Please, for the love of all that's holy, please make a sticky or Readme for noobs like me who are just getting into cams

Reaction score
Fellas,

As an old, retired Army NCO, I truly understand the concept of institutional knowledge, however, most Google searchers on their first visit to ipcamtalk.com won't. The book answer is "Institutional knowledge is the combination of experiences, processes, data, expertise, values, and information possessed by company employees. It can span decades and comprise crucial trends, projects, perspectives and that defines a company’s history. " Twenty-five years in the Army certainly qualifies me for this. But >>only<< for the Army. As for IP cameras, security cameras, whatever else is under the umbrella of Iipcamtalk.com, I am an absolute rookie, noob, however you wanna categorize me. I am not afraid to admit this but I will say that it does annoy me when the long-time members throw newbs under the bus with comments such as "that's been known forever' or 'everyone knows to use IE', etc. Fellas, I'm an >OLD< IT dude when the US Army used punch cards and 300 baud was the connection to the university for my time slot to the computer but I never thought that IE would be the absolute solution to Dahua cameras. I have been the recipient of EXCELLENT forum support in unscrewing my SD49425XB camera (again, thanks fellas!!) and I hope that everyone who ventures onto this forum gets the same love.

Therefore, I >>BEG<< the greybacks of this forum to, PLEASE, for the love of God and all that's holy, PLEASE establish a sticky README thread for us rookies who are just getting started and would benefit from the knowledge and experience of our betters. Make it a list of the known issues, techniques, and fixes for the Dahua cameras that would resolve most newb issues. Thus, most stoopid, newb, ignorant questions would avoid contaminaiting the high, holy threads list. 2¢

Cheers!!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Therefore, I >>BEG<< the greybacks of this forum to, PLEASE, for the love of God and all that's holy, PLEASE establish a sticky README thread for us rookies who are just getting started and would benefit from the knowledge and experience of our betters. Make it a list of the known issues, techniques, and fixes for the Dahua cameras that would resolve most newb issues.
The Wiki was mentioned above, you may care to zero-in specifically on The Cliff Notes, LOTS of Dahua info.

Reaction score
Gents, I'm sorry but perhaps I've missed the point. The first time visitor >might< look at the top menu but most will look at the middle of any page. If a banner or sticky comment pointed to the wiki or Cliff notes, that would suffice. How many times have forums posts been resolved that could've been found under the wiki or cliff notes? BTW, are cliff notes relevant anymore?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gents, I'm sorry but perhaps I've missed the point. The first time visitor >might< look at the top menu but most will look at the middle of any page. If a banner or sticky comment pointed to the wiki or Cliff notes, that would suffice. How many times have forums posts been resolved that could've been found under the wiki or cliff notes? BTW, are cliff notes relevant anymore?
Most of the time someone introduces themselves, and are pointed to the wiki and cliff notes. If they have a more specific question, it is answered. The other 90% of the time they ignore the wiki and cliff notes, even after being pointed to it. So.... :idk:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If someone cant be bother to look up at the wiki, then they probably should just buy a few sticky ring cams and be done with it.

Reaction score
In addition to the Wiki and Cliffs, what helped me was culling through the newb Introductions, page after page, to find many questions answered that had already been asked by others. It's kind of like locking yourself in a room for a while and immersing yourself in existing information. It can be rewarding to find things yourself. In terms of forum interaction, I come from many years of living in vintage VW forums (I'm a Bug/Bus freak), and those forums are absolutely littered with duplicate topic posts with the continual churn of newbs creating a user account and looking for a quick answer to the age-old question, "Why won't my Bug idle?" And, of course, people reply with "You see that search button at the top?"

So I get it, thus I did as much data mining as I could, ordered a dedicated PC, and a half dozen cameras from Andy before ever making a post here.

Not to mention, I used my google-fu to learn and understand interconnecting routers, switches, ethernet cables and how to make my own, and basic networking, since I had no idea what the hell an IP address was comprised of. So, it can be done, it just takes some determination and sticktuitiveness. I tried to save my more detailed questions for the road blocks I knew would be coming (like clips and folder allocation :D), and I'm still a newb! And still struggling with folders!

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think setting my up my sister In Laws four Blink camera's with the Sync Module, ( for local recording) was a big pain in the ass with a learning curve as well. It was was more of a hassle than i've had setting up a couple dahua camera's
Then the delay between the end of a detection event, and the time that it's ready to view is sometimes severly lagged.
Even the EZ camera's need some reading, and vernacular familiarization.

Perhaps you should start out with an easier path, like a POE NVR. and then play with Blue iris, while still having the NVR doing it's job...I have that going on my home system.
I was new like you. My Housemate lived in a seedy part of town more than once, and had "issues", So she wanted a camera System.
This conversation came to be while we were at Costco, ( where most impulsively bad idea's come to fruition.) And I felt bad about seeing her pay $600-700 for the Lorex system,
So we go the Nightowl system knowing " Jack Squat about the Camera World."

And now 3 years on......I know I got fucked, played and used by the marketing cunts of Retail.
But you can't get three years of hard knocks experience from a Wiki. You have to bumble around and try stuff and read some and try stuff and ask questions.
The only " in " I had was a semester of Cisco Networking Academy, and Some insane desire to upgrade computers to realize their full potential.
It really may be beyond some folks to try and run Blue Iris and do Ip addressing, and network basics.

That leaves the " EZ button" systems. and that, we have found, has left us unfulfilled.
You gotta start somewhere.
I didn't even figure out how to post in the fucking Forum for about 6-8 months, i could only "reply".
So you've already got a leg up on me.
But i have managed to get 35 cameras running on 2 systems. and the shits working good.