Please help select NVR and Camera (or maybe Nuc)

Nicke

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have bean reading about cameras for weeks now.
I want to install some cameras (3-5) at my mothers farmyard. View distance 10-50 meters.
First i was looking at unify but that is too expensive (and without object detection).

Hikvision is cheaper but more complicated but i think i want to use hikvision.

My questions:

Should i use Hikvision NVR or a NUC? I was looking at DS-7608NXI-i2 (has object detection). is this a good NVR?
Or is it is it better/cheaper to buy a nuc and use for example motioneye and some other software for object detection?
(I don't need POE in the switch because my cameras will be placed at other locations, via a radio link. Unifi nanobeam. I will use POE adapter for all cameras. )

2. If i go for the NVR above or another NVR with object dection, does that mean that I don't have to buy cameras with integreated object detection. (i could buy cheaper chameras without object detection) ?

3. I have been looking at some bullet cameras from hikvision, but there are so many.. Can you please recommend me anyone?

Thanks!

Attachments

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A lot of people recommend used workstation PC's in conjuction with Blue Iris.

You can get used PC for around ($200) plus Blue Iris ($60) total cost = $260.

Looking at the NUC's thy are going for$300-400.

The DS-7608NXI-i2 is similar in price ($280 Amazon) but it is limited to only 8 cams. If you can live with no ability to upgrade past 8cameras you can go with that. Also with the DS-7608NXI-i2, you are strictly limited to Hikview cameras.

Used PC with Blue iris offers more customization as well as ONVIF camera support. (Compatible with more than just one brand of camera)

The nerds here will 90% of the time recommend Blue iris.

but if your goal is something plug and play then maybe with the Hikview is your best bet.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if going with an NVR. Make sure that the cameras and the NVR come from the same manufacture. If not you will lose features.
Buy an NVR bigger than you think you will need. An 8 port NVR will not support eight 4K cameras at 20 FPS. NVR are limited in there processing power, look at the decode Mbps the NVR can handle.
I recommend to NOT buy a kit, they make comprises some place to keep the price down.

Start with one good quality variable focus camera, use this to check for the correct lens size and the camera placement. Test each location at night with motion, have some walk by the camera at 20ft out can wearing a hoodie, can up ID them. Will it stand up for the cops and in court. IF not you are wasting your money.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Doing it right the first time will save you money.
Test do not guess

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have bean reading about cameras for weeks now.
I want to install some cameras (3-5) at my mothers farmyard. View distance 10-50 meters.
First i was looking at unify but that is too expensive (and without object detection).

Hikvision is cheaper but more complicated but i think i want to use hikvision.

My questions:

Should i use Hikvision NVR or a NUC? I was looking at DS-7608NXI-i2 (has object detection). is this a good NVR?
Or is it is it better/cheaper to buy a nuc and use for example motioneye and some other software for object detection?
(I don't need POE in the switch because my cameras will be placed at other locations, via a radio link. Unifi nanobeam. I will use POE adapter for all cameras. )

2. If i go for the NVR above or another NVR with object dection, does that mean that I don't have to buy cameras with integreated object detection. (i could buy cheaper chameras without object detection) ?

3. I have been looking at some bullet cameras from hikvision, but there are so many.. Can you please recommend me anyone?

Thanks!
Welcome @Nicke

I looked at NUC PCs originally and they typically had less space for the HDD and a lessor CPU and / or were pricier than a decent used PC.

Nicke

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all good answer.
Yes, i will spend time reading before i buy anything.
I have spent some hours reading today and there are some things I don't understand.
I think i will go for the desktop and not nuc

(As i wrote earlier, this will be at my mothers place so i need remote access.)

At my mother place we have google wifi today (5 mesh). I could read in the guides that i should turn off UpNP everywehere. But she has google chromecast (and chromecast audio) in almost every room. They need UpNP to work. Couldn't find anything on google about it.

2. Remote access:
Google wifi don't have VPN (the first mesh node is the router). I can see that there are a lot of different solutions but i don't find a good one for me.
  • one way could be to install a VPN server on the computer? don't understand really..
  • Another way could be to have two network cards in the computer and have a switch and cameras linked to the other network card?

3. I checked the hardware requirements (wiki). are the requirements set against substream or mainstream?
Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) I have UPNP disable at my router, Chromecast work great. I have both wired and wireless chromecast.
2) I use an ASUS router with OpenVPN, do not now about google mesh network. OpenVPN does not require a Dual NIC. The Dual NIC is for isolating the camera from the internet. Some people use a Raspberry PI to support OpenVPN. Others can run OpenVPN on the BI server.

3) The requirements were for older systems before substreams. But are still a good guide line. I run 15 cameras at about 700Mp/s on an I7-4790. I would recommend not going an lower than a 6th generation intel processor as it support H.265. Like an I7-6700 or I5-6500.

Nicke

n3wb
Reaction score
1) I have UPNP disable at my router, Chromecast work great. I have both wired and wireless chromecast.
2) I use an ASUS router with OpenVPN, do not now about google mesh network. OpenVPN does not require a Dual NIC. The Dual NIC is for isolating the camera from the internet. Some people use a Raspberry PI to support OpenVPN. Others can run OpenVPN on the BI server.

3) The requirements were for older systems before substreams. But are still a good guide line. I run 15 cameras at about 700Mp/s on an I7-4790. I would recommend not going an lower than a 6th generation intel processor as it support H.265. Like an I7-6700 or I5-6500.
How does it work with the con and mobile app. Do you have to connect to a vpn manually and then start the app or is the app working always?

as I understand I have to start a vpn client on my computer if I want to connect to another network, and then disconnect. But on the mobile app, can I have it running all the time and get notifications?

Nicke

n3wb
Reaction score
If I understand it correctly, I will get notifications since the vpn is only blocking data coming from internet to my server, not the other way (notifications). I then have to start the vpn and open the app?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The vpn is not used for notification. Notifications are out bound.
To access your cameras the vpn client on the phone must be started, then the app on the phone. I only connect when needed.
The vpn server on you home network is running all the time.