Ordered non-AI Amcrest camera, REP-IP8M-2493EW, - should I return?

Reaction score
I am just getting started with the whole home security piece. A few days ago, I ordered a REP-IP8M-2493EW camera. It was about $75. I wanted a dome camera with 100 ft range, which is why I got this one. After ordering this, I learned that said camera does not have AI detection but that AI is the new rave. Should I simply just return this camera right away and try to find one with AI? If so, any suggestions on hardware? Open to non-Amcrest brands too. It's going to be focused on a street/sidewalk area so it's possible that that it will detect much movement and cause a lot of events. For what its worth, I know about Blue Iris and have played with it a little bit but do not have dedicated server hardware for that yet. I also don't want to spend tons of time messing with cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That camera will never IDENTIFY at 100 feet and at night will probably struggle to detect at 100 feet.

Further, domes are not recommended outdoors. You will get lots of infrared glare and dirt that sticks to domes more than other cameras and horrible infrared bounce.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Reaction score
Thanks,
I didn't realize that domes weren't good outdoors and that they made bullet cameras that have ceiling mounts.

My goal is to monitor the front door but also to be able to see out to the street as there is an intersection. The far corner of that intersection is probably 100 ft away. Will I need more than 1 camera to accomplish this?
And how important is it to get a camera with AI? I don't see that discussed in the thread.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most will say two cameras. One camera cannot identify at 10 feet and 100 feet at same time.

AI is critical if you want to reduce/eliminate false triggers.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, you will need two cameras for this type of operation. One for the front door to ID folks and then the 2nd to view the intersection. Would suggest the 5442 ZE (zoom at 2.7 - 12 mm) for the front door and then the 5442 Z4E (zoom at 8 to 32mm) for the intersection view.

Andy has both listed on his site and also on Amazon.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am just getting started with the whole home security piece. A few days ago, I ordered a REP-IP8M-2493EW camera. It was about $75. I wanted a dome camera with 100 ft range, which is why I got this one. After ordering this, I learned that said camera does not have AI detection but that AI is the new rave. Should I simply just return this camera right away and try to find one with AI? If so, any suggestions on hardware? Open to non-Amcrest brands too. It's going to be focused on a street/sidewalk area so it's possible that that it will detect much movement and cause a lot of events. For what its worth, I know about Blue Iris and have played with it a little bit but do not have dedicated server hardware for that yet. I also don't want to spend tons of time messing with cameras.
Welcome

In general I want the best image I can get for the purposes of a possible ID image .. the I in the DORI specification from the camera.

Blue Iris or another like vms can then be handed off the AI logic. Of course you can spend more on cameras with AI .. yet I feel that area is moving quickly and thus I would probably want to upgrade to newer AI sooner.

For 100 feet .. lol that camera will not help much on that

Reaction score
Welcome

In general I want the best image I can get for the purposes of a possible ID image .. the I in the DORI specification from the camera.

Blue Iris or another like vms can then be handed off the AI logic. Of course you can spend more on cameras with AI .. yet I feel that area is moving quickly and thus I would probably want to upgrade to newer AI sooner.

For 100 feet .. lol that camera will not help much on that
I am thinking about repurposing this dome camera to be more of a doorbell camera and then installing a better bullet-style one to monitor the intersection. I will be likely setting up a Blue Iris server in the next couple of weeks along with a CP server so that I can actually get some intelligent monitoring in place.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @pannierpacker

"I am thinking about repurposing this dome camera to be more of a doorbell camera and then installing a better bullet-style one to monitor the intersection. I will be likely setting up a Blue Iris server in the next couple of weeks along with a CP server so that I can actually get some intelligent monitoring in place. " - pannierpacker

Quick look at the specs for the camera

Specs :

Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Security POE IP Camera, 98ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, IK10 Vandal Resistant Dome, MicroSD Recording, White (REP-IP8M-2493EW) (Renewed)

"4K" (8-Megapixel / 3840x2160) resolution
Super-wide 105° viewing angle
Sony Starvis 1/2.7” 8MP progressive image sensor "to achieve unsurpassed low-light capability and night-vision up to 98 feet "

1) "up to 98 feet" .. guess when this comes into the marketing it means "D" in the DORI spec .. that is Detect something like an enemy tank or truck .. do check out the DORI section of the cliff notes.
With the "super wide" FOV I would not use this camera for subjects that far away.

2) Sensor is small for low light image capture ( 1/2.7" ) .. so I would use this for areas I want good daylight / light ..

3) As it is a dome camera, I would use it where it is well protected from UV exposure and heat.

4) Wide FOV, so could make a nice camera to watch the package drop area for a covered front porch imho, or covering your back covered porch.

5) Also good for indoors .. such as a business during open hours coverage. ( I would add better cameras for low light image capture to cover key areas like the front entrance, back entrance .. et al )

1717176406024.png