Outdoor PoE cam install and wiring question

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@iandroo888

Here's the accessory / junction box / wall mount list:
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/download/Accessory_Selection_201712294.pdf

Note the link is in the wiki cliff notes
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

The 4MP Amcrest bullet looks to be the same as my 3MP Amcrest bullet, so the PFA134 should work very nicely for you. iirc there is only one hole for a 1/2" EMT conduit or other conduit connection on this junction box. Which should be OK if you plan it out. I liked using the box, and would do it again to save time compared to custom modding a j-box from HD or Lowes.

[ Hint - buy the boxes if you can directly from China - Aliexpress should have a few options, perhaps Andy has some... throw in a startlight camera while you're at it ;-)

iandroo888

n3wb
Reaction score
only downside about using these dahua ones is they only have 1 hole. if they had 2 holes opposite from each other, i would have probably bought these. But since im looking to run them inline O--------O--------O---------O kind of way, it wouldnt work :( sad face again. back to HD/Lowes it is Lol

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
only downside about using these dahua ones is they only have 1 hole. if they had 2 holes opposite from each other, i would have probably bought these. But since im looking to run them inline O--------O--------O---------O kind of way, it wouldnt work :( sad face again. back to HD/Lowes it is Lol
If you really want the aluminum Dahua boxes, you could pick up a set of stepped drill bits, drill your hole and put in an EMT set-screw or compression connector (HD, Lowes, etc); there is a rain-tight version of the compression connector.

The bits are NOT cheap at HD or Lowes, however Harbor Freight or amazon will have your size (IIRC, 3/4" hole for 1/2" EMT connector) at a better price, under $12.

step_drill_bits.jpg EMT_conn_compr.jpg EMT_conn.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you really want the aluminum Dahua boxes, you could pick up a set of stepped drill bits, drill your hole and put in an EMT set-screw or compression connector (HD, Lowes, etc); there is a rain-tight version of the compression connector.

The bits are NOT cheap at HD or Lowes, however Harbor Freight or amazon will have your size (IIRC, 3/4" hole for 1/2" EMT connector) at a better price, under $12.

View attachment 29299 View attachment 29300 View attachment 29301
I've never used a stepped drill bit. What is the advantage of using one of those vs. a regular drill bit?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've never used a stepped drill bit. What is the advantage of using one of those vs. a regular drill bit?
have you ever tried to enlarge an existing hole in a piece of metal with a regular drill bit... good luck. Stepped bits do it with ease and make less of a mess.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When drilling a relatively large hole in plastic or cast aluminum, the initial hole is small and you gradually drill to the size desired. Jagged edges and chunky drill-outs don't happen if you use a high speed and go slowly.
You hardly need a rattail file to smooth the hole when it's new!