Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The whole idea as to who gets prioritized is a wake-up call for everybody. Its a bioethics issue that needs to be addressed urgently because there is simply no excuse. Based on this country's expenditure, we all can do much better than what the naysayers say we can't do.

At the risk of beating a dead horse let me reiterate what (I believe) I've learned regarding the "uncontrolled spread" of Covid-19 and why “flattening the curve” (of new Covid-19 infections) will benefit YOU, and all Americans....

America has limited healthcare resources (defined as the number of available hospital beds, medical ventilators, staff, medication, medical supplies, etc.). Many Americans with existing health issues (e.g. severe circulatory or respiratory conditions) are in need of these resources. If a local hospital has the capacity to handle 500 such cases -- and Covid-19 forces 2,000 additional cases upon the hospital -- then a decision must be made as to who gets care and who doesn’t. As a result, some will die who might have otherwise been saved IF required Covid-19 admissions had been reduced.

This is why we all need to work to do our part to reduce our chances of contracting Covid-19. WE MAY ALL EVENTUALLY BECOME INFECTED…but it’s far better that those infections are spread out over a full year rather than over several months, otherwise our hospitals will be overwhelmed and Sarah Palin’s “DEATH PANELS” (to determine who gets care and who doesn’t) may become reality.

IMO no one needs to be afraid; death is an end which no one escapes...it comes now, it comes later, but it will come to us all. However, the impact for Covid-19 an be mitigated and you can do your part.

You can do your part THIS TIME and you can do your part NEXT TIME, as the NEXT TIME is undoubtedly inevitable.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Trevor Noah couldn't say it better [0:00 to 6:35], LOL

Last edited:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm going to clue you in on something that is not generally known. This virus affects more than just the respiratory system. In the younger victims (<50 years age), the ones we have little or no information available because access was quashed, CNS and sudden cardiac death occur. In the younger victims the respiratory symptoms may be overshadowed by headache and nausea. That is not described in our media yet, but is the mechanism of death after apparent recovery from the respiratory phase. This is what kills young healthcare providers. You have to dig very hard to find this stuff in the observational studies published to date.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the younger victims the respiratory symptoms may be overshadowed by headache and nausea.
I've been dealing with headache, mild congestion, lethargy for 9-days now...no fever however. I'd certainly like to believe that I'm too big and too strong to have the ConJoboVirus fell me...but I am 65 years old and I definitely don't heal as well as I did when I was younger.

Please advise as to how "access was quashed" @guykuo.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been dealing with headache, mild congestion, lethargy for 9-days now...no fever however. I'd certainly like to believe that I'm too big and too strong to have the ConJoboVirus fell me...but I am 65 years old and I definitely don't heal as well as I did when I was younger.

Interesting, Hope you recover, so far In Saratoga County we still have 3 cases all related to direct exposure, the good news it has not gone up in a week and every school is shutting down including my Daughters. I did find a read on this virus and cardiac issues . ----->
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Provides Potent Reminder of the Risk of Infectious Agents - American College of Cardiology>

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
@fenderman... An ignore feature for this forum would be clutch. I was interested in this thread until a few posters started dominating the discussion with their agendas. Q, it almost sounds like you want COVID-19 so you can wear it like some sort of medal. I suppose it would fit your narrative so you could blame our President and Fox News for it.
You can ignore individual members, not just an entire thread. But I’m with you. And just ignoring the Dem-panic voices about the Pandemic.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What's your temperature?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The only way to correct the problem is for everybody to be in isolation for 2-weeks. Good luck with that ;)

Also, don't be driven by the mass hysteria. Don't see the reason for panic. The president gave the correct advice several times, BREATH, RELAX! ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Fed just lowered the Fed Fund rate to 0-.25 (ZIRP) as mentioned above by @Ssayer along with $700B for QE4.

This should help the markets in the morning, which I really thought may puke back another couple of thousand points...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Crap is crap, right? LOL Anyway, that guy is a comedian. Nobody should be taking those videos literally but his joking is definitely effective, especially individuals that are politically-sensitive and living life off media and hysteria! Obviously its a much more serious issue. Don't even bother following the stats, we're at 162,000+ reported cases thus far (as of 3/15/2020 6:00PM EST). The number of cases reported are far different than the actual number of cases circulating around (reported versus non-reported). At this point, this year's elections should be suspended. The elections is not even an urgent matter and is coming in the way as to how information is being delivered through the inter-web and country. Should we be concerned? Yes Should we be stocking up on toilet paper? Probably not. Should we be in a state of panic? No. Should we understand the science of this virus? Of course. ;)

By "it" you must mean crap.

Last edited:

rodb

n3wb
Reaction score
Fed just lowered the Fed Fund rate to 0-.25 (ZIRP) as mentioned above by @Ssayer along with $700B for QE4.

This should help the markets in the morning, which I really thought may puke back another couple of thousand points...
DJIA F 21,777.5 -976.0 -4.29%

The Fed's ammunition is now spent.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
DJIA F 21,777.5 -976.0 -4.29%

The Fed's ammunition is now spent.

Unless they decide to buy equities...

I think the problem is they can't buy their way out of this. Its both a demand and supply side issue and the market, as the market usually does, swings too fa/too fast in both directions. I think it'll be 2-4 weeks before they really start having an understanding on how to price things again.