Outdoor PoE cam install and wiring question

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah those are ones i was considering before some other people said to look into own brand ones. shouldnt be hard to just drill 3 small holes
It's not..the lid is PVC and the camera mounting flange serves as a template. Inexpensive and easy to work with.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
should i use those 3/4" emt pull elbows? or just bend a pipe...
I think if you're turning 90 degrees around the outside of a house, you'd want to use a pull elbow since you can get to the cable. Pull one direction, then the other in two steps. If you're making a more gentle turn, like 135 degrees, bend some pipe.

iandroo888

n3wb
Reaction score
I think if you're turning 90 degrees around the outside of a house, you'd want to use a pull elbow since you can get to the cable. Pull one direction, then the other in two steps. If you're making a more gentle turn, like 135 degrees, bend some pipe.
yeah thats what my theory was... at least u confirmed it XD

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sorry. being a bit chinese. tryin to save money while getting the best i can. Lol. lookin at about 15 pieces. granted thats "only" $30 more. had originally gone into doing the camera system thinking i was saving money by buying things on sale and what not, later realizing ive spent more than my friend who bought the lorex kit at costco

should i use those 3/4" emt pull elbows? or just bend a pipe...

and i cant find junction boxes that are compatible with IP4M-1024E model
FYI - I was able to get 3-4 cat5e cables in a 1/2" EMT conduit. If you plan your route appropriately you should be able to use 1/2" EMT for a lot of the runs.

iandroo888

n3wb
Reaction score
should i use different size conduit depending on load of cables? was thinkin of just having it easier to keep it all the same. at one point, i may have up to 5 cables

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
should i use different size conduit depending on load of cables? was thinkin of just having it easier to keep it all the same. at one point, i may have up to 5 cables
Hi Iandroo,

5 cables total? or 5 cables to say one corner of the house?

iandroo888

n3wb
Reaction score
5 in total at the end.. farthest would start at one, then 2.. then goes up as it gets closer to where its combining and to NVR

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
5 in total at the end.. farthest would start at one, then 2.. then goes up as it gets closer to where its combining and to NVR
I would then start with a 3/4" pipe to a junction box for the first drop, a 3/4" to the next, then finish with the 1/2' EMT.

As the junction boxes from Dahua take a 1/2" EMT pipe - I would add that to the drop.

=========[]=======[]--------[]-------[]------
.............|...........|.........|.......|...
.............O...........O........O.......O...

Hopefully the above ascii art works... ;) ( it did not, so I added "." for spaces )

iandroo888

n3wb
Reaction score
After contact w/ amcrest sales, they confirmed there is no j-box compatible with my camera. homedepot round 4" j-box it is ! XD

wonderful ascii art ! love it. makes sense too. thanks !

iandroo888

n3wb
Reaction score
yeah.. i was really hesitant about that idea when someone on the thread suggested it. I had saw other amcrest ones or dahua ones were like in the mid 20s each. HD/Lowes is like little under 7 bux each non-metallic, more for the metal one

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah.. i was really hesitant about that idea when someone on the thread suggested it. I had saw other amcrest ones or dahua ones were like in the mid 20s each. HD/Lowes is like little under 7 bux each non-metallic, more for the metal one
Unless it's going to be in open, direct sun 24/7/365, I'd go with a PVC box.

iandroo888

n3wb
Reaction score
theres no place in the world that has direct sun 24/7/365 :O my worry is just the ambient heat for a few months and the few hours of extremely hot direct sun in the summers...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
theres no place in the world that has direct sun 24/7/365 :O my worry is just the ambient heat for a few months and the few hours of extremely hot direct sun in the summers...
C'mon, man...you know what I mean....it'll be out in the 'open' 24/7/365...:rolleyes:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After contact w/ amcrest sales, they confirmed there is no j-box compatible with my camera. homedepot round 4" j-box it is ! XD

wonderful ascii art ! love it. makes sense too. thanks !
Hi iandroo888,

If it is a Dahua OEM camera - there will be a junction box made for it, Amcrest just may not carry it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi iandroo888,

If it is a Dahua OEM camera - there will be a junction box made for it, Amcrest just may not carry it.
And the camera will mount directly to it without drilling holes in a box cover or something similar. Cameras typically want 3-4 mounting screws, normal boxes for electical in the US provide 2 mounting points and they aren't in the right spots.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi iandroo888,

Amcrest carries it here...they're out of stock. Do you know what the p/n is for the Dahua equivalent? (IIRC, his are bullet cams)

amcrest_AMCPFA134_box.jpg

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amcrest carries it here...they're out of stock. Do you know what the p/n is for the Dahua equivalent?

View attachment 29288
Hi Tony, looks like PFA134. Do double check as it is from memory.

I have one for those for an amcrest bullet ( 3MP ). I found it to be a bit tighter in space than the ones I liked for the IPC-HDW5231xxx turrets.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tony, looks like PFA134. Do double check as it is from memory.

I have one for those for an amcrest bullet. I found it to be a bit tighter in space than the ones I liked for the IPC-HDW5231xxx turrets.
Yes, it does look like it.

@iandroo888 , there's a template with measurements to check if it jives with the bolt pattern on your bullet cam's mount ==>> here.
Looks 56mm / 2.2" radius, 120 degrees x 3 holes. They're cast aluminum and cost more...but no drilling...it's your call!

dahua_PFA134.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.