Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, yesterday’s rocket ship buying may have been a powerful mini short squeeze or just a dead cat bounce? Either way, when the big money starts moving things that hard and that fast, I stay the hell out of the way!

For sure there were/are stocks on sale that didn’t deserve 15-20% sell-offs. I called some obvious ones like 3M and Costco as Buys, but didn’t pull the trigger. Alas I’m 90% in Money Market and Bonds and have been since last Sept. Didn’t get hurt by the big sell off last week.

Will likely play a bit in my Roth this week

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Stocked up here. Got laughs from many, but I didnt buy anything that will not be used anyway (including masks). Hopefully supply chains are not interrupted, but I'm not relying on others to determine if we eat or not. Empty store shelves might be more dangerous than the virus.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Business as usual here in Upstate NY, The only thing you cannot get here is N95 Masks. This is kind of strange but in 2009 we had a declared pandemic of the new influenza A (H1N1)pdm09, for some reason it was never on my radar, perhaps I was not paying attention, If you had asked me when the last pandemic was I would have told you 1918. I did in fact get the flu in 2010, never knew what strain it was but it put me down for a week. I'm by nature a optimist and this is going to end, I think its a good thing to be prepared but I think a LOT of fear is being generated and that is unnecessary at this point, Nobody knows how this is going to play out. The United States has a LOT better defense plans in place than 3rd world countries hands down. As a people, FEAR is not going to be our friend here. Common sense and logic will win the game every time.
Chris is right, if US can't control this virus , how can be No.1 in the world. Just washing your hands more frequency, stay away from busy places, do some excercises.

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see anyone talking about it yet, but since I live in San Antonio, I'm going to mention this...

I am honestly ASTOUNDED at the ineptitude of the CDC!!! They take all of these Diamond Princess Cruise Ship passengers, and quarantine them here, 2 weeks ago and I think, OK sure... we got the facilities to do that on the military bases. But then for only 14 days, wait, WTF, it is common knowledge the incubation period can be much longer than that so WTF are they thinking? Then, my WORST FEARS come true yesterday when they release someone prematurely, and instead of going straight back home, they putz around San Antonio, visiting a hotel and a large local shopping mall and food court. Then, CDC goes, wait a second, we got a test we hadn't finished that shows they're actually positive, come back. BRILLIANT!

I mean before this, I was kind of not too concerned about actually catching this virus so far, but at this point this one idiot woman and her desire to get out and shop right after being released, and the totally incompetent CDC officials who deemed this short quarantine length appopriate have possible stealth infected an untold number of individuals in this large city of San Antonio. We probably won't know who is newly infected here from the mall exposure for weeks, and at that point they will have spread it to others. I'm legit shook by this, I'm still going to work and sending my kid to school right now, but at this point it just feels like I'm waiting for the hammer to fall :( I'm most woried about my parents who are older, and other older people.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it’s safe to assume there are hundreds or more in many major US cities who are carrying it. The genie is out of the bottle.

At this point it’s looking like we have a “don’t test don’t tell” strategy evolving. That coupled with folks just not reporting that they have the flu, (do you normally?) could mean in the coming 5-10 days we Continue to see reports trickle out.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think it’s safe to assume there are hundreds or more in many major US cities who are carrying it. The genie is out of the bottle.

At this point it’s looking like we have a “don’t test don’t tell” strategy evolving. That coupled with folks just not reporting that they have the flu, (do you normally?) could mean in the coming 5-10 days we Continue to see reports trickle out.
People reporting they have the flu doesn't work either.

Yesterday, Monday March 2, we got a letter from our child's school informing us that another child in the school was infected with influenza.. The letter was dated Feb 20.

EDIT: Fixed date of letter..

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Feds cut the interest rates down to its lowest since 2008. They want us all to shop till we drop. :rofl:

I'm liking my new Avatar. Master Yoda has been relieved, lol...at least for now :p

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Didn't know Costco had its own Kirkland Signature brand for Disinfecting wipes.

Wow, Costco removed the listing from their website with fear of running out of stock soon

Product Not Found!
Sorry, but we weren't able to find the product you were looking for.

Lure customers in and spend more than what they need to, LOL :lol:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
At Costco now... surprised at how few folks are stocking up on this stuff...
Did you remember to hold your breath while shopping?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm currently typing from a enclosed 16x12 room where a couple of folks have either sneezed or cough. Earlier this morning, the person on my right sneezed, and a person in the back sneezed, and someone in the center of the room coughed. At the end of all this mess, I winded up doing the opposite, it was silent, but deadly. :winktongue:

Did you remember to hold your breath while shopping?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm currently typing from a enclosed 16x12 room where a couple of folks have either sneezed or cough. Earlier this morning, the person on my right sneezed, and a person in the back sneezed, and someone in the center of the room coughed. I did the opposite, it was silent, but deadly. :winktongue:
It probably killed the viruses in the air. They should thank you.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If there is one cure, that is laughter, enough said. It may sound immature, but it does the job. Best medicine = laughter. Its like a Bioethics question, if people are going to be infected, they should try to recover with ease.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Second Person Diagnosed in New York, that too in New York City

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting tidbit on price gouging starting...

Went to buy 4 more of the 7gal Aqua-Tainer storage cans from Amazon. Recall looking over the weekend they were $14 ea. Today $25ea, and Wallyworld is advertising them for $32ea

Found them at a Midwest farm supply place with 2 day delivery for.... $14ea

Geeez