POE Issues - Unifi

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm having a frustrating time with my 4 new Dauha cams and NVR. The picture they make is nice, but the web interface is slow and buggy. I usually cannot playback video.

One of the worrisome things that I see, is no preview video on my NVR NVR5416-4KS2 with my IPC-HDW5831R-ZE. I've seen this occasionally on 2K cams. I've set the 5831R to the same video specs as the 5231R and rather than video I get a black screen with the message "Resources are not sufficient. Failed to enable the video." It seems to work in the direct cam web page and the 2k cams all are working.

I spoke with @EMPIRETECANDY, and he suggests that my POE source is not up to snuff. I think it should be. Is my POE source inadequate? It is a 150w POE+ Unifi switch.

My cams:
2 x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
1 x IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E
1 x IPC-HDW5831R-ZE

This is my switch:
https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_PoE_Switch.pdf

All of the cameras seem to draw 3W - 6W, will withing the POE+ spec. Total, my switch has a 30W load, I would think plenty of headroom.

I also have one of these mid-span POE injector injectors and it also behaves the same with the single camera on it.

WS-POE-12-48V120W

Any ideas on this issue, is it maybe something else? My cables are short, it is within 6' of my switch for testing at this stage. The cables have been tested.

What do others use for POE power for Dahua cams?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This maybe happen on webpage ,etwork bandwidth is not enough,
multiple users logged in,
Plugin for Internet Explorer is old version (try chrome)
Insufficent RAM in PC
Check firmware versions in NVR and Cam
last resort - factory reset camera and NVR

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This has been hashed here before, try to lower fps and bitrates, another idea was to do a factory reset according to this post.

Dahua 4mp DOME camera: resource is limited open video failed
Thanks. I’ll try this. It sure seems like it should work. It’s a full Gb network. I would expect that it would work with the published specs, and with full res video and FPS/bitrate. Disappointing that it doesn’t.

I will play around. There are other issues too. The 5231Rs it is difficult to playback recorded files. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Is there a faq or list of settings to set initially?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
DMSS softeare on phone or tablet will not have this problem. also can try SmartPSS on computer...

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DMSS softeare on phone or tablet will not have this problem. also can try SmartPSS on computer...
Thanks. I have iDMSS and can view comeras, but not see playback. I will try SmartPSS. I have SmartPSS, but do not know the logon. Is there a default?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I have iDMSS and can view comeras, but not see playback. I will try SmartPSS. I have SmartPSS, but do not know the logon. Is there a default?
I think it prompts you to create a login during installation, you can set it to remember. You could also try 1234, 12345, 666666, 888888, or admin.
You might want to remove the version of smartpss you have installed and reinstall the latest version.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think it prompts you to create a login during installation, you can set it to remember. You could also try 1234, 12345, 666666, 888888, or admin.
You might want to remove the version of smartpss you have installed and reinstall the latest version.
I have SmartPSS ver. 2.02.0

I create a login, and have both set it to remember and not set it to remember. When I close it and reopen it, it refuses my credential and my security questions. Will look for the latest and try these pws too.

Thanks.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Smartpss seems to be working now.

It’s better than the nvr and does display all of the cams.

It’s not very intuitive and, while better, is still very slow. Does cam SD card playback always slow to start and jump around?

It would be nice if the NVR worked better.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The quality of the sd card can have an impact, but in my experience sd cards are a bit painful to deal with. Expand the sidebar so you can see a list of clips. I'd recommend you treat the sd card as a backup only.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having a frustrating time with my 4 new Dauha cams and NVR. The picture they make is nice, but the web interface is slow and buggy. I usually cannot playback video.

One of the worrisome things that I see, is no preview video on my NVR NVR5416-4KS2 with my IPC-HDW5831R-ZE. I've seen this occasionally on 2K cams. I've set the 5831R to the same video specs as the 5231R and rather than video I get a black screen with the message "Resources are not sufficient. Failed to enable the video." It seems to work in the direct cam web page and the 2k cams all are working.

I spoke with @EMPIRETECANDY, and he suggests that my POE source is not up to snuff. I think it should be. Is my POE source inadequate? It is a 150w POE+ Unifi switch.

My cams:
2 x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
1 x IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E
1 x IPC-HDW5831R-ZE

This is my switch:
https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_PoE_Switch.pdf

All of the cameras seem to draw 3W - 6W, will withing the POE+ spec. Total, my switch has a 30W load, I would think plenty of headroom.

I also have one of these mid-span POE injector injectors and it also behaves the same with the single camera on it.

WS-POE-12-48V120W

Any ideas on this issue, is it maybe something else? My cables are short, it is within 6' of my switch for testing at this stage. The cables have been tested.

What do others use for POE power for Dahua cams?

I use ubnt UniFi PoE switches exclusively. You can see/verify the real time power consumption of the PoE devices in the UniFi control panel:

upload_2018-2-11_10-57-37.png

The PoE source from the UniFi switch is not the issue here. You will not find a better PoE switch.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Smartpss seems to be working now.

It’s better than the nvr and does display all of the cams.

It’s not very intuitive and, while better, is still very slow. Does cam SD card playback always slow to start and jump around?

It would be nice if the NVR worked better.
two words:

Blue Iris

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use ubnt UniFi PoE switches exclusively. You can see/verify the real time power consumption of the PoE devices in the UniFi control panel:

The PoE source from the UniFi switch is not the issue here. You will not find a better PoE switch.
Thanks. It seemed like these are as good a POE source as I could expect to find. Will quit fretting over this and see what else might make my cams sluggish.

Do your cams connect Gb? Mine connect 10/100. They seem to run between 3 - 6 W each.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The quality of the sd card can have an impact, but in my experience sd cards are a bit painful to deal with. Expand the sidebar so you can see a list of clips. I'd recommend you treat the sd card as a backup only.
Thanks. My plan is to use the SD card a back up only. I do want to get the cameras working, before I dive into the NVR.

These are the SD cards I am using, they seem like they should be good ones.

MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card w/ Adapter 128GB (2017 Model) Memory & Storage - MB-ME128GA/AM | Samsung US

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
All are on the same switch.
The PC and / or its connection could be a common factor for all the problems you are seeing.
Have you tested with more than one PC / what's the status of the PC LAN connection / have you tried a different LAN cable / what interface statistics / error counts does the switch provide?

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wanted to follow up and say that these have been behaving much better. What I’ve found is that the whole experience is better with IE. I don’t recall if it is compatibility mode or not, I think not. I need to fine tune the settings but they are working well enough now, I am pleased. Picked up 7 more.

One thing to note is that the nvr does not work in win8 ie for me. It will not load the plugin from the nvr. It loads fine in win7. Have not tried win10 yet. Cameras are fine on all win versions I’ve tried.