PoE Camera Replacement

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I could not see a place to post a request for camera recomendations that was not specific to a brand. So I am going to try here and hope for the best lol.
Current set-up
Lorex Bullet LNB9232S-C
Synology Surveillance Station
And a crappy but functional Amcrest door bell camera

The LOREX camera is no longer supported so getting into it and changing settings is becomeing an issue. Day time picture quality, field of view, focus, etc was all acceptable. Night time vision is not the best.

The location is my drive way and the purpose is people keep stealing out of cars at night. The drive way is decently light with 2 drive way lights, porch light, and a street light about 40 ft away. Front, sides, and slightly backlight. The driveway is about 30 ft long. I do not have an overhang to mount a cemaera, this is why I have been using a bullet camera. I would like to keep the cost of a new camera below $300 and stay with Synology. I found LOREX hardware to be okay, but the support is quite bad. So I am vendor agnostic. I like the light alerts some of the cameras have but again more interested in a camera that can actually see the person 10-30 ft away from the camera trying to steal my stuff at night. I do not record continously so the motion detect is important. I do not need 180 degree coverage in one camera, I can install another camera to increase the field of view if needed.

I bought an amcrest IP8M-2796EB-AI and set it up inside to make sure everything worked. The image quality in day time does not look that great, and at night its quite bad. You need mutiple apps. And it did not go into synology easily, but this seems to be how synology does it. So I have not installed this and plan to send it back. Its worse than the LOREX.

I have read a lot of the chats already and was guilt of chasing MP. I should know better. The MP 1/1.2 style cameras listed by both Empire and Dahua look good but the posts are older. Also noticed that a dual sensor version was cheaper than a single so I feel I am missing somehting here.

So my question is what is a solid camera to meet the above wish list on the current market?

Thank you for helping me get unwrapped around the axle. There is so much noise on this topic its very hard to decide.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At 40 feet you need at least 32mm focal length. The Amcrest you selected is the wrong camera.

Except for the PTZ, the remaining 1/1.2" sensors will not work at 40 feet especially at night.

The ideal camera would be the 5442 (54IR)-Z4E

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I could not see a place to post a request for camera recomendations that was not specific to a brand. So I am going to try here and hope for the best lol.
Current set-up
Lorex Bullet LNB9232S-C
Synology Surveillance Station
And a crappy but functional Amcrest door bell camera

The LOREX camera is no longer supported so getting into it and changing settings is becomeing an issue. Day time picture quality, field of view, focus, etc was all acceptable. Night time vision is not the best.

The location is my drive way and the purpose is people keep stealing out of cars at night. The drive way is decently light with 2 drive way lights, porch light, and a street light about 40 ft away. Front, sides, and slightly backlight. The driveway is about 30 ft long. I do not have an overhang to mount a cemaera, this is why I have been using a bullet camera. I would like to keep the cost of a new camera below $300 and stay with Synology. I found LOREX hardware to be okay, but the support is quite bad. So I am vendor agnostic. I like the light alerts some of the cameras have but again more interested in a camera that can actually see the person 10-30 ft away from the camera trying to steal my stuff at night. I do not record continously so the motion detect is important. I do not need 180 degree coverage in one camera, I can install another camera to increase the field of view if needed.

I bought an amcrest IP8M-2796EB-AI and set it up inside to make sure everything worked. The image quality in day time does not look that great, and at night its quite bad. You need mutiple apps. And it did not go into synology easily, but this seems to be how synology does it. So I have not installed this and plan to send it back. Its worse than the LOREX.

I have read a lot of the chats already and was guilt of chasing MP. I should know better. The MP 1/1.2 style cameras listed by both Empire and Dahua look good but the posts are older. Also noticed that a dual sensor version was cheaper than a single so I feel I am missing somehting here.

So my question is what is a solid camera to meet the above wish list on the current market?

Thank you for helping me get unwrapped around the axle. There is so much noise on this topic its very hard to decide.
Issue : "The LOREX camera is no longer supported so getting into it and changing settings is becoming an issue"
Solution : sometimes have to keep older software around to access .. or different versions of software

LNB9232S .. I recall it being a solid camera, so I would want to keep it around for a long time. I can not find a solid spec sheet on it.

Looking at your requirements, I would add a Dahua OEM or HIkvision OEM varifocal 4MP 1/1.8" camera to your setup, and still keep this Lorex ( Dahua OEM ) camera with it's wide FOV should be good for those closer to the camera. ( see the DORI section of the cliff notes .. ID perhaps about 20 feet iirc from the camera )

1719505654899.png
1719505700723.png

Reaction score
I should have both measured and wrote my scenario better. My car doors are between 8-20 ft away. The end of the driveway is about 40ft. So I would want to see faces at approx 15ft at night.

The issue with the lorex is it’s a web based app to access it. It has no updates available. I have had good use out of it. None of the current web browsers work well if at all. It’s a generic camera in synology. So I could try to mess about with it from here on out but it’s far from ideal. Some of the information here looks like there are better night vision options. I could add to it, not a bad idea. Would be $50 in a camera license on my NAS.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I should have both measured and wrote my scenario better. My car doors are between 8-20 ft away. The end of the driveway is about 40ft. So I would want to see faces at approx 15ft at night.

The issue with the lorex is it’s a web based app to access it. It has no updates available. I have had good use out of it. None of the current web browsers work well if at all. It’s a generic camera in synology. So I could try to mess about with it from here on out but it’s far from ideal. Some of the information here looks like there are better night vision options. I could add to it, not a bad idea. Would be $50 in a camera license on my NAS.
Try palemoon browser .. ( many users here are )

"Would be $50 in a camera license on my NAS." - this is one reason why many prefer Blue Iris and a used PC as a cost effective solution. Synology costs get up there quickly once you exceed the 1st 2 free camera licenses

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If only 15 ft for facial ID, then the little brother to the camera @wittaj mentioned would be fine.

The 4K 1/1.2” bullet in 3.6mm would do well also, but you need to have enough ambient light or use the onboard white light LEDs as it can’t see and doesn’t have IR. It’s focal range is much better than the turret version

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also note that that lorex camera is a dahua oem, so dahua oem tools like smartpss work also..