Over allocation

adehaan86

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I an over allocated and it is getting worse. I can not seem to figure out why it's giving me troubles.
More info is it's a 220 GB SSD. I move video clips to different drive after certain amount. Nothing else uses this drive besides blue Iris.

I also show 85 gb free on drive.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I an over allocated and it is getting worse. I can not seem to figure out why it's giving me troubles.
More info is it's a 220 GB SSD. I move video clips to different drive after certain amount. Nothing else uses this drive besides blue Iris.

I also show 85 gb free on drive.

Any ideas?

delete the db folder and restart.
also, leave the alert folder at 1gb or less. Nothing gets stored there unless you select store hi res alert images which is not needed. Uncheck all day limits.

adehaan86

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
delete the db folder and restart.
also, leave the alert folder at 1gb or less. Nothing gets stored there unless you select store hi res alert images which is not needed. Uncheck all day limits.
Uncheck limit clip age?

Deleting db folder does that mess up settings? I tried repair db.

Restart app or computer?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Uncheck limit clip age?

Deleting db folder does that mess up settings? I tried repair db.

Restart app or computer?

yes, uncheck limit clip age its pointless and will also screw up event markers on the timeline.
it wont mess up any settings, you will just lose markers on the timeline.
restart the computer.

adehaan86

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yes, uncheck limit clip age its pointless and will also screw up event markers on the timeline.
it wont mess up any settings, you will just lose markers on the timeline.
restart the computer.
Thank you. I will need to wait till Sunday to restart it. I'm not hope right now so if it messes up I'm hosed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. I will need to wait till Sunday to restart it. I'm not hope right now so if it messes up I'm hosed.

at least restart blue iris.
there should be no issues restarting the computer.
right now with your over allocation and improper settings its not recording properly anyway so you are hosed.

adehaan86

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do I delete all this? This is the DB folder. I just don't want to loose my camera and blue Iris settings.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would not move alerts to the stored folder, just delete them.

Do not allocate 100% of the drive, allocate only about 90% for the free space.

adehaan86

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would not move alerts to the stored folder, just delete them.

Do not allocate 100% of the drive, allocate only about 90% for the free space.
As of now alerts not used. And I'm using 200 of the 220 so 20 left unused

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I never understand why each folder has a hard allocation if they are on the same drive. It makes NO sense. Anyhow, fenderman mentioned not to use limit clip age, and I do use that quite a bit to organize clips by relative date.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I never understand why each folder has a hard allocation if they are on the same drive. It makes NO sense. Anyhow, fenderman mentioned not to use limit clip age, and I do use that quite a bit to organize clips by relative date.
It makes TOTAL sense. First each folder needs a hard allocation otherwise the drive will overfill as blue iris would no be able to anticipate other software or windows writing to the drive. Second, you make the assumption that all folders ARE on the same drive. As you are aware many folks have them on separate drives.
Finally, you dont need limit clip age to organize your clips by relative age, BLUE IRIS DOES THIS FOR YOU!!!! That is the purpose of a VMS.
Limiting clip by age is foolish unless you have a legal reason to delete the data after x days. Otherwise, by definition you have excess storage space that is not being used and therefore you are arbitrarily limiting your retention time.

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman,

I progressively re-encode at a higher compression rate after a set period of time as while I still value older clips, they are less valuable and therefore crisp video isn't needed. So I like the "after x days" feature. I only delete with tears streaming down my face. 3.5TB, that's not a lot I suppose, and I'm a bit older and realize how odd that sounds.

I see your point that yes, simply put, the pre-allocated folder system does prevent overfilling. Here's a solution: Total use per DRIVE allocation, not by folder. How much can BI use of each drive is fair and sensible, but going down to the folder level and making the dynamic walls a filesystem provides directories static is beyond me. I have clips across two drives too, but BI would had been deleting my clips if I didn't set allocation higher. I can't predict which folder is going to take XXXX gigs.

BI does ok for VMS but really clear to me that playback isn't it's cup of tea. It's laggy compared to WMP on same box, and it shades frames for some ungodly reason. Have you had a clip get real dark when you frame advance? Mine do frequently.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman,

I progressively re-encode at a higher compression rate after a set period of time as while I still value older clips, they are less valuable and therefore crisp video isn't needed. So I like the "after x days" feature. I only delete with tears streaming down my face. 3.5TB, that's not a lot I suppose, and I'm a bit older and realize how odd that sounds.

I see your point that yes, simply put, the pre-allocated folder system does prevent overfilling. Here's a solution: Total use per DRIVE allocation, not by folder. How much can BI use of each drive is fair and sensible, but going down to the folder level and making the dynamic walls a filesystem provides directories static is beyond me. I have clips across two drives too, but BI would had been deleting my clips if I didn't set allocation higher. I can't predict which folder is going to take XXXX gigs.

BI does ok for VMS but really clear to me that playback isn't it's cup of tea. It's laggy compared to WMP on same box, and it shades frames for some ungodly reason. Have you had a clip get real dark when you frame advance? Mine do frequently.

Thanks!
You don't progressively reencode anyting I don't understand why you're lying.
I already explained to you why each folder needs its own limit but again you did not read and did not listen as you have done in the other three threads you crapped on.
you don't have to predict anything about the folders you need to set them to the maximum size the drive will allow leaving some free space. I suggest you read The help file on Clips in archiving as well as watch the instructional videos because you're seemingly clueless on how this function works.
Blue Iris playback is super smooth with no shading issues. if you're having issues it's user error and I'm not surprised about that.
It's almost as if you've only use blue iris for a day or two as it's obvious that you have no clue on how to use Blue Iris. Is further obvious to me that you have not tried any other commercial VMS.
It appears that you're not happy with blue iris and are constantly bitching about it please let us know what software you end up going with so we can check it out.

Last edited: