Please help me convert my old Speco system to IP Cameras and NVR

bosco500

n3wb
Reaction score
Long story short, I had a burglary at one of my properties and couldn't identify the suspect because of the poor quality of the speco cameras. Its a shame because I paid a lot of money for them, but they just won't work for what I need. So I ordered a DS-7716NI-SP/16 NVR. I'm going to order some cameras soon, but need to know how I can use the existing COAX cable for the cameras. Is this possible? If so, what do I need besides the NVR and cameras? I'm assuming I will need some sort of COAX -> RJ45 converter? Will I need the converter at the NVR and another at the camera? Thanks for any help you can provide!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Long story short, I had a burglary at one of my properties and couldn't identify the suspect because of the poor quality of the speco cameras. Its a shame because I paid a lot of money for them, but they just won't work for what I need. So I ordered a DS-7716NI-SP/16 NVR. I'm going to order some cameras soon, but need to know how I can use the existing COAX cable for the cameras. Is this possible? If so, what do I need besides the NVR and cameras? I'm assuming I will need some sort of COAX -> RJ45 converter? Will I need the converter at the NVR and another at the camera? Thanks for any help you can provide!
Welcome to the forum. While they have converters, its will cost about the same to rerun ethernet, it will be cleaner as well. If you are set on keeping the coax, then look at hikvision TVI or dahua CVI HD over coax systems.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you wanted Hi res and using the rg59 coax you should be looking at turbo range, but to get the megapixel level you are looking to replace the coax with cat5.
That said if you have real long runs converter would be a good option.

bosco500

n3wb
Reaction score
If you wanted Hi res and using the rg59 coax you should be looking at turbo range, but to get the megapixel level you are looking to replace the coax with cat5.
That said if you have real long runs converter would be a good option.
Thanks guys for the suggestions. What is typically the longest run you want to make with cat5?