Phoenix homeowner fires gun at robbery suspects breaking into home

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Imagine if it was a cops house, I wonder if He could unload a whole mag at them, and the car, and get the Crime scene guys to " fix things" for him. Just wonder if a scenario like that ever happens.
I'd probably be in jail for shooting up the car. And have one of them as my Cellie. :)
oh the tragic Irony.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Cameras are great, but like the police who show up just in time to draw the outline of your body in white chaulk, they’re mostly good for figuring out who dunnit AFTER the fact.

This is why I advocate perimeter alarms. I use simple and reliable Guardline units at various places around the house and driveway.

Just :30 seconds or a minute of heads up warning at 2am can make a huge difference in your response and the outcome.
Which type of Guardline do you use?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Imagine if it was a cops house, I wonder if He could unload a whole mag at them, and the car, and get the Crime scene guys to " fix things" for him. Just wonder if a scenario like that ever happens.
I'd probably be in jail for shooting up the car. And have one of them as my Cellie. :)
oh the tragic Irony.
Aren't the police allowed to shoot at the car to prevent an escape in your state?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Heck, where I live if you speak to someone breaking in like that using harsh words you get prosecuted.

Just like ours then. If you don't make the burglar a cup of tea, welcome them to your home and show them around the valuables, you get prosecuted. It becomes aggravated if you don't give them a bag with which to carry them out.,

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If you live in area where the risk is high, it's probably worth investinging in a commercial grade door.

EU has 6 standards of door, although I'm sure 99.9% of the population know nothing about them nor what grade they have. I'd hazard a guess all regular domestic doors are probably grade 1 or maybe 2.

This is not a recommendation, but one company I found selling Class 4 doors - the cutaway looks impressive (under the "features" link) :

In case you can't all see it in the US, from what I can see welded U section edges, steel plates welded vertically along the front face of the door, a solid steel back to the door, steel cross pieces, and welded plates for the hinges, plus 6 locking bolts by the lock, another 8 on the hinge side, and 2 that shoot up and down, then faced off like a normal pvc door in white or wood or other colour finish.

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If you live in area where the risk is high, it's probably worth investinging in a commercial grade door.

EU has 6 standards of door, although I'm sure 99.9% of the population know nothing about them nor what grade they have. I'd hazard a guess all regular domestic doors are probably grade 1 or maybe 2.

This is not a recommendation, but one company I found selling Class 4 doors - the cutaway looks impressive (under the "features" link) :

In case you can't all see it in the US, from what I can see welded U section edges, steel plates welded vertically along the front face of the door, a solid steel back to the door, steel cross pieces, and welded plates for the hinges, plus 6 locking bolts by the lock, another 8 on the hinge side, and 2 that shoot up and down, then faced off like a normal pvc door in white or wood or other colour finish.
You'll need to be careful about getting commercial graded door and check with your state law first.

In some states, if criminals tried to kick down your door and hurt themself then you can be liable for their injuries but it's okay to shoot them once they break down your door and entered the property uninvited.

:oops:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah what about a bank. If they injure themselves trying to get through the door is the owner liable for not making entry easy? I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't know your laws, but that seems a little too snowflake even for the UK, and believe me we're snowflake.

The biggest danger from these doors is probably the fire bridage or ambulance not being able to get in, in an emergency. I guess they'd probably break a window then though.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What state? I would really like to see the statues on this one.
Challenge accepted... ( ok, so not exactly what you were looking for )

(CBS) GREENBRAE, Calif. - A Northern California homeowner who police say survived being shot in the jaw during a burglary is now getting a "punch in the gut": The burglary suspect is suing him for returning fire

Property owners have a duty of care to maintain the safety of the premises for those who come onto the property. Can a burglar sue for personal injury? The short answer is yes ..

1) Trapped Burglar Sues Homeowner
A fine example of good sense failing is the case of Terence Dickson. In the process of exiting a house he had just entered and burglarized, he found that his planned escape route through the garage was a dead end as the door opener would not function and he was unable to open the garage door. Turning back to re-enter the house, he found that the connecting door had locked behind him! He was forced to spend the next eight days with only a case of Pepsi and a bag of dry dog food.

Mr. Dickson, upon regaining his freedom from the garage, filed a suit against the homeowner’s insurance company on the basis of his having suffered mental anguish during his unintended confinement. Incredibly, the jury determined that Mr. Dickson was to be paid $500,000 for his suffering.

2) Teens will be Teens

Further proof that craziness happens is the case of two teens who burned themselves touching an uninsulated wire while trespassing on private property. The boundary-crossing boys sued the owner of the house for the injuries. In an unbelievable trial outcome, they were awarded $24.2 million.

The first time Nigel Sykes tried to get money from the Seasons Pizza restaurant, he did it with a gun, forcing his way into the business through the back door.

This time, Sykes is trying to get money from the pizzeria by suing the employees who tackled him and wrestled his gun away during the robbery.

Sykes alleges assault in a federal civil complaint claiming the rough treatment was "unnecessary" and that as a result of the injuries he suffered during his attempted hold-up, he is due over $260,000.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
(CBS) GREENBRAE, Calif. - A Northern California homeowner who police say survived being shot in the jaw during a burglary is now getting a "punch in the gut": The burglary suspect is suing him for returning fire
IMO, proof positive that if someone breaks into your home, burglarizes you and shoots you in the jaw (attempted murder) just make #$%& sure you shoot AND KILL the a$$hole so he won't be able to sue you. :headbang:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, proof positive that if someone breaks into your home, burglarizes you and shoots you in the jaw (attempted murder) just make #$%& sure you shoot AND KILL the a$$hole so he won't be able to sue you. :headbang:
Here in our non-communist state, recently passed some laws that hopefully will prevent such dumbassery by the judicial system from occurring.

Reaction score
Challenge accepted... ( ok, so not exactly what you were looking for )
Yes, anyone can sue anyone for anything. It is just a travesty that dumb juries award these criminals anything. The electrical wire one is correct in saying the homeowner needed to make that safe, but the award was way out of touch with reality.

But I am looking for the law that states you can't harden your front door.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thankfully we have Presumption here in Floriduh

776.013 Home protection; use or threatened use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—
(1) A person who is in a dwelling or residence in which the person has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and use or threaten to use:
(a) Nondeadly force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force; or
(b) Deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.
(2) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using or threatening to use defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used or threatened was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle,
or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
(b) The person who uses or threatens to use defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, anyone can sue anyone for anything. It is just a travesty that dumb juries award these criminals anything. The electrical wire one is correct in saying the homeowner needed to make that safe, but the award was way out of touch with reality.

But I am looking for the law that states you can't harden your front door.
so far finding:

Johnson also is charged with the offense of criminal fortification of a residence, a Class 3 felony, said Sangamon County State’s Attorney John Milhiser.

Springfield man charged after reinforced door broken down

So, looks like you can be charged for "fortification" ...