Order another cpu or get discreet gpu?

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had sat down with the boss and ordered a build for a i9-9900. Three to four weeks later they cancelled the order saying out of stock. I told the boss to order it on newegg.

I didn't check it before opening and installing. Turns out she got the 9900kf, no gpu onboard. I planned on pushing up to that 1500MP/s which is why I bought new top of the line instead of a refurb.

At this point is it better to order the 9900k or to get a discrete gpu?

This was supposed to be a rush install due to problems at the apartment complex but deliveries took over a month to trickle in from Amazon.

Thanks

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Price of a discrete you that will handle it vs the $500 to replace the CPU?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at to compare your load: Blue Iris Update Helper

In my opinion

There are only two I9-9900K that are using over 1500 MP/s. Neither of those two CPUs are using more than 50%. The chart indicates that those two are using hardware acceleration. I would love to know what video driver they are using, there have been a number of post about the video drivers and the I9 cpus.
If it was me I would stick to what I have and not add a GPU unless you really need it work on doing a clean and optimized the camera configuration. Make sure to have 32 GB of memory.

Reaction score
i9-9900KF wont have iGPU, so no hardware acceleration. It looks like i9-9900K are listed supporting the required camera MP/s with iGPU acceleration.

So @myknownself, like you suggest you need to either:
  1. EXCHANGE i9-9900KF for i9-9900K (thereby giving you integrated graphics and hardware acceleration).
  2. Add a cheap discrete GPU, just about one of them will be more powerful than an integrated GPU just to show the display
I'd probably go with #1 because with that config there are at least data points that indicate you are good for the required capacity. Doesn't look like the i9-9900KF is listed in the Blue Iris database (probably because it doesn't have integrated graphics and is at very high end), so bit of a dice-roll.

Last edited:

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Look at to compare your load: Blue Iris Update Helper

In my opinion

There are only two I9-9900K that are using over 1500 MP/s. Neither of those two CPUs are using more than 50%. The chart indicates that those two are using hardware acceleration. I would love to know what video driver they are using, there have been a number of post about the video drivers and the I9 cpus.
If it was me I would stick to what I have and not add a GPU unless you really need it work on doing a clean and optimized the camera configuration. Make sure to have 32 GB of memory.
The problem is that the f series doesn't have onboard gpu. I need to get a non f CPU or buy a discrete graphics card.

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i9-9900KF wont have iGPU, so no hardware acceleration. It looks like i9-9900K are listed supporting the required camera MP/s with iGPU acceleration.

So like you propose, you need to either:
  1. EXCHANGE i9-9900KF for i9-9900K (thereby giving you integrated graphics and hardware acceleration).
  2. Add a cheap discrete GPU, just about one of them will be more powerful than an integrated GPU just to show the display
I'd probably go with #1 because with that config there are at least data points that indicate you are good for the required capacity. Doesn't look like the i9-9900KF is listed in the Blue Iris database (probably because it doesn't have integrated graphics and is at very high end), so bit of a dice-roll.
Yeah. It isn't what I had ordered from Amazon which got cancelled. I told the boss to order it from new egg as I was out of the office. She may not have noticed the f, and if she did she assumed it wouldn't matter.

I already opened and put it in so I don't think I can return it. I put in my personal 1070 to make sure cpu and mobo worked but I'm not seeing the bios

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to reread my post. I would not do either. I really doubt you will need it. I doubt yo will get a drive that works on an I9

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to reread my post. I would not do either. I really doubt you will need it. I doubt yo will get a drive that works on an I9
"If it was me I would stick to what I have and not add a GPU unless you really need it work on doing a clean and optimized the camera configuration. Make sure to have 32 GB of memory."

What I have has no gpu, no way to get video from pc to monitor. So I can't use what I have without getting a separate gpu, or get a different cpu

Reaction score
I put in my personal 1070 to make sure cpu and mobo worked but I'm not seeing the bios
I wonder if its a bios compatibility with this super new Intel chip. Another long-shot option is maybe the bios is defaulting graphics to onboard (which that chip doesnt have).

Check if that motherboard has bios flashback support, or if you have ANY 9th gen CPU with iGPU to drop in to get into the bios.

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wonder if its a bios compatibility with this super new Intel chip. Another long-shot option is maybe the bios is defaulting graphics to onboard (which that chip doesnt have).

Check if that motherboard has bios flashback support, or if you have ANY 9th gen CPU with iGPU to drop in to get into the bios.
Asrock said to try clearing cmos so I'll give that a try. Unfortunately muy only CPU is an old 1150 socket and the mobo of course is 1151.

I was wondering about it trying to out put to onboard as well but don't know how to change without seeing bios. I'll look into that flashback support. Thanks

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello myknownself, is the system posting at all with the i9 installed?

Reaction score
Usually in the motherboard manual it will speak to either audible (beeps) or an onboard indicator (usually led lights or LED digits) which can tell you how far the system is getting into the boot process and what it thinks the problem is.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's if the case speaker is attached crw030, which we hope it is.

I was thinking that the mobo may well need the BIOS updating to support the CPU.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What about splitting the cameras to 2 refurbished I-7 computers. Be a whole lot cheaper. This is my plan, I have 30 cameras, pushing 1400mb/sec

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The speaker is attached. Originally I was getting 5 beeps meaning no graphics. Found out I had the wrong CPU hating that f thrown on.

So I put in my personal gtx1070 and no beeps, not even the first start up beep.

I remove everything but the CPU and reset the cmos. I get the three long beeps. I insert the ram and silence. I no longer get the 5 beeps for no graphics card anymore.

I live in a small town but will try the little computer shop to see if they have an older 1151 cpu to test mobo and ram at least.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
myknownself, is the Motherboard BIOS the latest version?

As it's certainly sounding as though it's a BIOS issue, and updating to the latest version may resolve most issues. Then BIOS settings will need to be tweaked to use all components to their optimal potential.

The only issue is that you'll need a lower end CPU that is supported by the BIOS to update it.

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After clearing cmos overnight it went back to telling me no gpu. I put gpu into pcie2 and still got the no gpu. I put it into pcie4 and got it to post though it still didn't give the single beep

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Basic CPU and update BIOS, you should be able to post with the i9 then myknownself.

Definitely a BIOS issue, the i9 is probably not supported by the current flashed version.

myknownself

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After more testing I have found that it won't post if there is ram in either A channel.

Slots are listed A1 A2 B1 B2

The book says to install A2 & B2 or in all 4.

I was trying to boot single stick in A2 and getting nothing. Swap to B2 and it posted. I tried the second stick in B2 and it worked. Put a stick into A2 and it didn't work.

I tried a single stick in B1 and it worked. Second stick in A1 and failed to post.

B1&B2 it will post showing both sticks in single channel.

I try A1 & A2 and back to no post.

Don't know why A slots keep it from posting

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's the BIOS!

It needs updating myknownself.