Placement of camera; front of house

Reaction score
I want to add a camera outside that watches my driveway. The only issue I have is the way the house is built, there are no good placement options for the camera.
I have a Dahua HDBW4631R-ZS and Junction box which makes it stick out pretty far.

I have a CAT6 w/POE on the other side of the marked area, but I"m still not sure I want something that sticks out so far mounted there. Thoughts?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to add a camera outside that watches my driveway. The only issue I have is the way the house is built, there are no good placement options for the camera.
I have a Dahua HDBW4631R-ZS and Junction box which makes it stick out pretty far.

I have a CAT6 w/POE on the other side of the marked area, but I"m still not sure I want something that sticks out so far mounted there. Thoughts?
You dont want a dome camera just mounted to the wall like that, it will get pretty bad once rain hits it and ir starts reflecting back...the junction box is not that large...you can pull the wire under the siding and mount the camera on the softit to the right.
In the future avoid that hacked china region cameras like this one and look for a turret form factor.

Reaction score
You dont want a dome camera just mounted to the wall like that, it will get pretty bad once rain hits it and ir starts reflecting back...the junction box is not that large...you can pull the wire under the siding and mount the camera on the softit to the right.
In the future avoid that hacked china region cameras like this one and look for a turret form factor.
I was thinking about putting it there, just trying to figure out how to route the cable cleanly. I figured a dome camera was better for this situation. Also, I got the camera from aliexpress.com, which appears to be recommended by most people around here.

Edit: This camera quality from testing appears solid, was there something I should have looked for before purchasing it?

Reaction score
Most people recommend @EMPIRETECANDY who does have a store on aliexpress, along with a million other sellers. I've always emailed Andy directly rather than use the store.
Ah I see, didn't realize the scope of the marketplace. Hopefully this camera will server its purpose for some time then. Next time I know where to go.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking about putting it there, just trying to figure out how to route the cable cleanly. I figured a dome camera was better for this situation. Also, I got the camera from aliexpress.com, which appears to be recommended by most people around here.

Edit: This camera quality from testing appears solid, was there something I should have looked for before purchasing it?
Its not going to perform well in low light, its a dome which presents issues with ir reflection and most importantly, the firmware cannot be upgraded.

Reaction score
Its not going to perform well in low light, its a dome which presents issues with ir reflection and most importantly, the firmware cannot be upgraded.
I might have to see about returning it then, though I do have a porch light on either side of the garage doors.