Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Zerohedge is a pro-Putin, pro-Russian website.. and apparently, so is the White House these days. Neither source has a shred of credibility.

whatever dude... you seem to be the authority. .... Except so far ZE has been spot on.

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perhaps. Or perhaps not. Is not racism simply profiling based upon an ignorant assumption...or profiling based on ignorance?
Definitely not. But this is what this pathetic PC world today has made it seem.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Its been confirmed. The CDC was able to trace the Coronavirus to Antarctica :facepalm: (There's just so much mis-reporting happening)
This is just tip of the iceberg (pun intended)

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had not heard of ZeroHedge prior to this thread. Am I wrong in saying it's a news agregator? Lol at Tyler Durden, fight club reference I assume. What really broadsided me was the comments. Wow, no idea what to make of it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
News aggregator, blog,. Not the bible by any stretch, but generally good info and they cite their sources. Not unusual to read it there 3-5 days before you see it on the MSM. I began following it for the financial news. That said they are usually pretty, maybe overly bearish on the markets. One of many sources I visit each day. Dont pay attention to the comments, the peanut gallery is a mess

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes I get why they wont let them in. But I think it's already pretty obvious they "can't take care of themselves". Allowing their citizens to die to save face and figure it out themselves may be their strategy, but I'd have to disagree with you that our govt would not reach out for help if we were in over our heads. I'm one of those that doesn't fully trust our govt, but I can't believe they would not exhaust all options, even if non publicly.

My point was that you can't fault people for being suspicious when Chinese govt has not been transparent when lives are at stake.
Our government doesn't reach out for help for anything either... Puerto Rico and New Orleans ring any bells? Nope, we just let them suffer in misery until we speed up the resources we invest to solve the problem.

China is not a 3rd world country.. they are perfectly capable of handling anything we can handle.. and in fact, in many cases, they can do it even better than we can. Dude, they put up an entire hospital in 8 days... try doing that in the USA.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I had not heard of ZeroHedge prior to this thread. Am I wrong in saying it's a news agregator? Lol at Tyler Durden, fight club reference I assume. What really broadsided me was the comments. Wow, no idea what to make of it.
Yes, even their slogan "On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero" is straight out of Fight Club. And I second @bigredfish on the assessment. They are primarily an aggregator of news, with some editorial commenting. Each of their claims and quotes are sourced/linked to the original articles.

They do tend to put a right/conservative tilt to most stories, but they are fairly critical of Trump and his administration - as well as conservative congressional members - when appropriate (i.e. bombing Syria over now-verified bunk data).

The fact that they aren't 100% resistance and anti-Trump means they become a target for criticism, with the ever-predictable boogieman "RUSSIA!" It's unfortunate, but it is the polarized world we live in. When MSM is verifiably/documented 100% negative reports for the entire month of January on Trump, it is nice to have a place to go where stories are a little more balanced. ZH is that site for me and others... and they are generally much more accurate than most sites - and way more so than MSM.

In today's politics, I see the terms "alt-right", "foreign actor", "RUSSIAN interference!", and "conspiracy-theorist" as a badge of honor. It means you're much more likely to strip away the noise and emotion and get real information that isn't spun like it is on the TEEVEE....

That said, I was hoping this thread would be about monitoring anxiety, concern, preparations, or paranoia w/regard to the virus. Most have stuck to that - but of course politics (blame TRUMP!) has to get added to the pot.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
One thing that I really hadn't considered while preparing to avoid/survive the virus should it arrive locally is the very real and imminent shut down of the supply of all things from China. Even now factories around the world are grinding to a halt (Nisan in Japan, etc) for lack of Chinese-made parts.

Think about how many items at Walmart or on Amazon come from China... and that once the pipeline runs dry, those items will no longer be available. Of even more concern are mission-critical components that support things like our power grid, or manufacturing tools/robots. Imagine if the widgets needed to keep the lights on fails and any spares/backups are no longer available...

We see it already with Hikvision/Dahua... but what about parts for the CT scanner at the hospital, or airplane components? Very quickly, as existing inventory of these things dry up, we will be in a world of hurt - even without a virus in the states.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
True, I suspect we’ll start seeing certain things harder get. Though opportunity knocks and I also suspect alternate sources will popup for some.

At least bourbon, food and the ammunition I use are made here. I could get by without the nextgen iphone.

Still I pity the poor folks under lockdown there, it has to be a nightmare.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Our government doesn't reach out for help for anything either... Puerto Rico and New Orleans ring any bells? Nope, we just let them suffer in misery until we speed up the resources we invest to solve the problem.

China is not a 3rd world country.. they are perfectly capable of handling anything we can handle.. and in fact, in many cases, they can do it even better than we can. Dude, they put up an entire hospital in 8 days... try doing that in the USA.
I do remember the US asking for help with Katrina from the EU and NATO (possibly others) as well as accepting offered help from other countries, including......China. They sent a plane of supplies over.

I will agree with you on Puerto Rico though. The govt really botched that one. I get your point about no govt being perfect. Hence the reason for suspicion.

Here is the big difference, though. Those were disasters that affected people here. No chance of those hurricanes spreading and killing people around the world. China is being reckless with the lives of everyone on the planet.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

Its been confirmed. The CDC was able to trace the Coronavirus to Antarctica :facepalm: (There's just so much mis-reporting happening)
This is just tip of the iceberg (pun intended)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The reason why I went a little off-topic in my last two posts was to stress that nobody (7.63 billion Human population and growing) is completely informed of the global situation at this point (from climate change to emerging infectious diseases)

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The reason why I went a little off-topic in my last two posts was to stress that nobody (7.63 billion Human population and growing) is completely informed of the global situation at this point (from climate change to emerging infectious diseases)
Agree. And I only chimed in because while no one does know, there is nothing wrong with questioning or being sceptical of information given. Especially when it has the chance of affecting your health.

Bigbore050

n3wb
Reaction score

I assume you either don't follow world events or must not live in the US or china for that matter.

In September 2005, units of the Mexican Armed Forces responded to the emergency situations after Hurricane Katrina with aid and assistance,[1][2][3] appearing as a flagged, uniformed force in the United States for the first time since World War II in the 1940s and the first operational deployment of Mexican troops to the U.S. in 159 years.[4][5]
The Mexican contingent was based out of Kelly Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas for the duration of the deployment. The Mexican military conducted aid and cleanup missions in Harrison County, Mississippi in conjunction with Dutch navy sailors, U.S. Marines, and the U.S. Navy.

Why would the US reach out when usually the US provides lots of help to foreign countries and itself in times of disaster. Google is you friend.

I'm not a big fan of anything government but saying the US government lets people suffer in misery is not accurate.

Building a hospital that size in 8 day is no doubt impressive but why don't you think the US or other country couldn't do the same if the need presented itself.

I'm sure we don't share the same building codes Dude.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I assume you either don't follow world events or must not live in the US or china for that matter.

In September 2005, units of the Mexican Armed Forces responded to the emergency situations after Hurricane Katrina with aid and assistance,[1][2][3] appearing as a flagged, uniformed force in the United States for the first time since World War II in the 1940s and the first operational deployment of Mexican troops to the U.S. in 159 years.[4][5]
The Mexican contingent was based out of Kelly Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas for the duration of the deployment. The Mexican military conducted aid and cleanup missions in Harrison County, Mississippi in conjunction with Dutch navy sailors, U.S. Marines, and the U.S. Navy.

Why would the US reach out when usually the US provides lots of help to foreign countries and itself in times of disaster. Google is you friend.

I'm not a big fan of anything government but saying the US government lets people suffer in misery is not accurate.

Building a hospital that size in 8 day is no doubt impressive but why don't you think the US or other country couldn't do the same if the need presented itself.

I'm sure we don't share the same building codes Dude.

In 2004, 05, and 06, I was busy building a company working 16 and 18 hour days and I was not following much of anything except wires and welds back then..

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mother Nature's way of thinning the herd on an overly wasteful, exploding, world population. :blankstare:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Very difficult to defend against. Only 100% safe way would be if you had a bunker and could hideaway for 18 months with stored food / water until they have a vaccine and then get vaccinated before you could get exposed. I'm guessing for most people, they either don't have the facility to do that, or have jobs that would prevent that in any event. Watching your boss burn in a nuclear war, is very different to having to go back to an intact world with no job after the virus has cleared. That's going to be a major problem for those that can bug out and most can't.

Only other alternative is going to be to watch the situation and if it becomes widespread, resort to biohazard suits and sterilising anything (including food) brought into the house. Again very difficult for most people who will most likely have to rely on masks, safety glasses and hand washing.