs, and the spiders "like" the other bugs. Geometry of bullets makes it easier for spiders to build webs in front on their lens.