PoE on new DS-2CD2332-I single camera installation.

Grommett

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

Forgive me if I am a little naive as I am fairly new to this. One of the reasons I purchased this camera was for its PoE capability but I am having difficulty. The camera works when it is connected directly to a 12v power supply, but if I connect it via a passive PoE injector it doesnt work. I am plugging the power supply into the injector, an ethernet cable that runs back to a Gb Switch is connected to the port marked "LAN" on the injector, and an ethernet patch lead is connected to the "PoE" socket on the injector and runs to the RJ45 socket tail on the camera.

I am sure it would work if I also had a PoE splitter (which I dont at the moment) but I thought that a PoE camera wouldnt need a splitter? I thought the power socket on the camera would not need to be connected when using PoE.

Have I got this wrong?

Many thanks

Ian

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the key here is the word 'passive' for the injector.
Hikvision cameras use the standards-based POE implementation, where there is some interaction or handshaking between the power using equipment (the camera) and the power sending equipment (the POE RJ45 port) before power is made available.
As a safety measure, and in a way that aims to achieve 'plug and play', the camera has to 'request' power by applying a specific fixed resistance between specific wires on the cable. The powering device acknowledges this within the required timing and progressively applies the power.
This means that you can mix and match conformant and non-conformant devices and POE ports without risk of damaging them.
So your passive injector is likely not conforming to the normal standard and doing the handshake - it may just be permanently powered, in which case take care not to connect to any non-POE devices.

There is a fairly heavy explanation here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

Grommett

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi alistair
Thanks for the reply, it sort of makes sense. I think it means I was right to think that the camera would work without the spitter but it needs to have an "active" injector? Is there something I could go and buy at pc world or maplin that would do the job or should I just use an injector/splitter pair?

Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont you a splitter its messy and is another point of failure…just get a proper injector or if you are planning on adding more cameras buy a poe switch…they are about 50 dollars US.

Grommett

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you suggest an example of a proper splitter? I don't plan on installing more cameras (at least in this area).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need an injector..something like this
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Gigabit-Ethernet-Injector-TPE-113GI/dp/B007Q87KP2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1419378310&sr=8-3&keywords=poe+injector
or http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Gigabit-Injector-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419378310&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+injector (the injector, not the splitter or the kit)
if you live in the uk as the ebay auction you linked to suggests...read the reviews on amazon uk, you may need a power adapter that they dont include.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera datasheet - http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2013101905391080103.pdf show that the camera is 802.3af compliant

I would make sure the PoE injector is 802.3af compliant

One that fenderman recently posted from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Gigabit-Injector-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top is 802.3af compliant injector. This would be the one to get. I have two of those injectors myself on a different brand camera.

It will make it more plug and play for you.

Bill

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Grommett

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the very helpful replies guys, it all makes a lot more sense now. Using a splitter seemed like a messy way to install the camera - there's already a lot to try and fit behind the camera. PC World sell the TP Link injector and I've been very pleased with one of their routers so I will go and pick one up.

Cheezy

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using a 48Vdc power supply with your POE injector? The power connector on the camera requires 12Vdc, but the POE power on the network jack should be 48Vdc.

glennbot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what the RJ45 POE pinout is on the DS-2CD2332-I camera?

POE 802.3af has Standards A and B.

Is it possible to splice into a cat5 cable and insert the 12V to power the camera?

I tried (+) on pins 4/5 and (-) on 7/8 but it doesn't seem to work?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheezy

n3wb
Reaction score
POE standard is 48V, not 12V. Your camera has a small power inverter inside that converts the 48V POE power to 12V. If you're applying power into the RJ-45 Ethernet connector, it needs to be 48V. If you want to inject 12V into the Ethernet cable, you must split that 12V back out before the camera and apply it to the 12V power input connector at the camera, not the RJ-45 connector. You need a simple, passive injector to insert the 12V into the cable and a simple passive splitter to separate the 12V back out at the camera. Like this- http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tape-screened-POE-Cable-POE-Adapter-cable-POE-Splitter-Injector-Power-supply-module-12-48v-synthesizer/2041371671.html Of course, using a 12V power supply and a passive splitter will mean that you wasted money purchasing a POE camera since you're now powering the camera with the 12V connector and not using POE. Here is an example of the 48V to 12V converter in your camera- http://www.aliexpress.com/item/802-3af-POE-Module-POE-POE-Power-POE-for-IP-Cameras/710964167.html When you buy a POE camera, you're paying extra to have that converter in the camera.

glennbot

n3wb
Reaction score
OK,
So basically you're saying all I need to do is supply 48V to (+) Pin 4/5 and (-) on 7/8 and I'm in action?
I take it a smaller 24V voltage won't work?

I would have thought they would use a DC-DC circuit converter inside?

Thanks Again.

Cheezy

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera does have a DC to DC converter inside. That was the second link I posted. Some cameras are designed to work on 24V, not 48V, and some cameras will accept a wide range of voltage, but POE standard is 48V.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why are you just not using a true poe injector or just use the 12v input on the camera?

glennbot

n3wb
Reaction score
Why are you just not using a true poe injector or just use the 12v input on the camera?
1. I don't have a POE injector - I will buy one later.
2. I don't want to run a 2-Core power cable out to the camera - that's why I bought a POE camera.

glennbot

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - I can confirm the HikVision DS-2CD3332-I will only work on 48V. (Tried 24v and 36V but it doesn't power up)

The wiring pinout for the RJ45 are (+) on pins 4/5 and (-) on 7/8

I ordered a all-in-one 48V 0.5A PoE Injector/Power Adapter from eBay which should do the job.

Attachments

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
May I ask, how many cameras are you planning on installing altogether?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this the item you ordered?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-0-5A-Wall-Plug-POE-Injector-Ethernet-Adapter-IP-Phone-Camera-Power-Supply-US-/381018581374
If so, the product listing does not mention that it is 802.3af compliant - the POE standard that mandates some handshaking between the power using device and the power supplying device, in order to ensure a safe and correct supply of power.
The bottom of the listing mentions it's a 'passive injector'.
I suspect - though I'm not 100% sure - that the Hikvision POE devices require a 802.3af compliant POE power source.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.