Please Help Setup IPC-HDW5231RP-Z

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Background; I have installed and setup sucessfully several Foscam cameras in the past. I used Blue Iris for my software.
I have now moved to a new home and wanted to install a "better" camera system leaving my old one behind. After doing a lot of reading here on ipcamtalk I decided on going with Dahua cameras. I bought my first one (IPC-HDW5231RP-Z) to see how I liked it. So far I cannot get it to setup.Here are the steps I've done.
  • Installed camera and connected to a unmanaged Cisco POE switch
  • Installed config tool located on mini dvd that came with camera.
  • Config tool recognized camera at 192.168.1.108 but I could not connect using IE11 browser.
  • The camera showed "uninitialized so I was able to initialize it using the config tool. Still could not connect thru IE11.
  • I tried to modify the cameras IP address with a static and/or DHCP and I get a yellow error icon. When I click on the icon (see picture).
Not sure what to do at this point.

InkedDahua5231.jpg

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IE11 > Tools > Internet Options > Security > Local Internet > Sites > Advanced

Add 192.168.1.108 to "Websites:"

Then try again. thumbsup.gif

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Background; I have installed and setup sucessfully several Foscam cameras in the past. I used Blue Iris for my software.
I have now moved to a new home and wanted to install a "better" camera system leaving my old one behind. After doing a lot of reading here on ipcamtalk I decided on going with Dahua cameras. I bought my first one (IPC-HDW5231RP-Z) to see how I liked it. So far I cannot get it to setup.Here are the steps I've done.
  • Installed camera and connected to a unmanaged Cisco POE switch
  • Installed config tool located on mini dvd that came with camera.
  • Config tool recognized camera at 192.168.1.108 but I could not connect using IE11 browser.
  • The camera showed "uninitialized so I was able to initialize it using the config tool. Still could not connect thru IE11.
  • I tried to modify the cameras IP address with a static and/or DHCP and I get a yellow error icon. When I click on the icon (see picture).
Not sure what to do at this point.

View attachment 30343
first, what is the ip address of your router?

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Q, I added the ip address as described and I still get the configerror.

fenderman, It is an unmanaged Cisco switch (SG110-16HP), I don't believe it has an ip address.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Q, I added the ip address as described and I still get the configerror.

fenderman, It is an unmanaged Cisco switch (SG110-16HP), I don't believe it has an ip address.
no that is not my question. What is the ip address of the ROUTER! There is a specific reason why I am asking. if you are not using a router then what is your setup?

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
oh, sorry. It is a Hughes Router 192.168.42.1 (edit)

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
oh, sorry. It is a Hughes Router 192.168.0.1
Thats your problem. Its on a different subnet than the default dahua. You pc can only see devices on 192.168.0.X...the dahua is 192.168.1.108
You need to change the camera ip to something within the range. 192.168.0.X. X must be 1-254 and not used by any other device. Check your routers dhcp server range and set it outside that range.
or use the tool to set the camera to dhcp then reserve the dhcp address in your router so it does not change.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fenderman, I tried changing the camera ip. That is when I get that error message I posted above. I have not tried changing the router dhcp server range.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mat200,
Hi Kaos,

Change the subnet of your PC to 255.255.0.0
Check that the PC has IP of 192.168.x.x

If the camera has an IP of 192.168.x.x you should see it, if it has been changed you will need to adjust the settings appropriately.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.
I was able to change my PC ip address, then connect to the camera and change the ip address on the camera. I had to go back and enable DHCP on my PC to connect to the internet.
Now working on making camera visible on the web.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.
I was able to change my PC ip address, then connect to the camera and change the ip address on the camera. I had to go back and enable DHCP on my PC to connect to the internet.
Now working on making camera visible on the web.
you dont want to make the camera visible on the web...all these cameras have security vulnerabilities. see the vpn primer for noobs thread. If you have your foscams exposed to the internet, stop asap as they have likely been hacked.
If you are using blue iris as you noted, you dont have to do anything to expose the camera, blue iris webserver is all you need.