PLEASE HELP, I'm losing my mind trying to find a home security camera system

Bassett72

n3wb
Reaction score
I need a home system (thinking IP with NVR), 2 cameras to start for sure, with the ability to do 4 for sure, maybe 8 if the cost isn't much more. I always like to leave room for expansion.

I'm really out of luck locally, besides this one system (1st 5 photos enclosed "STORM BY INAXSYS").

The other two pictures are quotes by SCW (Securitycamerawarehouse.com) and 123Security.com. I don't know boo about systems, so I'm really at the mercy of every salesman I talk to. I want a decent quality system that will last awhile, give me good pictures, will notify my phone when motion is detected, and cameras that will withstand the cold Wisconsin winters. I think most will, and I'm leaning towards the bullet or turret design, not a dome. Would love more input to help make up my mind.

Maybe the local guy, 123 Security, and SCW are all crap. Heck, I just wouldn't know.
To be honest, I like the conversations I've had with SCW and their 3 year warranty, lifetime support, but they could be feeding me a line of bull.

Anyone have experience with them?

The local guy was VERY nice, older, seems very honest, but again, is his STORM BY INAXSYS system crap?

Can ANYONE help me with this. Is there maybe another place to shop, route I should go. I would love to get this done soon before it gets hot out and I pass out running the cables in the attic.

OH, and with just 2 cameras I would like to stay around $700, with for around $1000. IF need be, I can go higher, but only if there is a significant jump in quality/reliability.

I would really appreciate anything you can give me related...

OH, and someone else suggested this system, but on the surface, it seems too much like a big box item that folks have told me to steer clear off... https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-s ... iewSection

OH, and the guy that is PUSHING me towards Lorex has never even used the system, just likes that they are using Dahua cameras? Says they are the best.

Again, PLEASE HELP!

Thanks...

Storm by Inaxsys-QUOTE.JPG Storm by Inaxsys-1.JPG Storm by Inaxsys-2.JPG Storm by Inaxsys-3.JPG Storm by Inaxsys-4--cameras.JPG SCW NVR and IP Cameras.JPG 123 Security Hikvision quote.JPG

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you doing the install yourself? Is the above just for hardware? If so, these are "okay" retail prices but are surely NOT DIY pricing if you plan to do all the grunt work yourself.

Bassett72

n3wb
Reaction score
I am doing it myself. These are JUST hardware costs. I don't know anything about security cameras, but I'm very capable of the work involved at least from a hardware install perspective. I already have a plan in place and know I can get the Cat5e to each camera and down the the NVR....

I guess this is where I need guidance. What is a good system, user friendly, reliable, and where to do I get it from that won't break the bank???

And I suppose it goes without saying, but just in case, I need something that will alert me via text, e-mail, push notification when motion is detected.

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is an option to purchase a few configurations.

What you'll need regardless if your doing your own install:
1000' Cat 5e, solid copper $70: 1000FT Cat5e Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Cable, UTP, Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), 24AWG, Blue, Generic - Monoprice.com
100 Cat5E Ends $6: RJ-45 MODULAR PLUGS RJ45 - 100 PACK FOR SOLID - Monoprice.com
Took kit with toner $15: Amazon.com: UbiGear Cable Tester +Crimp Crimper +100 RJ45 CAT5 CAT5e Connector Plug Network Tool Kits (Crimper315): Computers & Accessories
4TB WD Purple Drive: 4TB Purple - Google Search

So call it $225 for "needed" stuff/accessories

Below are two options via Aliexpress. Both are updatable hardware and are NOT china region hardware that can't be updated. If you understand the difference you can save even more money, but being a novice I wouldn't recommend it.

Dahua Hardware Option via Empire Tech who is active on this forum. so $850 for some GREAT hardware (NVR and 4 cameras) that includes varifocal cameras/starlight images.
8 POE NVR $265: Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua H.265 NVR with 2SATA 8POE ports , 4K NVR 8ch DH NVR4208 8P 4KS2 free DHL shipping from Reliable dahua h.265 suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
Starlight 4mm Camera $123: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Dahua-Built-in-Mic-2mp-Starlight-IR-Eyeball-Network-Camera-NO-LGO-IPC-HDW4231EM-AS-free/1200032_32752082807.html
Varifocal Camera Option $170: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DAHUA-2-7mm-12mm-motorized-lens-2MP-WDR-IR-Eyeball-Network-Camera-IPC-HDW5231R-Z-free/1200032_32752082732.html

HIKVision Hardware Option via XinRay 4 cameras sub $700 depending on config
8 POE NVR $220: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bf5Gd1mo
4mm Bullet $114: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cK5kv1VO
4mm Turret $107: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/R6tlx8G

Also search for the forum for user @milkisbad he works for a company that private labels HIK hardware and can assist you in ordering stateside with a 3 year hardware warranty.
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/hikvision-lts-3-4mp-camera-review-example.5449/
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/lts-2mp-dome-turret-install.14760/
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/ip-cameras-multiple-locations.14995/#post-137074

The Dahua config above is a little more robust and better cameras IMO since it includes variable focus hardware. I hope this gives you some more insight, and doesn't simply cause additional confusion.

Finally this:
I need something that will alert me via text, e-mail, push notification when motion is detected.
The majority of NVR hardware will do so via Email. Understand that motion detection is VERY hard to get dialed in perfectly on all NVR hardware. There are some additional triggers like "line crossing" or "Zone" that can provide more refined notifications, however motion seems to be to sensitive or not sensitive enough, that sweet spot is hard to dial in depending on the environment. If you really need customized motion and alerts you need to possibly shift your focus to a PC based NVR solution via Blue Iris as it will provide you a little more refinement.

Good Luck

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well said ZD

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Bassett72

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, this is great stuff, Zero-Degrees. And zebrok, I can't think clearly anymore after seeing your posted Pic...LOL But, damn, I like it.

I'm glad I switched forums. The other forum all I had was one guy swearing that the Lorex system was the way to go, yet when I called him on WHY, he said it looks good. That was all I got in a week of posting.

So, with that, I now have more questions. You say, "Below are two options via Aliexpress. Both are updatable hardware and are NOT china region hardware that can't be updated. If you understand the difference you can save even more money, but being a novice I wouldn't recommend it."

So, are you saying I should stay away from the first 2 options from Aliexpress???

If that is not the case, then I lean towards the more robust option #1 for those prices. I don't want to cheat myself here. Now, I do have another question. 1 of these cameras will be at the front door off the the right as you face my front door with the left of the door being the wall to my garage, mounted under the soffit. I woudlnt have to cover a great deal of distance.

Which camera is better for this application?

FYI----
Camera #2 will be above the 3rd car garage door, covering the driveway, which is about 40 to 50 feet, 3 doors wide at top, narrowing to 2 doors wide at the bottom. Which camera for this? Actually, if I go with Camera #3 and #4, those would also be covering back doors, mounted to the soffit. SO I imagine they would be the same as #1 (front Door).

Also, keep in mind I live in Wisconsin. #1 is protected from the elements, #2 will be mostly protected from the direct rain/snow, unless the wind is blowing from the south, but during the day gets all the sun as it would be on the south side of the house. #3 and #4 are on the north side of the house, #4 would not get a lot of exposure to the elements, but would get morning sun as it is on the East side of the house. #3 would be hit will the elements, but would get very little sun exposure. Not sure what that all means to these cameras, but wanted to get that on the table.

Sorry, one more thing. PC-Based NVR. What does this all entail as far as location, etc. Right now I can easily run the cables to my basement where I was thinking of putting the NVR, but my new iMAC is in my office, which would be more difficult to run to. I'm intrigued though. What are the PROS/CONS? How does it work?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
So, are you saying I should stay away from the first 2 options from Aliexpress???
No, those links I posted are "safe" and upgradable/updatable hardware. I did NOT list World Language/Hacked China cameras.

As it relates to Dahua
Driveway Camera 4mm lens most likely
Front door and back door - varifocal lens so you can adjust exactly what you need
Other cameras 4mm or varifocal depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Also, keep in mind I live in Wisconsin.
Cameras will be fine in the elements, these are turrets and not domes. Domes would NOT be okay becuase of water spots on the dome that woudl relfect the IR

Sorry, one more thing. PC-Based NVR.
Blue Iris will NOT work on a Mac, if you want to know more about it head over the the sub section of this forum for BI. I'm not a user but you can learn a lot from that group.

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You've come to the right place and you'll get solid info here. Just joined myself and trying to learn, GREAT bunch of folks here. As noted, Dahua is very good gear. Determine what you want to cover with cameras and read read read. We are building a new house in the fall and will put up about 12 cameras or so. Highly suggest you read @nayr''s reviews of the Dahua the develop a plan and oh, did I say READ?

Bassett72

n3wb
Reaction score
I will certainly continue to, and have been, reading. To the point of distraction....

One thing, would you go with Dahua, or do I investigate this, @milkisbad, guy and see what he can do for me???

If Dahua is the better option overall, and I'm not going to save much more than $100 - $200, then I need to narrow my focus as with 2 kids in sports and a demanding job, time is precious....

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Personally, I am going Dahua. You cannot put a price on the support from the folks here on this forum.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@Bassett72 I have direct access to LTS equipment via direct channels and have for several years - this is what Milk has access to. The hardware is HIK hardware but under the LTS brand. The advantages with them are they have an awesome 3 year warranty with their hardware and normally get it swapped next day in a lot of cases. What some may see as a downside is they only deal with licensed companies/distributors in the security sector, but Milk can assist you with an account so you can have access to the hardware - what this means though is their tech support is not for the end user and will be limited since they are normally dealing with skilled intigrators that don't need basic tech support. The links I posted are a few snaps from LTS equipment installs i've done if you want to see examples.

Dahua in my opinion has a great set of hardware available right now which is the starlight series that provides some crisp night time images. HIK did just release their line of ultra low light cameras that will compete against the Dahua starlight. I don't have any personal experience with these yet, but I've got two on order to try them out from Aliexpress that will be here next month sometime (i save a few bucks and went China post) since they are a "want" not a need".

At the end of the day - HIK vs. Dahua is Ford vs. Chevy. I'm happy with HIK and it's offering. I don't exactly like how they do business and conduct themselves but I'm happy with their hardware. I keep telling myself I'll give a full dahua setup a shot in an upcoming job but I just never do.

Bassett72

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, now you have me geeking out about your garage floor. I might PM you about that....I've wanted to do that for years, but with a 3 car, 1.5 car keep garage, it is going to be costly, and I worried about doing it myself and having it peel up.

OK, back to cameras....I like the LTS idea because of the warranty and that they are MUCH closer to home. You scared me a bit with the lack of support. How concerning is this? To me, my system seems VERY simple and that as long as the equipment doesn't fail, I should be good. I know, I'm being very naive here.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, now you have me geeking out about your garage floor. I might PM you about that....I've wanted to do that for years, but with a 3 car, 1.5 car keep garage, it is going to be costly, and I worried about doing it myself and having it peel up.
LTS 2MP Dome & Turret install
See this specific post about the floor. I've done the floor myself with those DIY kits at my last two houses - after a few years they start to yellow from hot tires and fail. I followed everything in those kits to a T and still had issues. When we built this house I told the wife the floor was getting done professionally. They came in and ground the top 1/32 off the floor to open up the pours of the concrete. They put a primer coat down, then put the base coat down and dumped the flakes all over it. Came back the next day and swept up all the loose flakes, then put down the sealer. I LOVE IT. The flake provides a nice anti slip texture and it's extreamly durable. I've hit it with a power washer twice now (half way though winter and last week) and it looks as good as it did the day they installed it. Total cost was $1,950 (650 sq ft) with a lifetime warranty below the clear coat. They don't cover the top clear because if I dump acid on it etc, but if the flak or underlying bonding fails they'll come out and repair the failed area.

OK, back to cameras....I like the LTS idea because of the warranty and that they are MUCH closer to home. You scared me a bit with the lack of support. How concerning is this? To me, my system seems VERY simple and that as long as the equipment doesn't fail, I should be good. I know, I'm being very naive here.
For the most part this is true. The cameras and NVR are "Plug and Play" so the need for tech support won't really come into play here. When you get into the more advanced features and trying to dial stuff in you'll come up with questions, but the manuals or online tutorials should cover it, if not this forum surely will.