Please help an idiot on getting win 10 PC to see SSD

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So after trying macrium, I get "failed' run chkdsk y/ :r which appers to have done nothing. Rebooting gets me this "Missing operating system'. Went to bios, set boot order to read from CD first but still get "Missing operating system". This is very frustrating! Anyone in San Jose, Ca that can come fix this for me, I will pay.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So after trying macrium, I get "failed' run chkdsk y/ :r which appers to have done nothing. Rebooting gets me this "Missing operating system'. Went to bios, set boot order to read from CD first but still get "Missing operating system". This is very frustrating! Anyone in San Jose, Ca that can come fix this for me, I will pay.
Not need to pay...ITS REALLY SIMPLE.
Plug usb with windows in the pc...boot from the usb - F12 at startup. install windows 10 on ssd.
Why are you trying to clone?

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Excuse me while I vent. System is now dead. No operating system found. Tried installing from Dell disc but no love. No operating system found. I think the better solution would have been to buy a new Hikvision NVR and not go down the complicated PC with Blue Iris path. Not happy. Too much trouble. Less money, less hassle.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Fenderman, i do not have a USB with windows, nor do I know how to make one. I am really frustrated right now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, i do not have a USB with windows, nor do I know how to make one. I am really frustrated right now.
You wont be able to install with the dvd because of specific settings in the bios...
Call dell they will send you one overnight for free...didnt you mention you made a usb drive? Remember that you need to RUN the tool on the PC which will then create the bootable USB not simply download the tool the the usb.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Hikvision nvrs offer much less options than blue iris...less hassle is questionable..
The ssd is a very basic task...and you dont even need it, its just helpful...

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No clue why this is so f'ing complicated. Acronis does nothing, neither does Reflect. I can change a 60W bulb for a 100W bulb, can someone please invent software that aloows me to change a hard drive without needing a degree in computer science. UGH!

LOL this is the exact reason why I buy macs. But there are those who will say otherwise adding a HD in a mac is simple plug it in turn on format it really fast restore computer from back up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL this is the exact reason why I buy macs. But there are those who will say otherwise adding a HD in a mac is simple plug it in turn on format it really fast restore computer from back up.
Its the exact same process in windows as well. If you want to pay 5 times the price for an equivalent machine because you believe the installation of a drive is easier then so be it. Macs actually dont have the ability to handle more than one drive internally or run blue iris properly, which op wants.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You wont be able to install with the dvd because of specific settings in the bios...
Call dell they will send you one overnight for free...didnt you mention you made a usb drive? Remember that you need to RUN the tool on the PC which will then create the bootable USB not simply download the tool the the usb.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Hikvision nvrs offer much less options than blue iris...less hassle is questionable..
The ssd is a very basic task...and you dont even need it, its just helpful...
Thanks fenderman, new day, calmer at the moment. ha ha. I tried several times to install from disc, then I saw your post. No wonder it won't work. I'll call Dell. Thanks for being patient with me.

By the way also before I read this, I reformatted the SSD as the install disc keep complaining about not seeing a partition. I hope I didn't screw that up.

Acronis and reflect are for cloning from one drive to another, so I don't think that can be pinned on Microsoft. I too prefer not to be charged a high price for a computer, although I own an iPhone. And even if I did want to pay, I have several programs that are not supported on Apple.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Dell. Disc will be here tomorrow. Gotta love Dell! Great support!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Dell. Disc will be here tomorrow. Gotta love Dell! Great support!
The support is good because its optiplex business...home would be a different story...HP business is even better...
Ask them for the USB not the disc..you may have issues trying to load from a disc...
Also, you dont need dell...you can simply create your own media with an 8gb usb stick using the link i provided..its will be a clean windows install with no added junk.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its the exact same process in windows as well. If you want to pay 5 times the price for an equivalent machine because you believe the installation of a drive is easier then so be it. Macs actually dont have the ability to handle more than one drive internally or run blue iris properly, which op wants.

Well you're wrong there my mac runs two drives just fine the ssd along with the factory one it came with. Its not about believing its easier I have worked on both and speak from the experience anything windows related is a nightmare rarely does it ever work as planned. Mac i haven't had issues with. I have my option and you windows people have yours i just know when to not continue the debate since its pointless. what ever works for you great ill speak what works for me and from experience. to each is their own. And you have the typical windows thoughts that because its more money its crap i pay for what works and i pay knowing if i have a issue i walk in apple and walk out with it fixed right then and there or with a new one. Windows well you have to deal with who you bought from and send it here and there and wait for it to be fixed if you are lucky that in its own its worth the price dealing with one place rather then finger pointing companies who say its there fault and not ours. Just saying

Moving on

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you're wrong there my mac runs two drives just fine the ssd along with the factory one it came with. Its not about believing its easier I have worked on both and speak from the experience anything windows related is a nightmare rarely does it ever work as planned. Mac i haven't had issues with. I have my option and you windows people have yours i just know when to not continue the debate since its pointless. what ever works for you great ill speak what works for me and from experience. to each is their own. And you have the typical windows thoughts that because its more money its crap i pay for what works and i pay knowing if i have a issue i walk in apple and walk out with it fixed right then and there or with a new one. Windows well you have to deal with who you bought from and send it here and there and wait for it to be fixed if you are lucky that in its own its worth the price dealing with one place rather then finger pointing companies who say its there fault and not ours. Just saying

Moving on
Im not talking about 2.5 inch drives...keep fooling yourself and paying a 5x+ premium, there are suckers born every day........I have never had to make a repair to a desktop other than an occasional hard drive and I maintain many pc's...laptop repairs are VERY rare. DELL HP and others have a three year next business day warranty so you dont even have to go to the apple store. I guess these apple devices keep dying on you if service at the apple store is that important. I dont have these issues with windows. If windows was a nightmare to you then the only explanation is that you are a computer novice. Really. There is no other way to explain it.
You obviously are comparing apple to some low end home brands - apples to oranges...the rest of us will save our money...regardless op is using the pc for blue iris which is not available for mac. I buy a windows machine with an i5-4590 and windows 10 pro for 280...out the door. Tell me where you can get a mac for anywhere close to that.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im not talking about 2.5 inch drives...keep fooling yourself and paying a 5x+ premium, there are suckers born every day........I have never had to make a repair to a desktop other than an occasional hard drive and I maintain many pc's...laptop repairs are VERY rare. DELL HP and others have a three year next business day warranty so you dont even have to go to the apple store. I guess these apple devices keep dying on you if service at the apple store is that important. I dont have these issues with windows. If windows was a nightmare to you then the only explanation is that you are a computer novice. Really. There is no other way to explain it.
You obviously are comparing apple to some low end home brands - apples to oranges...the rest of us will save our money...regardless op is using the pc for blue iris which is not available for mac. I buy a windows machine with an i5-4590 and windows 10 pro for 280...out the door. Tell me where you can get a mac for anywhere close to that.

Ill let you know when any of my apple devices fail which hasn't happened yet. I can't count on how many times windows machine fail due to bad software, memory and mother boards. as I said to each is there own and fyi I don't have to pay for mac work does so it doesn't cost me anything nor would a windows machine if i truly wanted it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ill let you know when any of my apple devices fail which hasn't happened yet. I can't count on how many times windows machine fail due to bad software, memory and mother boards. as I said to each is there own and fyi I don't have to pay for mac work does so it doesn't cost me anything nor would a windows machine if i truly wanted it.
Seems you were buying bottom of the barrel hardware then complaining. You know the same folks who make apples memory and motherboards make them for windows machines? Something is very wrong if you are had these constant failures. I dont have magical machines. They work fine. Bad software doesnt cause a machine to fail. Paying 5x more for the same hardware is insanity, the fact that you get it for free doesnt get factored into to whether its a good buy for everyone else. Its a suckers buy.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The support is good because its optiplex business...home would be a different story...HP business is even better...
Ask them for the USB not the disc..you may have issues trying to load from a disc...
Also, you dont need dell...you can simply create your own media with an 8gb usb stick using the link i provided..its will be a clean windows install with no added junk.
Again,acting before seeing your advice. :) Dell sent the disc and i installed it without issue. He also sent the driver disc which was also helpful. It's a Windows 7 disk as that is what came installed on this PC. No big deal. Will let it update to 10 then perhaps download ISO and do a clean install if that is important (vs. update over Win 7).

Will Google on making a copy of Windows 10 on USB (that is possible, right, being as I have a license).

Fenderman, I can't thank you enough for your help. But be forewarned, once I get the PC updated to Windows 10 I know I'll be back for many searches and questions on Blue Iris and other hardware.

Much great information and help on this site. Well worth the membership!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Again,acting before seeing your advice. :) Dell sent the disc and i installed it without issue. He also sent the driver disc which was also helpful. It's a Windows 7 disk as that is what came installed on this PC. No big deal. Will let it update to 10 then perhaps download ISO and do a clean install if that is important (vs. update over Win 7).

Will Google on making a copy of Windows 10 on USB (that is possible, right, being as I have a license).

Fenderman, I can't thank you enough for your help. But be forewarned, once I get the PC updated to Windows 10 I know I'll be back for many searches and questions on Blue Iris and other hardware.

Much great information and help on this site. Well worth the membership!
I wound not do an in place upgrade on a new pc..i would download the windows 10 iso onto a USB drive and install it clean. There is nothing to google. I posted the link to Microsoft's tool that will you create a usb installation drive. Make sure you have the windows 7 key that came with the PC as you will need it when installing (you can enter the 7 key in the 10 installation prompt)..the 10 key may also be in the bios, but usually if the system comes with 7 its not...if there is no key, then you can do an in place upgrade, make sure that 10 is activated, then you will be able to do a clean install with no key at all (microsoft registers the components on the pc and you will never need the key again for that system).

wseaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Considering your Mac is using entirely PC parts (excluding the BIOS, which is the only difference ) that's a pretty stupid statement. Also, I can link you to Mac support forums of iMac users having the same SSD migration headaches.

I support Mac and Apple end client devices in enterprise environments and their failure rate is just as bad as any PC with iMacs having a higher failure rate than Dell Precisions in our offices. Mac networking stacks are far, far worse to deal with than any Windows machine. I'd also like to point out I've never seen an Apple product in a data center either. My Windows products conduct business operations in the form of servers and hosting corporate databases while the Mac devices stay primarily attached to critical things.... like iTunes.

I'm not a die hard fan of Win10, but the majority of installations and in place upgrades I've done have gone pretty smooth even considering the insane amount of diverse software run on Windows 7 PCs. A far cry from OSX upgrades which break every damn thing in the known universe. Trying to think of the last time I've had somebody request I virtualize OSX and stream it....wait....never. That's because the iPhone does 99.99999% of what Mac desktop users do anyways; surf, FB, and play videos.

That said, I've done dozens migrations from magnetic spinners to SSD, and it's a piece of cake. If anything it's easier on PCs because there are more cloning tools that support Volume Shadow Copy services which is light years more evolved than that time machine junk.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I need to create separate flash drives with different ISOs. The new Optiplex 9020 came with Windows 7 professional 64 bit. I have a desktop with Windows 7 Home 64 bit and a laptop with Windows 7 32 bit (has been upgraded to 10 but not happy with performance). Do I need to create USB drives for each of these versions or will one ISO work for all? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I need to create separate flash drives with different ISOs. The new Optiplex 9020 came with Windows 7 professional 64 bit. I have a desktop with Windows 7 Home 64 bit and a laptop with Windows 7 32 bit (has been upgraded to 10 but not happy with performance). Do I need to create USB drives for each of these versions or will one ISO work for all? Thanks.
I think with the newest release, one works for all...it used to give you the option when you create it..it doesnt matter, just try to create it and see what happens...

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Considering your Mac is using entirely PC parts (excluding the BIOS, which is the only difference ) that's a pretty stupid statement. Also, I can link you to Mac support forums of iMac users having the same SSD migration headaches.

I support Mac and Apple end client devices in enterprise environments and their failure rate is just as bad as any PC with iMacs having a higher failure rate than Dell Precisions in our offices. Mac networking stacks are far, far worse to deal with than any Windows machine. I'd also like to point out I've never seen an Apple product in a data center either. My Windows products conduct business operations in the form of servers and hosting corporate databases while the Mac devices stay primarily attached to critical things.... like iTunes.

I'm not a die hard fan of Win10, but the majority of installations and in place upgrades I've done have gone pretty smooth even considering the insane amount of diverse software run on Windows 7 PCs. A far cry from OSX upgrades which break every damn thing in the known universe. Trying to think of the last time I've had somebody request I virtualize OSX and stream it....wait....never. That's because the iPhone does 99.99999% of what Mac desktop users do anyways; surf, FB, and play videos.

That said, I've done dozens migrations from magnetic spinners to SSD, and it's a piece of cake. If anything it's easier on PCs because there are more cloning tools that support Volume Shadow Copy services which is light years more evolved than that time machine junk.
who said anything about time machine? Only rookies and those who don't know use time machine or even use it existance to prove a point.