Please critique my network setup for PC based camera system

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Currently have Hikvision NVR with Hikvision cameras. Must say, this is a simple setup.

These forums have me itching to try a PC based setup, most likley with Blue Iris. Darn this forum! :)

Bought Optiplex i7 setup from Dell outlet per recommendations from fenderman. Only mistake I made was 4GB RAM instead of 8GB. System due on Wednesday.

Greater security risks with PC based system?

I understand different network (subnet?) for the camera system is very complicated and most say unnecessary.

Here's my proposed network configuration. My understanding is by having PC with Blue Iris and IP Cameras plugged into the same switch will keep camera traffic off the rest of my network. Am I correct that camera traffic will use bandwidth on the rest of my LAN only when viewing cameras from another PC?

I've read a switch behind a switch is undesirable. If so, and I want more than 6 cameras, does that mean I need to buy a 16 port managed POE switch or can I put a switch behind a switch as shown in the attached image. I currently have four 3mp Hikvision cameras and intend to add at least 3 more (some 4mp), which will exceed the capacity of the 1st 8 port switch.

Another switch recommended by (?) is Ubiquiti http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HXT8QSO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Advantage to this is it has 9 ports so I can have 7 cameras with this device. But this too may be too few in the long run.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a couple of off-the-cuff comments as opposed to a full critique.
Cascading switches is perfectly OK, as long as they behave nicely by forwarding the broadcasts they are meant to. The layer-2 side of things doesn't care, and even on a cheap switch the added latency should be insignificant.
And you're unlikely to get anywhere near a MAC table full situation.
I've not studied specs for the devices you have identified.
Putting a 10/100 camera that will generate say 4-8Mbps traffic on a Gigabit managed switch port seems pretty wasteful, a 10/100 port is more than enough bandwidth capacity.
I'd have thought your video streaming device(s) might be a better candidate for the higher traffic capacity, depending on how HD your HD is.
Curious why the managed switch(es).
Are you planning logical separation with VLANs, or remotely power cycling?

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The switch was a recommendation by fenderman in another thread. Not knowing too much about network switches and how much load a 8 camera setup might tax my system, I figured it's better than a blind shot in the dark. I look to those "in the know" for recommendations.

I don't stream much HD at the moment but will likely increase as the years go by.

Thanks for the feedback.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The switch was a recommendation by fenderman in another thread. Not knowing too much about network switches and how much load a 8 camera setup might tax my system, I figured it's better than a blind shot in the dark. I look to those "in the know" for recommendations.

I don't stream much HD at the moment but will likely increase as the years go by.

Thanks for the feedback.
Note, that the switch was recommended as a good managed switch since you also mentioned wanting vlan. However, it is much simpler and easier to use a unmanaged switch...plug and play.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. Hope you did not take any offense to my comment. I have no clue to networking so look to experts like you for advice. I respect your advice.