Opinions on home CCTV build plan (was: SD6AE230F-HNI vs SD6AE240V-HNI)

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So after some reflection I've decided to drop the PTZ since I really wouldn't be able to do with it what I wanted to do and I think I was letting the cool factor get the better of me. I may add a PTZ to the system in the future but if I do I will probably add it higher up so I can use it as more of an overview camera for wildlife watching and to back up the other fixed cameras.

So instead of the PTZ I now have two fixed cameras in zone 1, and I added a second camera to zone 2 since I had a bit more budget now -- plus I really didn't like the fact that I had a such a large blind spot in zone 2, even though I don't expect that to be a likely ingress point. I also decided to add a camera to the garage... which I may end up using as a critter cam since we've had mice invade the garage recently and I'd like to see where they are coming in if I can manage it.

Revised camera plan...

Zone 1:
Camera A: IPC-HFW81230E-Z (12MP Ultra Smart IMX226 Bullet)
This is not a starlight but only 0.001 over, and the driveway is usually lit up... on until 11pm and the by motion trigger during until dusk
Also considering the IPC-HF81230E Starlight box camera here, as either an alternative to this or an addition in the future​
Camera B: IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 (2MP Eco Starlight Z5 Bullet)

There is also a pre-existing 720p Kuna (Maximus) wifi IP camera in zone 1 (blue outline). While it isn't great, it does give me decent coverage of the front door and garage. Identify range is limited though, probably only 5-10 feet at best. The 12MP would be several feet above it on the side of the house.

Zone 2:
Camera A: IPC-HFW5231E-Z (2MP Eco Starlight Bullet)
Camera B: IPC-HDW5231R-Z (2MP Eco Starlight Turret)

Zone 3:
Camera: IPC-HDW5231R-Z (2MP Eco Starlight Turret)

Zone 4:
Camera: IPC-HFW8232E-Z (2MP Ultra Starlight Bullet)

Zone 5:

Zone 6 (Garage):
Camera: IPC-HDBW4231F-AS-0360B (Eco Starlight 3.6mm fixed Turret)
also considering the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS-0360B (Eco Starlight 3.6mm fixed Wedge Mini-Dome)​

So that puts me at 8 cameras now, which makes a bit more sense and justifies the 16-channel NVR. :)

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Excellent. You have much better coverage than where you started.

When running cable, doesnt hurt to drop a spare here and there where you think you may need one in the future for a cam or supplemental IR

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So after some reflection ..

Revised camera plan...

Zone 1:
Camera A: IPC-HFW81230E-Z (12MP Ultra Smart IMX226 Bullet)
This is not a starlight but only 0.001 over, and the driveway is usually lit up... on until 11pm and the by motion trigger during until dusk
Also considering the IPC-HF81230E Starlight box camera here, as either an alternative to this or an addition in the future​
Camera B: IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 (2MP Eco Starlight Z5 Bullet)

There is also a pre-existing 720p Kuna (Maximus) wifi IP camera in zone 1 (blue outline). While it isn't great, it does give me decent coverage of the front door and garage. Identify range is limited though, probably only 5-10 feet at best. The 12MP would be several feet above it on the side of the house.

When running cable, doesnt hurt to drop a spare here and there where you think you may need one in the future for a cam or supplemental IR
Zone 2:
Camera A: IPC-HFW5231E-Z (2MP Eco Starlight Bullet)
Camera B: IPC-HDW5231R-Z (2MP Eco Starlight Turret)

Zone 3:

Zone 4:
Camera: IPC-HFW8232E-Z (2MP Ultra Starlight Bullet)

Zone 5:

Zone 6 (Garage):
Camera: IPC-HDBW4231F-AS-0360B (Eco Starlight 3.6mm fixed Turret)
also considering the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS-0360B (Eco Starlight 3.6mm fixed Wedge Mini-Dome)​

So that puts me at 8 cameras now, which makes a bit more sense and justifies the 16-channel NVR. :)
Very nice!

Questions -

1) Do you have street parking? If so recommend getting some coverage of the street in case someone decides to park on the street and walk up to your house.

2) Do you think the 2nd/3rd story windows are accessible by someone who is able to climb up a story? I ask since recent experience of a drugged out driver recently hit the gas pipe of the adjacent building and when we showed the police the damage to the building / gas pipe and the damage to the car and I mentioned I had security camera footage of the car leaving the parking lot - and heard the bang after witnessing the car level the parking lot, but had no video of the car actually hitting the gas pipe ( it is in a blind spot for my coverage ) the police told me it was circumstantial evidence and that they would not do anything. THUS imho you want to be able to have actual video of anyone breaking and entering your home. Due to the slit level design I suspect you may need to review the higher levels for possible entry through the windows.

Definitely agree with bigredfish - pull an extra cat5e/cat6 or 2 runs while you are doing your cable pulls.

Also, I really liked using the junction boxes during my installation and would recommend them.

Last edited:

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Since all my runs are exterior, I'll probably just add a cable splitter wherever I need additional runs. I do plan to add some IR Illuminators at some point though. Since they're mostly 12V I will probably have to run something seperate for them, but not entirely sure what I want to do yet.

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very nice!

Questions -

1) Do you have street parking? If so recommend getting some coverage of the street in case someone decides to park on the street and walk up to your house.

2) Do you think the 2nd/3rd story windows are accessible by someone who is able to climb up a story? I ask since recent experience of a drugged out driver recently hit the gas pipe of the adjacent building and when we showed the police the damage to the building / gas pipe and the damage to the car and I mentioned I had security camera footage of the car leaving the parking lot - and heard the bang after witnessing the car level the parking lot, but had no video of the car actually hitting the gas pipe ( it is in a blind spot for my coverage ) the police told me it was circumstantial evidence and that they would not do anything. THUS imho you want to be able to have actual video of anyone breaking and entering your home. Due to the slit level design I suspect you may need to review the higher levels for possible entry through the windows.

Definitely agree with bigredfish - pull an extra cat5e/cat6 or 2 runs while you are doing your cable pulls.

Also, I really liked using the junction boxes during my installation and would recommend them.
No, no official street parking, just a long driveway that pipestems off the main road. But I am setting up the 12MP to watch that ingress point since anyone coming up to my house will have to come up that way.

All of the levels are easily accessible from the ground, either directly or by running around the back of the house and jumping across to the roof. That is why I wanted to make sure I had better coverage in zone 2, since that is where they'd most likely access the roof.

As for junction boxes, in my quote from Andy I requested pricing for them for all the cameras but had been debating whether to use them or not since many people have stated they don't use them. I mostly want them for a place to hide the camera cabling since none of the cameras will be hidden in soffits or anything.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As for junction boxes, in my quote from Andy I requested pricing for them for all the cameras but had been debating whether to use them or not since many people have stated they don't use them. I mostly want them for a place to hide the camera cabling since none of the cameras will be hidden in soffits or anything.
Definitely then go for the junction boxes, as if properly installed the box provides additional protection vs the rain.

Some of the boxes are IP66 rated when properly installed.

Since you are mounting the cat5e/cat6 wiring along the wall do make drip loops during your install to help prevent water from dripping into your connectors and cameras.