Package Thieves !! Three adjacent Neighbors Hit

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And NO ONE has a camera or doorbell!

Of course, you can't see the detail in these (OK, I can't) when viewing the .bvr in BI it is all MUCH more clear.
I haven't sorted out how to capture the zoomed videos...

Vid 1 approach
Vid 4 Plate
Vid 5 Thefts

Police involved (well, at least informed)
Oklahoma plate JNZ 762

From the note accompanying the video to the police:
<<<<<<<
Overview: Dec 10,2021 midday, two females in a red car spotted delivered packages visible from the street on the porches of three houses.
They approached all three separately, were met by a resident at one house and they left that location. a half-hour later they returned to
the area, approached the other two houses, and finding no one home, they stole packages from those locations.

My security cameras at 505 Kay recorded these events.

Two female caucasians in their "30's or 40's"

Car
2017~19 Kia Soul
Inferno Red
Black top
Special edition wheels
Black 'racing stripe' along bottom
Possible Handicap placard on rear view>>>>>

Attachments

Last edited:

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most people do not care about security. They pay the ADT scam and move on. I have looked around my neighborhood and there aren't many rings installed.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It was highlighted by this event that with all my cameras, all over the house, since the perps didn't actually visit MY house..., all of my cams were useless, exCEPT for the Mailbox cam.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It was highlighted by this event that with all my cameras, all over the house, since the perps didn't actually visit MY house..., all of my cams were useless, exCEPT for the Mailbox cam.
I ran into a similar issue with turning over the footage. Without a good plate, the footage is pretty useless alone when trying to identify vehicles. The cops couldn't do anything with my 4k footage of an SUV on rims, because there are dozens of them around here even though this one seemed pretty specific. That said them not hitting your house makes the cameras very useful. The best case actually. That's the ultimate goal is not to be targeted because the cameras kept them away.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just as a precaution I'd make a copy of the original BVR files for those cameras
This is something I was trying to learn about in that other thread...
Is there a way to select a segment of the original .bvr and copy it AS A ,bvr???
The reason for the question is that the original .bvr for this particular day's capture is 23hours and 150Gigs. Adjacent files from the same cam are a couple hours each, several files per day but not THIS day.
Unless I can 'clip' the bvr and save as a bvr, I'll have to save the whole file to an external HDD.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What MP4 viewer provides the best viewing tools for zoom and scrub?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say the whole thing is what would be needed for evidentiary purposes, no matter the size. It needs to be completely un-modified to withstand any challenge. It can be saved to a 256Gb flash drive. They're about $30 on Amazon. If it's never used for evidence you've got one handy.

I always set "combine and cut" to one hour just to avoid things like this.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Something to think about going forward possibly. What I have done is setting length limit to clips to 15 minute/4Gb intervals. I have to review many clips daily and it saves aggravation. Esp when the camera decides that motion is gone, but something is still going on that is noteworthy with the subject in question.
Screenshot 2021-12-18 123637.png

Reaction score
Just as a precaution I'd make a copy of the original BVR files for those cameras...just in case they're needed as evidence. Another suggestion is to drag the date/time stamp down, in the camera, into the lower right corner so it can be clearly seen during the day.
I use BI for the time/date stamp, and I use white letters on a 30% transparent dark grey box-- always legible day or night regardless of lighting conditions. Also-- all cams then have video time-stamps with absolutely synchronized time from the BI machine. You DO have to remember to add that overlay when exporting though.

1639852825655.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using the BI overlay, you risk a court saying that the video is altered.
Best to use the time stamp from the camera its self and turn off the BI time stamp.
Yes, cameras that are recording continuously should be set to 1hr or less in combine and cut. I use 1hr.

Reaction score
Best to use the time stamp from the camera its self and turn off the BI time stamp.
Yes, cameras that are recording continuously should be set to 1hr or less in combine and cut. I use 1hr.
OK--- time for 40 questions....
Has that ever happened? Has a BI timestamp been challenged in court as being "altered" video. Technically-- couldn't the cam timestamp count as "altered video" as well since it is added to the raw video? It seems that the recording device keeping the time for all video received by it from cams would be more likely to be accurate. I have not had good luck with the cam clocks being accurate over time....and I don't have my own time server set up for them to talk to, and I don't let them loose in the wild outside my network for time sync. Are you running a time server to keep your cams synchronized?

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK--- time for 40 questions....
Has that ever happened? Has a BI timestamp been challenged in court as being "altered" video. Technically-- couldn't the cam timestamp count as "altered video" as well since it is added to the raw video? It seems that the recording device keeping the time for all video received by it from cams would be more likely to be accurate. I have not had good luck with the cam clocks being accurate over time....and I don't have my own time server set up for them to talk to, and I don't let them loose in the wild outside my network for time sync. Are you running a time server to keep your cams synchronized?
Has it been challenged? I am sure it has. I would have ethical questions if a defense attorney didn't try that angle, especially when trying to use an alibi that would place him somewhere else at the supposed time of the crime. The Reality is I would bet there would be bigger issues if the time is wrong but still only in edge cases where the time of the events really matter. Both sides will either argue or decide not to use the footage if the time on the footage raises any questions in their case. If you catch the full crime on camera with the persons face or plate on your cameras no one is going to care how the time got on the footage or if it is even accurate

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd say the whole thing is what would be needed for evidentiary purposes, no matter the size. It needs to be completely un-modified to withstand any challenge. It can be saved to a 256Gb flash drive. They're about $30 on Amazon. If it's never used for evidence you've got one handy.
Valid point. Likely will do this.
I always set "combine and cut" to one hour just to avoid things like this.
This is the way this cam has been set for over a year:
Cam4 settings (2).jpg
Despite this, THIS happens:
Untitled_LI.jpg
That one file is 4:17PM Thurs to 3:20PM Friday. 150 Gigs, 23 hrs.
Please tell me what settings I have wrong.

Something to think about going forward possibly. What I have done is setting length limit to clips to 15 minute/4Gb intervals. I have to review many clips daily and it saves aggravation. Esp when the camera decides that motion is gone, but something is still going on that is noteworthy with the subject in question.
See above: set continuous, no triggers, 1hr
I assume you know about dragging the blue and red position markers before you export, to copy onl the time period you need.
What I'm doing provides the same effect: using the context menu/set start;set end and is more precise, especially when the clip is super short and the markers are atop one another.
Cam4 settings5 (2).png
I use BI for the time/date stamp, and I use white letters on a 30% transparent dark grey box-- always legible day or night regardless of lighting conditions. Also-- all cams then have video time-stamps with absolutely synchronized time from the BI machine. You DO have to remember to add that overlay when exporting though.
I have the BI timestamp on the bottom... but as I was having great difficulty getting my clips to save, I temporarily turned them off when clipping these. Normally it is there
Cam4 settings4 (2).jpg
Related: I MUST figure out how to get the NTP thing working for the cams. I have never sorted that.
When exporting, it makes MP4s. I want to know how to break up a long .bvr into smaller clips and RETAIN the .bvr on the clip

Interesting take. Has anyone experienced this challenge?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Has it been challenged? I am sure it has. I would have ethical questions if a defense attorney didn't try that angle, especially when trying to use an alibi that would place him somewhere else at the supposed time of the crime. The Reality is I would bet there would be bigger issues if the time is wrong but still only in edge cases where the time of the events really matter. Both sides will either argue or decide not to use the footage if the time on the footage raises any questions in their case. If you catch the full crime on camera with the persons face or plate on your cameras no one is going to care how the time got on the footage or if it is even accurate
Part of my point is that a cam-provided time stamp could be very wrong-- and if so, does the entire clip get thrown out? If the video corroborates an eyewitness, but the cam timestamp is wrong-- does the video get thrown out? As evidence, they could redact the timestamp I suppose for use in court. They could do the same with a BI timestamp.