POE CAT6 Tests OK Yet No Camera Connectivity

BlaineBug

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of a recent test with the new tool. When in POE testing mode, the ethernet cable is plugged into the NVR and my device on the camera end. When it continuity testing mode, the device and a receiver are connected to the ethernet cable without having the NVR connected at all. What do you make of these results?

20220707_133124.jpg20220707_132615.jpg20220707_132604.jpg

BlaineBug

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what might be going on here, and is this the correct forum to be posting a problem such as this one in?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of a recent test with the new tool. When in POE testing mode, the ethernet cable is plugged into the NVR and my device on the camera end. When it continuity testing mode, the device and a receiver are connected to the ethernet cable without having the NVR connected at all. What do you make of these results?

View attachment 132796View attachment 132797View attachment 132798
Last picture PoE "Non Standard" ? .. hmmm .. I'll check the other thread .. thanks @sebastiantombs POE CAT6 Tests OK Yet No Camera Connectivity

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And I provided a possible solution as well in your other thread...

BlaineBug

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yesterday evening I installed the Ubiquiti GP-V480-032G POE injector on this particular camera's CAT6 cabling and the camera has been online for about 13 hours now. Unlike with the el-cheapo POE injector that I returned from last week, the Ubiquiti POE injector is providing a full 48 volts at the end of the length of CAT6 so I felt comfortable plugging the camera in. I suppose I'll update IF there are any issues? For now, it appears to be working...fingers crossed!

BlaineBug

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
System has been running for more than 4 days now and I haven't had this camera drop out since adding the Ubiquiti POE injector. I hope this test helps some folks who might otherwise think that they have a defective run of ethernet cable. It certainly saved me from running a new line, as I don't believe that would have solved the problem regardless with intermittent issues such as this.

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

A little over a year ago I installed a REOLINK 6 POE camera (camera model number B800) with 8 port NVR on my home. I ran CAT6 solid core cable myself and everything has been working flawlessly up until last week when I saw that one of my cameras was not functioning. I was able to go down to the NVR and unplug the camera, in which case it would still work for a random amount of time, normally for just a few hours though. I could reset the camera indefinitely unplugging it and plugging it back in. Since it was under warranty, I contacted REOLINK and they promptly shipped me a replacement camera, model number RLC-810. I installed this camera yesterday on Sunday and all was well, or so I thought. Later that evening I logged back in to my camera system and noticed that the same channel was dead once again. There was absolutely zero connectivity between the NVR and the camera as the light on the ethernet port was not lighting at all, and also unplugging and plugging the camera back into the NVR would not bring it back unlike the other camera. As per the recording history I could see that this camera only functioned for LESS THAN 2.5 hours, from the time it was installed until the time where no recordings were able to be viewed. I believe it worked from approximately 2:00 PM until around 4:17 PM. I also noticed that, while this camera was not functional, that the NVR would produce a very quiet high pitched whine that would stop when I unplugged this particular camera in question. And it didn't matter which of the 8 ethernet ports on the NVR I connected it to, the symptoms were exactly the same.

Today I go back up and remove the camera and use my basic ethernet cable connectivity tool to ensure continuity of the cable, which shows that all of the 8 wires in the 4 pairs are showing connectivity. Now my tool is just a simple blinking light and not the precise instruments that most technicians use. So, I believe my cable is still functioning correctly.

However just for one final test, I take the camera directly to my NVR and use a short ethernet cable to test it. And wouldn't you know, the camera powers up! One thing I did NOT test this morning was to plug the camera back in via the ethernet cable to test it if it would give a signal this morning with the camera still installed on my home.

I'm at a loss here. I "somewhat" believe this replacement camera is faulty, but before I go and complain to REOLINK once again I'd like to hear your input here. How should I proceed or what else can I test further to rule out the possibility that my wiring is at fault?

If all else fails and my wiring is deemed to be at fault, I wouldn't re-run the cable. It is the longest run and it is a very complex run. If that is the case I'll likely make due with 5 cameras instead of 6 as it would be too much of a pain in the butt to replace.

View attachment 131908View attachment 131909

Reaction score
New to both network cameras and this forum. But I spent two decades as the best troubleshooter in the country. Yeah, I'm bragging. Communications industry. I've been up and down a ladder enough to travel to the Moon and back. Seen it all. Some first rate equipment and some bargain basement stuff occasionally. No residential, all commercial. Some military including down in the Hole (nuke bunker in Bellevue).

From what I am discovering, your statement about the camera run being the longest of your system combined with the bends is your issue. How to resolve it, I don't know. But I can say this about Cat 6. It's been around for a long time. I changed careers about two decades ago. Before then, the two previous decades spent in the communications industry and second generation with the old man;s experience being forty years back farther. Now, I can't say his experience helped, all that much, with technology changing as it does. So you will be learning as fast as everyone else is learning, here, including the manufacturers themselves. Used to be the distributor for JBL Professional in this territory and when they tried dipping into the projector television market a while back as so many other makers of unrelated equipment did at the same time, was unfortunate enough to be on the cutting edge of all of it. JBL Professional used my experiences among others and withdrew from that market to protect their good name. Then did everything in their power to remove any mention of ever being there. I used to speak with the flounder, I think, of Harmon Kardon brands who became JBL Pros video head. The lesson was that they learn by putting out equipment and then seeing how it is accepted. It was very expensive. I would install these big, heavy projectors in corporate board rooms, university lecture halls, a church or two, maybe, I forget. But they never worked right. Drove Harmon back to India I would always say to describe he and JBL's parting. The images were just too dark.

Many, many high end makers of control equipment exist. The only time I ever dealt with static sensitive equipment that actually failed, was this high end stuff. The only time I ever wore static grounding and had to because I already smoked a couple new pieces of equipment and for once and the only time, the warning of static grounding were real. Everything under the Sun sold and used anywhere lawyers are many will include so many warnings with their equipment, that they guarantee them to be ignored while not trying. In the USA, per my electronics degree and training, nothing is done any less than to have a safety factor of two. This means the electronic components in a device all have double their required current, voltage, power, or whatever requirements. Military grade equipment has a higher safety factor and a more precise tolerance to adhere to. That's the reason rarely can anyone outside the government afford to buy any of it.

Back to your issue. The Chinese, as we all know, made a successful attempt to become the manufacturer of the world in every way possible. When you put your energy and efforts into seriously achieving something, you may just accomplish your goal. The Chinese out of necessity most likely challenged the world in a positive way and accomplished world dominance. The Mexicans did the same decades ago, but negatively, in the drug trade. They no longer were content at being just a stop along the drug trail. They wanted to be where the drugs originate, reap the rewards. And they, too, accomplished their goal.

But the Chinese don't roll to the beat of the same drummer we are accustomed to. They most certainly dove head first into their efforts and did not have the opportunity to receive much feedback from their efforts other than sales numbers. I've seen their equipment where clearly they went their own direction with little desire to duplicate or reverse engineer too much as the Japanese had before them. They reverse engineered everything, then studied it. Then they put their own ideas into improving it. Then took the modified copies of everything and took control.

The Chinese are a little different. They are the oldest civilized culture in the world. The catholic Church tired to disclaim Chinese culture as much as possible because it predates the birth of Christ and makes the Bible look like it was written in isolation. In the USA, we are predisposed to treat things from China like they are all cheaply made, to go with being inexpensive. The Chinese don't have labor unions. They are forced to operate under the stresses of the greed and deception of the average working nobody, uneducated, contributing little, demanding a lot in return. Thus prices are lower without products being made poorly. It's not the China of old where their tool offerings were seen often, and regarded as inferior, thus the reason they are inexpensive. In an America where union members lie as a means of success, and that's all they do, the Chinese bear the scars from their products given a bad name by union thugs. But they are not the junk they once were long ago. So it being made in China should't be a problem. But it is.

And that is due to the ambition of the Chinese government itself and all the billion plus citizens they serve. They played catch up. Nose to the grind stone. And did very, very well. But something had to give. And one of those somethings is the feedback and trial and error improvements that accompany any product being released to the public. Similar to how Russia doesn't bother with safety measures in their equipment including nuclear energy, the Chinese have not accepted the safety margin of electronics equipment very well. They went down their own path designing things as mentioned. Some of what they offer is so unique as to confusing or never before seen. They offer their own take on creating this and that already common in the USA done one way. That leaves them with a trial and error feedback necessity they cannot draw ideas from equipment made here. It is marginally functioning today. Tomorrow, the thing no longer operates. In your case, my friend, it's the length of yhour cable run combined with the corners.

Twenty years aggo or more, I installed all the computer wire at a major meat packer's office remodel and expansiion. The engineer specified Cat 6, it was around a quarter Century ago. Durinig that installation, I was educated on something I previously had never known. That just like piping that carries fluid, air, solids, etc. high speed data signals are effected by the number of right angles the wire makes as well as how sharp these turns are made. I laughed at this initially, knowing it's traveling too fast for anyone to notice. But that wasn't so. Every single data cable I installed in this office had to also be verified and tested for it's data carrying speeds. Every cable had to have a number and measured to prove beyond theory the cable could move the data at that speed. The test equipment consisted of two pieces of electronics equipment that combined cost over ten thousand dollars. A ten thousand dollar digitial ohm meter it looked like. Every cable had to be tested and the result submitted to fulfill the contract. We rented the tester.

You may not know this, but Cat 6 and all the high speed data cables are effected by something I never see mentioned anywhere. And this has a bigger effect on whether the cable passes the speed tests than anything like bends in the cable, length, etc. It's the capacitance of the wires in each pair. Cat 5, Cat 6, have pairs in them that are guaranteed to providee a predetrmined capictance between the wires of each pair. That known capacitance is then used to calculate the ciircutry of the equipmwnr. Or vice versa. The data flows at the rapid rate because the equipment sees a contant and never varying capacitance bwteen each conductor in each pair. That is achieved by a never varying and precise number of twists in each pair per foot. With the precise number of twists per foot in each pair never varying, then the capacitance of the cable is known and never varies. Thus the data is allowed to move faster than anything where the the capaictance is all over the place.

That, and, of course,the purity of the copper in the conductors is made steady and as pure as possible. Pure copper wire isn't possible to effectively use in the real world. Copper is too soft to be used as a conductor without tin or some other metal added to make it strong enough to not break when being installed. The purer the better to some degree. Otherwise, the copper would be an excellent conductor of electricity compared to not, but too soft to not be damaged just from being handled. And again, a precise purity of the mixture of copper and its sstrngthening metal means a steady and know resistance same as twists make up a steady and known capacitance.

I talk too much even when I type. But I learned this over a quarter Century ago and nothing changed. Cat 6, Cat 5e, Cat5, and Cat3(for telephones) we used back then, Seems like yesterday not a a quarter Century ago. By now, there should be testing equipment readily available at a much better price than ten thousand dollars to measure the speeds. Speed tests are available on the Internet. Whether there are too manh additional factors involved, there, to make them useful for testing your local LAN or IP camera cabling or not, I don't know. The whole networking thing I dismissed until it got to a point I had to learn. You see, when you're really tasked with using the knowledge, both too much and too litlle are a pain. I vowed one day Ii would no longer be a rat in a race, no longer live like every moment counts and has a dollar value. That my time on Earth means more than keeping someone else wealthy and their equipment functioning at it's peak. My father was so stressed out when he first was self employed and I worked for him, whenhe drove the service van, he had both feet on the control pedals. Both the brake and the accelerator at the same time. I would kid him that he has to let off the gas to stop, let off the brake to go. But it was all about speading around with tiime being money and not enough hours in the day. The stuff ulcers and nervous disorders are made of. The stuff that makes a young man dream of relaxing one day instead of a beautiful woman as he should.

The old man was there when the first computer was made. When it was so large, it took up and entire room to do what is now done on a cell phone. You don't know me, but Bill Gates and Steve Jobs both owe me big time despite not knowing who I am. They chased a dream for money. I chase dreams often to catch them and don't have any time to waste on money. Soon,I'll have gravity figured out as Einstein had relativity and nuclear fission. You'll know it, I'll be floating around like a ghost. Being me, probably get a kick out of scaring people along the way.

Thanks

I'll be back.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
New to both network cameras and this forum. But I spent two decades as the best troubleshooter in the country. Yeah, I'm bragging. Communications industry. I've been up and down a ladder enough to travel to the Moon and back. Seen it all. Some first rate equipment and some bargain basement stuff occasionally. No residential, all commercial. Some military including down in the Hole (nuke bunker in Bellevue).

From what I am discovering, your statement about the camera run being the longest of your system combined with the bends is your issue. How to resolve it, I don't know. But I can say this about Cat 6. It's been around for a long time. I changed careers about two decades ago. Before then, the two previous decades spent in the communications industry and second generation with the old man;s experience being forty years back farther. Now, I can't say his experience helped, all that much, with technology changing as it does. So you will be learning as fast as everyone else is learning, here, including the manufacturers themselves. Used to be the distributor for JBL Professional in this territory and when they tried dipping into the projector television market a while back as so many other makers of unrelated equipment did at the same time, was unfortunate enough to be on the cutting edge of all of it. JBL Professional used my experiences among others and withdrew from that market to protect their good name. Then did everything in their power to remove any mention of ever being there. I used to speak with the flounder, I think, of Harmon Kardon brands who became JBL Pros video head. The lesson was that they learn by putting out equipment and then seeing how it is accepted. It was very expensive. I would install these big, heavy projectors in corporate board rooms, university lecture halls, a church or two, maybe, I forget. But they never worked right. Drove Harmon back to India I would always say to describe he and JBL's parting. The images were just too dark.

Many, many high end makers of control equipment exist. The only time I ever dealt with static sensitive equipment that actually failed, was this high end stuff. The only time I ever wore static grounding and had to because I already smoked a couple new pieces of equipment and for once and the only time, the warning of static grounding were real. Everything under the Sun sold and used anywhere lawyers are many will include so many warnings with their equipment, that they guarantee them to be ignored while not trying. In the USA, per my electronics degree and training, nothing is done any less than to have a safety factor of two. This means the electronic components in a device all have double their required current, voltage, power, or whatever requirements. Military grade equipment has a higher safety factor and a more precise tolerance to adhere to. That's the reason rarely can anyone outside the government afford to buy any of it.

Back to your issue. The Chinese, as we all know, made a successful attempt to become the manufacturer of the world in every way possible. When you put your energy and efforts into seriously achieving something, you may just accomplish your goal. The Chinese out of necessity most likely challenged the world in a positive way and accomplished world dominance. The Mexicans did the same decades ago, but negatively, in the drug trade. They no longer were content at being just a stop along the drug trail. They wanted to be where the drugs originate, reap the rewards. And they, too, accomplished their goal.

But the Chinese don't roll to the beat of the same drummer we are accustomed to. They most certainly dove head first into their efforts and did not have the opportunity to receive much feedback from their efforts other than sales numbers. I've seen their equipment where clearly they went their own direction with little desire to duplicate or reverse engineer too much as the Japanese had before them. They reverse engineered everything, then studied it. Then they put their own ideas into improving it. Then took the modified copies of everything and took control.

The Chinese are a little different. They are the oldest civilized culture in the world. The catholic Church tired to disclaim Chinese culture as much as possible because it predates the birth of Christ and makes the Bible look like it was written in isolation. In the USA, we are predisposed to treat things from China like they are all cheaply made, to go with being inexpensive. The Chinese don't have labor unions. They are forced to operate under the stresses of the greed and deception of the average working nobody, uneducated, contributing little, demanding a lot in return. Thus prices are lower without products being made poorly. It's not the China of old where their tool offerings were seen often, and regarded as inferior, thus the reason they are inexpensive. In an America where union members lie as a means of success, and that's all they do, the Chinese bear the scars from their products given a bad name by union thugs. But they are not the junk they once were long ago. So it being made in China should't be a problem. But it is.

And that is due to the ambition of the Chinese government itself and all the billion plus citizens they serve. They played catch up. Nose to the grind stone. And did very, very well. But something had to give. And one of those somethings is the feedback and trial and error improvements that accompany any product being released to the public. Similar to how Russia doesn't bother with safety measures in their equipment including nuclear energy, the Chinese have not accepted the safety margin of electronics equipment very well. They went down their own path designing things as mentioned. Some of what they offer is so unique as to confusing or never before seen. They offer their own take on creating this and that already common in the USA done one way. That leaves them with a trial and error feedback necessity they cannot draw ideas from equipment made here. It is marginally functioning today. Tomorrow, the thing no longer operates. In your case, my friend, it's the length of yhour cable run combined with the corners.

Twenty years aggo or more, I installed all the computer wire at a major meat packer's office remodel and expansiion. The engineer specified Cat 6, it was around a quarter Century ago. Durinig that installation, I was educated on something I previously had never known. That just like piping that carries fluid, air, solids, etc. high speed data signals are effected by the number of right angles the wire makes as well as how sharp these turns are made. I laughed at this initially, knowing it's traveling too fast for anyone to notice. But that wasn't so. Every single data cable I installed in this office had to also be verified and tested for it's data carrying speeds. Every cable had to have a number and measured to prove beyond theory the cable could move the data at that speed. The test equipment consisted of two pieces of electronics equipment that combined cost over ten thousand dollars. A ten thousand dollar digitial ohm meter it looked like. Every cable had to be tested and the result submitted to fulfill the contract. We rented the tester.

You may not know this, but Cat 6 and all the high speed data cables are effected by something I never see mentioned anywhere. And this has a bigger effect on whether the cable passes the speed tests than anything like bends in the cable, length, etc. It's the capacitance of the wires in each pair. Cat 5, Cat 6, have pairs in them that are guaranteed to providee a predetrmined capictance between the wires of each pair. That known capacitance is then used to calculate the ciircutry of the equipmwnr. Or vice versa. The data flows at the rapid rate because the equipment sees a contant and never varying capacitance bwteen each conductor in each pair. That is achieved by a never varying and precise number of twists in each pair per foot. With the precise number of twists per foot in each pair never varying, then the capacitance of the cable is known and never varies. Thus the data is allowed to move faster than anything where the the capaictance is all over the place.

That, and, of course,the purity of the copper in the conductors is made steady and as pure as possible. Pure copper wire isn't possible to effectively use in the real world. Copper is too soft to be used as a conductor without tin or some other metal added to make it strong enough to not break when being installed. The purer the better to some degree. Otherwise, the copper would be an excellent conductor of electricity compared to not, but too soft to not be damaged just from being handled. And again, a precise purity of the mixture of copper and its sstrngthening metal means a steady and know resistance same as twists make up a steady and known capacitance.

I talk too much even when I type. But I learned this over a quarter Century ago and nothing changed. Cat 6, Cat 5e, Cat5, and Cat3(for telephones) we used back then, Seems like yesterday not a a quarter Century ago. By now, there should be testing equipment readily available at a much better price than ten thousand dollars to measure the speeds. Speed tests are available on the Internet. Whether there are too manh additional factors involved, there, to make them useful for testing your local LAN or IP camera cabling or not, I don't know. The whole networking thing I dismissed until it got to a point I had to learn. You see, when you're really tasked with using the knowledge, both too much and too litlle are a pain. I vowed one day Ii would no longer be a rat in a race, no longer live like every moment counts and has a dollar value. That my time on Earth means more than keeping someone else wealthy and their equipment functioning at it's peak. My father was so stressed out when he first was self employed and I worked for him, whenhe drove the service van, he had both feet on the control pedals. Both the brake and the accelerator at the same time. I would kid him that he has to let off the gas to stop, let off the brake to go. But it was all about speading around with tiime being money and not enough hours in the day. The stuff ulcers and nervous disorders are made of. The stuff that makes a young man dream of relaxing one day instead of a beautiful woman as he should.

The old man was there when the first computer was made. When it was so large, it took up and entire room to do what is now done on a cell phone. You don't know me, but Bill Gates and Steve Jobs both owe me big time despite not knowing who I am. They chased a dream for money. I chase dreams often to catch them and don't have any time to waste on money. Soon,I'll have gravity figured out as Einstein had relativity and nuclear fission. You'll know it, I'll be floating around like a ghost. Being me, probably get a kick out of scaring people along the way.

Thanks

I'll be back.
What does this have to do with the price of eggs?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score

Thanks

I'll be back.
Just like the other thread - Fuck Off!