Please Recommend NVR & Camera Combo for Local Storage and Saving to the Cloud

ionu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there!

I would like to get a recommendation (maybe 2 or 3 brand choices) for a camera system. Obviously I'm new, and every time I think I found what I need, I find out that the camera brand has to match the NVR brand, and whatever company it is practically forces you to use their cloud service.

I currently have fairly large cloud accounts with Google and Amazon for business purposes, and would like to be able to use one of those two since my company pre-pays for storage and it's very cheap. I'm not going to sign up for some 'fancy' security camera service like Ring or Nest or whatever, just to get a few free hours or a free day of video storage -- ripoff!

Anyways, here is what I'd like to get:

1. 6 Cameras (1080p/30 and/or 4K/15). PoE. Bullet type cameras (don't think we need PTZ, but the option would be nice at some point)
  2. NVR - Preferably one I can add my own HDD to, 6-8TB capacity. PoE.
  3. EASY to configure the NVR to stream all video to Google or Amazon.
  4. Is there any specific software that can run in the cloud (like on a VM instance) to better manage the videos, or just stream and save the raw video?
  5. We have a 500Mbps fiber connection, so bandwidth to the cloud isn't a problem

Thanks, and I know I one of you nice people will tell me to just search on the forum, my boss told me to make this purchase by the end of the year (so it's on 2018 expenses) and I have 1 more day at work before going on vacation! Oooopsie; should have done this earlier in the year.. Maybe the boss can give me more than 1 week notice next time ;)

PS - We're going to have an electrician/IT contractor run Cat5 cable and mount all of the cameras, but we're going to connect the NVR if possible.

Thank you in advance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I would like to get a recommendation (maybe 2 or 3 brand choices) for a camera system. Obviously I'm new, and every time I think I found what I need, I find out that the camera brand has to match the NVR brand, and whatever company it is practically forces you to use their cloud service.

I currently have fairly large cloud accounts with Google and Amazon for business purposes, and would like to be able to use one of those two since my company pre-pays for storage and it's very cheap. I'm not going to sign up for some 'fancy' security camera service like Ring or Nest or whatever, just to get a few free hours or a free day of video storage -- ripoff!

Anyways, here is what I'd like to get:

1. 6 Cameras (1080p/30 and/or 4K/15). PoE. Bullet type cameras (don't think we need PTZ, but the option would be nice at some point)
  2. NVR - Preferably one I can add my own HDD to, 6-8TB capacity. PoE.
  3. EASY to configure the NVR to stream all video to Google or Amazon.
  4. Is there any specific software that can run in the cloud (like on a VM instance) to better manage the videos, or just stream and save the raw video?
  5. We have a 500Mbps fiber connection, so bandwidth to the cloud isn't a problem

Thanks, and I know I one of you nice people will tell me to just search on the forum, my boss told me to make this purchase by the end of the year (so it's on 2018 expenses) and I have 1 more day at work before going on vacation! Oooopsie; should have done this earlier in the year.. Maybe the boss can give me more than 1 week notice next time ;)

PS - We're going to have an electrician/IT contractor run Cat5 cable and mount all of the cameras, but we're going to connect the NVR if possible.

Thank you in advance
Cloud recording is overrated. It requires that the internet connection be active and huge amounts of bandwidth and unless its happening in real time - its useless. You are way better off just hiding a second NVR or VMS or use a vms to record to nas simultaneously.
You dont mention your budget. Read the wiki.
see dahua startlight turret cameras See blue iris vms. also see dw spectrum vms if your budget allows.
You will not be able to make a rational decision in one day.

ionu

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought myself some more time by buying a gift card (amazon) so I can purchase the security cameras and the NVR and whatever else we need. Christmas just came too fast and I didnt have time!

Budget is about $750 or so.... ?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are the cameras inside or outside?
Are the cameras expected to work in low light (night)?
Do you want to be able to securely access the video remotely from a phone,tablet, pc ?
A stupid question, do you expect to add more cameras at a later date if so how many ?
In general what type of business ?

Just a note 30 fps is a waste of space, you are not shooting a hollywood movie. Security cameras are best at 15 fps.

Read,study,plan before spending money !!!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought myself some more time by buying a gift card (amazon) so I can purchase the security cameras and the NVR and whatever else we need. Christmas just came too fast and I didnt have time!

Budget is about $750 or so.... ?
Hi @ionu

A 6 camera IP POE kit at $750... hmm, you'll probably need to make a few compromises for that price point.

At 2x that there are some nice kits you can pick up, as well as custom configured options.

Is there particular needs you have?