pinout question

spfrancis

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase this hikvision set from nelly security. I did have what is probably a newbie question. I'm having a major house remodel done, so I'm going to have the electrician wire the Ethernet. I am going to use POE, so I plan on having a POE NVR, that can power the cameras. I asked nelly about the pinouts for the cable, so that I can instruct the electrician to make the rj45 connectors. What Nelly told me was that it
needs to be T-568B, which is 1:White/Orange 2: Orange 3: White/Green 4:Blue 5:White BLue 6:Green 7:White Brown 8: brown.
I wanted to confirm that on this forum, and also understand if both ends need to be that way? I used to make regular Ethernet cables back in the day, and I had to roll certain pairs(I want to say it was 2,3,4,6)

Can someone confirm the pinout, and if both ends are going to be made the same way?
Thanks.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds like your electrician doesn't do a lot of data or he would know. Most jacks have the color code right on them. 2 things to note, they list color code for both A & B so make sure he uses B. Also keep the twist on the pairs as close to the pins as possible.

Good Luck.

spfrancis

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure if he knows it or not. I wanted to make sure that I had the information, so that there will be no question on how it needs to be punched down. So if I have "B" done on both the camera side, and the jack near the NVR. I just need a patch cord wired to "B", and that will be fine for wiring into the NVR.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
A or B doesn't matter, as long as you are consistant at both ends of each cable. TIA-568B is just used the most.
(it actually doesn't matter of you get the colors right, as long as both ends are the same and the pairs remain together,
ie, a pair in the middle, a pair spanning that middle pair, and pair on either side - light/dark in each pair also doesn't matter as long as both ends are the same)

spfrancis

n3wb
Reaction score
so a final question about POE wiring. I know that the cable used cat 6 cable in the walls. So really that is all I will need is Cat6 in the walls, and the ends to match the wiring for TIA 568B, correct? We are well within the max length. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing some other aspect.
We have a POE switch, and a POE camera. I have tested that to work fine with a 3 ft patch cable. Hopefully the next text is to test it through the walls.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so a final question about POE wiring. I know that the cable used cat 6 cable in the walls. So really that is all I will need is Cat6 in the walls,
You've asked and have received good advice regarding RJ-45 termination.

Now, regarding the cable itself (in case you didn't know or were not advised earlier):
Use solid (not stranded) copper (not CCA, Copper Clad Aluminum) , jacket should be minimally rated "CMR" (Riser) but can be "CMP" (Plenum, exceeds requirements for Riser). In other words, going up walls, in ceilings and between floors, attics and crawl spaces, the cable insulation needs to be UL- listed and rated to reduce toxic smoke and/or assisting flames to travel to other areas.
CMR will do it for all interior wiring, most likely.