Patch panel question

JonW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As someone who has installed many patch panels in the past, this is one of my favorites. It is modular and uses Keystone jacks and provides a spot to secure the cables so that if you need to move the patch pane, you aren't directly pulling on the connections.

I try to install as few RJ45 ends as possible. I try to terminate both ends of any cable that I run with either a patch panel or a keystone jack and then connect the device with a pre-made patch cord. My reasoning for this is strictly for reliability. I think that a properly secured punch-down connection on the jack and using decent quality patch cables that have ends where the boot is molded right into the RJ45 connector is a hard combination to beat.

I will echo what others have also said. A good quality punch down tool is a must.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sure.
My comment wasn't so much about the wiring - it was about the possibility that connecting a passive PoE cable to a non-PoE device might harm it.
An active, standards-based PoE power source will not supply 48v down the cable unless the powered device on the end of the cable performs the power startup handshake.
So you'd have to be sure to not accidentally connect a non-PoE device to a cable that has the 48v power supply hooked up to the other end.
From a a tp link site: Yes, you can connect a non-PoE device to a PoE port for data transmission with no problem, but the non-PoE device cannot be powered by switch. In fact, when there is a device connected to its PoE port, it will automatically detect the connection. If it is an ordinary device such as a computer, the PoE port will just work as an Ethernet port to transfer data only, which won't damage ordinary devices.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From a a tp link site: Yes, you can connect a non-PoE device to a PoE port for data transmission with no problem, but the non-PoE device cannot be powered by switch. In fact, when there is a device connected to its PoE port, it will automatically detect the connection. If it is an ordinary device such as a computer, the PoE port will just work as an Ethernet port to transfer data only, which won't damage ordinary devices.
Yes, agreed.
Because all of the above only applies when the switch / PoE port supports the 'active PoE standard', 802.3af / at.
The standard is designed such that when a non-PoE powered device is connected, it is not subjected to the 48v down the cable that an active PoE device can request via the power-up handshake.

Unless I've misunderstood how you've implemented your patch panel wiring, with the fixed 48v power supply simply being directly connected to all the unused data pairs, that's a passive PoE arrangement, which does not protect a non-PoE device that may be connected to it.
The cable always supplies 48v whatever type of device is connected.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As the very-well-known-and-respected-Swiss Schumaku states :
Yes, PoE delivery is triggered by a negotiation between the Power Sourcing Equipment (PSE) and the PD (powered device). The latest standards use LLDP in addition. If nothing is negotiated, there is no power supplied.
This only applies when using a standards-based active PoE PSE device.