POE splitter to repair Mini PTZ 10x

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Like many forum members, my camera just died on me. No change, no firmware upgrade... It just stopped.
I connected it to another CAT5 cable with POE that works fine to make sure it was not a cable issue. No luck. No light coming on, not detected on network. As a result, I suspect it is a failure of the internal POE module.
First, is there a way to be sure of that?
If so, can I buy a POE splitter to test it and potentially use it? Not a huge fan as it creates bulk but it may be the only solution.
The main question here is which one to buy? Link to one ideally in the US that has been tested with the camera... and is white and not too bulky :)
Thanks in advance

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Find a 12v 2A power brick and power the camera directly w/12vdc.. if it works then yeah your internal PoE is dead and you'll want a PoE to 12v Splitter.. they dont come in white, and should not be exposed to the elements.. they are all the same size basically too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Like many forum members, my camera just died on me. No change, no firmware upgrade... It just stopped.
I connected it to another CAT5 cable with POE that works fine to make sure it was not a cable issue. No luck. No light coming on, not detected on network. As a result, I suspect it is a failure of the internal POE module.
First, is there a way to be sure of that?
If so, can I buy a POE splitter to test it and potentially use it? Not a huge fan as it creates bulk but it may be the only solution.
The main question here is which one to buy? Link to one ideally in the US that has been tested with the camera... and is white and not too bulky :)
Thanks in advance
Before spending money, take the camera down and test with a 12v adaptor of you have one...most of the failures destroyed the camera itself so it wont work at all, even using a poe splitter.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
No light coming on, not detected on network. As a result, I suspect it is a failure of the internal POE module.
If after checking with the alternate 12v power source (good advice) there is still no sign of life, even on the network port, it could still be a firmware corruption, stopping the boot process before the interface is configured.
Is this a V1 or a V2?

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for questions and help! Camera is a v2. I think it failed end of the summer mid september but had worked for weeks during peak of the summer. Living in Atanta so quite hot and humid. Camera is definitely not in shade but not sure how much direct sun it is getting.
I was thinking of testing with a separate 12V power supply. Just not sure if i have one.
I have also reached out to Monica as I bought if from her in February. See what she says. What shall I expect?
And based on the numerous failures of this model and the apparent need to have a splitter going forward, what are your recomendation on a affordable POE PTZ to supplement my fixed Hikvision domes? I really liked the Huisun... while it worked!
Thanks a lot again

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Monica has left HuiSun; and they dont give 2 fucks about your dead camera.. unless your giving em more money; you can suck it. (dont take that personally, thats Huisun's stance)

Dahua makes quality PTZ's, but dont expect to get much for $150.. Comparable specs w/tangible quality will cost you 2x what you paid for the Huisun; but had you bought one of them instead you'd be ahead right now.. because if you were to drop cash on another Huisun in place you'd have spent the same money as quality in the first place.

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks nayr. I appreciate your candor :) Unfortunately when I bought my Huisun, reviews were good and price/value quite attractive. And many forum contributors were raving about it. And yes, there are risks in buying from Aliexpress and clearly you roll the dice.
I was hoping I dodged the POE failure bullet but did not indeed... Going forward, I need to readjust my strategy as I still need to buy a few more cams (of various types). And I am not against spending a few more $$ to have good quality, reliability and peace of mind. The premium must be reasonable though. I am open to suggestions for models that have a strong price/quality ratio for outdoor cams. And I use BlueIris so I have flexibility on what I can use/mix and match.

Now, on my specific Huisun unit, I saut found a 12V power supply and tested it. Lights come and and camera is turning. I guess then that the POE module failed and my best/only option is to see if a splitter would solve the problem. Not great as creates bulk and complexity but at least it would "salvage" the unit. Am I correct?
If so, can somebody point me to a splitter that:
- would work outside (unfortunately don't have the option to have it inside based on location)
- ideally is white based on the color of camera and location of it
- is known to work with the Huisun unit
- can be sourced in the US (makes no sense to buy it in China based on shipping time and costs)
- ideally is a discrete and small as possible
- is an active POE splitter as it will be fed by POE+ switch (Netgear) that (I believe) is 48V. But I may be wrong on this...
The one that is now supplied with the Huisun cams seems ok to me but I don't how to buy it on its own in the US.

Thanks a lot for your help on that and open to recommendations on good units (PTZ and not PTZ) that could be upgraded with US firmware and known to work reliably for outdoor residential surveillance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your snipe hunting for unicorns.. there are none; zip; zero; ziltch that are even outdoor rated; let alone white..

Amazon has a bunch of 12v POE splitters for you to pick from.

Search around the forums and see what others have done, iirc someone managed to fit the poe splitter inside one of these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-2-Type-LB-Nonmetallic-Conduit-Body/3127635

Dahua sets the bar for PTZ's, anything they make is going to be leaps and bounds better than that Huisun.. look at there offerings and see if anything meets your needs and budget.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Pretty sure the heat is what zapped it. It's only rated for like 130º and it surely gets hotter than that inside the case when it's near 100 degrees outside, in direct sunlight and internal electronics running. They're great cams in cooler climates, but some part in them is not very heat tolerant. It's speculated that it's the POE that's been causing the overheating which is why they're putting external POE on the newer ones and recommending users add an external POE splitter on the older ones if they're planning on using it in hot climates.

"Monica" is not around, but someone that goes by "Jack" has been offering service for these. You can find his contact info somewhere on the board. Of course, in some cases, it's involved shipping the unit to China for repair which can get costly....Especially if you want timely delivery and tracking.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On aliexpress u can get a dahua ptz 2mp 20x zoom for $418 shipped to USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vasycara

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now, on my specific Huisun unit, I saut found a 12V power supply and tested it. Lights come and and camera is turning. I guess then that the POE module failed and my best/only option is to see if a splitter would solve the problem. Not great as creates bulk and complexity but at least it would "salvage" the unit. Am I correct?
If so, can somebody point me to a splitter that:
- would work outside (unfortunately don't have the option to have it inside based on location)
- ideally is white based on the color of camera and location of it
- is known to work with the Huisun unit
- can be sourced in the US (makes no sense to buy it in China based on shipping time and costs)
- ideally is a discrete and small as possible
- is an active POE splitter as it will be fed by POE+ switch (Netgear) that (I believe) is 48V. But I may be wrong on this...
The one that is now supplied with the Huisun cams seems ok to me but I don't how to buy it on its own in the US.

Thanks a lot for your help on that and open to recommendations on good units (PTZ and not PTZ) that could be upgraded with US firmware and known to work reliably for outdoor residential surveillance.
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bCQRLqOy

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I stand corrected; however I believe the Mini-PTZ requires more than 1A of power.. iirc lots of issues underpowering em.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It was originally stated somewhere that they used 18 watts, though the specs were changed to 12 watts. Based on (albeit limited) user tests here, I believe something like 11.8 watts was found to be the max they could get it to use. As such, POE seems to work fine. I still went POE+ for mine just to be on the safe side.

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all. I have ordered the POE splitter above. Unfortunately, it is coming from China so won't be able to test for a few weeks...
But it seems that if I connect a separate 12V power supply and network cable, it works... So I am hopeful the damage is "limited" to the internal POE.
Will see if the Aliexpress adapter works and lasts and reports to the forum for those who have a similar issue.
nayr, your Lowes case is interesting but I have a tough time to imagine they will reduce temperature as opposed to increase it...

I will also look into other models from both Dahua and Hikvision. Thanks for the suggestions and feel free to share more.

steve9380

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My PTZ did the same and it was an easy fix once I got the color code. There is a thread I have on the site. Cut your wires and put them on a female connector all is good.

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. Any chance you could provide more details on that and ideally a link to the instructions.
I don't mind cutting and slicing my connection and doing my own POE splitter. I imagine 3 pairs are for the network connection and one pair for the power. I guess I could easily terminate the RJ45 and the power supply myself.
Thanks a lot in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. Any chance you could provide more details on that and ideally a link to the instructions.
I don't mind cutting and slicing my connection and doing my own POE splitter. I imagine 3 pairs are for the network connection and one pair for the power. I guess I could easily terminate the RJ45 and the power supply myself.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Your issue is not the same as steves issue..there is no point of cutting anything...simply attach a poe splitter and you are done...For what its worth, in this instance, data and power are transmitted over two twisted pairs (4 wires) the other two pair remain unused.

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm really confused now... I have added a POE splitter. Camera seems to work fine for some time then stops. I unplug the RJ45 connector and it works again. when online, I can also access the config page via the IP address. when not available in BI, I can't access config page.
One of the RJ45 connector of the camera is all black and may be corroded. I think I will buy and try some Deoxit to see if it helps. The other option is to cut the connector completely and install a new waterproof one (suggestions on coupler/coupler welcome).
I am trying to rule out a problem inside the camera itself. and see if I should concentrate on the connector. Any test or things I should do to rule out internal damage?
The corrosion may have come from a spraywash of the house with bleach while connector was not properly waterproofed. Timing seems to coincide.
Thanks again for all help