pauses during Blue Iris recordings

MavIPC

n3wb
Reaction score
I have BI on a computer (not at location) set to record the sub-stream over the Net from a Hikvision cam when there is motion.

Sometimes the recordings show the first 3 seconds of motion, then the video remains frozen for about 7 seconds before it resumes (with the person who triggered it being 7 seconds further along the path) ie. the video ends up missing about 7 seconds.

What setting(s) in BI or in the Hikvision camera could fix the problem, ie. so no more missing/frozen seconds in the video?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have BI on a computer (not at location) set to record the sub-stream over the Net from a Hikvision cam when there is motion.

Sometimes the recordings show the first 3 seconds of motion, then the video remains frozen for about 7 seconds before it resumes (with the person who triggered it being 7 seconds further along the path) ie. the video ends up missing about 7 seconds.

What setting(s) in BI or in the Hikvision camera could fix the problem, ie. so no more missing/frozen seconds in the video?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Set the iframe interval to match the fps...if your streaming online the connection may not be stable..

MavIPC

n3wb
Reaction score
Set the iframe interval to match the fps...if your streaming online the connection may not be stable..
Had already done that - had them both at 20. I'll change them to 15 and see if it does anything.
I know that over the Net is not ideal but is there any other setting that could stop this. The problem only ever occurs at the beginning of a video, ie. after the first 3 seconds - but after the following 7 second pause/freeze, the rest of the video plays fine. That's why I thought there might be some setting that could fix it. I just want the recording to not be missing 7 seconds - and it's normally the most crucial 7 seconds.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Had already done that - had them both at 20. I'll change them to 15 and see if it does anything.
I know that over the Net is not ideal but is there any other setting that could stop this. The problem only ever occurs at the beginning of a video, ie. after the first 3 seconds - but after the following 7 second pause/freeze, the rest of the video plays fine. That's why I thought there might be some setting that could fix it. I just want the recording to not be missing 7 seconds - and it's normally the most crucial 7 seconds.
post an image of both the cameras video settings as well as blue iris video >configuration settings.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Does live view (in Blue Iris) pause like this or is it stable? Could be an issue of insufficient bandwidth and a whole lot of dropped frames.

It could also be a matter of overtaxing the CPU on the Blue Iris machine during recording; make sure you are configured to record direct to disk.

MavIPC

n3wb
Reaction score
Does live view (in Blue Iris) pause like this or is it stable? Could be an issue of insufficient bandwidth and a whole lot of dropped frames.

It could also be a matter of overtaxing the CPU on the Blue Iris machine during recording; make sure you are configured to record direct to disk.
Live view is stable ... until there's a trigger ... then it does exactly what the recording does as described above.
CPU usage moves anywhere from between 10 to 50% - but usually around 22%.
I've tried with both direct-to-disc selected and not selected - same problem still occurs.
I'm going to try increasing receive buffer to 10MB as suggested in this Thread. It's not the same problem but is similar.
Any other suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Live view is stable ... until there's a trigger ... then it does exactly what the recording does as described above.
CPU usage moves anywhere from between 10 to 50% - but usually around 22%.
I've tried with both direct-to-disc selected and not selected - same problem still occurs.
I'm going to try increasing receive buffer to 10MB as suggested in this Thread. It's not the same problem but is similar.
Any other suggestions?
post the screen shots requested...

Reaction score
Make sure your HDD is set to never sleep under advanced power settings. The delay could be caused by the computer bringing the HDD back online.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely a good idea to not allow the HDD to sleep. BI could be filling some tiny cache and then having to wait for the disk to spin up and in that time its own internal video buffer may overflow and you end up with lost data.

MavIPC

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure your HDD is set to never sleep under advanced power settings. The delay could be caused by the computer bringing the HDD back online.
Definitely a good idea to not allow the HDD to sleep. BI could be filling some tiny cache and then having to wait for the disk to spin up and in that time its own internal video buffer may overflow and you end up with lost data.
Excellent! I think that was the culprit. Thanks.

Doing it over the Net, I've also had to set a high value for "pre-trigger frame buffer size".
In terms of recording over the Net, what's the min resolution and fps that tends to be considered acceptable for recordings?