Please help a camera noob protect his family!

dirkbaggit

n3wb
Reaction score
I live in a condo with a first floor two car garage door and front door, no windows, the first floor is just a landing leading up to the living area. I have fiber running to a ubiquity setup including a security gateway -> 8 port switch -> cloud key -> two wireless mesh access points.

Due to recent vandalism and some bad neighbors, I need to mount a camera on my front door and on the garage door. I'm looking for something wireless, that could possibly steam to my cloud key or to a NAS. It need night vision, and battery power would be optimal since the plugs are easy to spot outside my garage and front door.

I heard the ubiquiti cameras are not that good, so I'm asking the pros for suggestions. Budget is 100-200 range per camera. Please help me protect my family!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

Use Dahua or Hikvision cameras. For outside use Dahua Starlight or Hikvision Dark fighter cameras. Use turret cameras, do not use dome of bullet. Do not use WIFI cameras, use hardwired camera.

Mounting the cameras correctly is very important. As said a number of times, You want to know what happened and who did it. Mounting cameras to high will not let you identify who did it.

Please read the cliff notes to get started.

Reaction score
I live in a condo with a first floor two car garage door and front door, no windows, the first floor is just a landing leading up to the living area. I have fiber running to a ubiquity setup including a security gateway -> 8 port switch -> cloud key -> two wireless mesh access points.

Due to recent vandalism and some bad neighbors, I need to mount a camera on my front door and on the garage door. I'm looking for something wireless, that could possibly steam to my cloud key or to a NAS. It need night vision, and battery power would be optimal since the plugs are easy to spot outside my garage and front door.

I heard the ubiquiti cameras are not that good, so I'm asking the pros for suggestions. Budget is 100-200 range per camera. Please help me protect my family!
Pretty much forget 'wireless' for any outdoor camera. It is neither reliable, fast, nor secure.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Welcome @dirkbaggit

Definitely check out the cliff notes and members reviews on cameras ( search "review" in the title - see the upper right of the webpage )

I concur with VorlonFrog and SouthernYankee - skip wifi cameras if you need a reliable setup.

The Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras are very popular with members looking for better low light results.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely avoid WiFi crap, especially battery powered. Wired, PoE, starlight/dark fighter, turrets mounted no higher than about seven feet and plan for more than two, especially if you park a car or two in the driveway.

Read the material in the Wiki, plan and ASK here before you spend any money. Most importantly heed the answers provided here. Most of us have "been there done that". Doing it right the first time is less expensive, and frustrating, than going the wrong way the first time and having to do it all over again.