POE splitter to repair Mini PTZ 10x

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've looked at Dahua and Hikvision since the majority of my CCTV system is Hikvision. Neither has anything similar to the Huisun cameras in size and form factor. It would be great of either of those brands would produce something in that space. Until then, either Huisun, or one of the similar clones, is the only option. I bought ten of the Huisuns and, of those ten, two have failed over the past year. The rest have, so far, survived the Oklahoma cold winter and the Oklahoma hot summer so I have high hopes for getting a few more years or longer out of them. I also bought two from other vendors that use the same PTZ mount but different cameras/software. Neither of those two have failed but they don't use the Hikvision software so I haven't bought any more of those.

I install all of mine on outdoor junction boxes to protect the wiring after having wires cut in a burglary that prevented me from getting video. (I also now have more cameras and every camera is in view of at least one other camera.) But my failures weren't outdoor corrosion; one failed on the bench - it worked great for a day or two and when I went to install it, it never powered again. The other quit after being in use for 6 months or so. Anyway, the boxes I use (I couldn't find them on lowes.com to link but that's where I get them) have plenty of room for a tp-link POE splitter. I recommend the tp-link and have used several for one-off installations or emergency fixes while building my POE power system. If you search Amazon they do have it in white but, unfortunately, only as a kit with the injector and splitter. So if the OP wants white, buy it and save the injector for emergency power down the line and use the splitter for his application.
A 20 percent failure rate... and 10 cams for a single user is a probably the largest sample size...this once again shows how terrible these cameras are.....these are useless as surveillance camera since they are prone to failure...murphy's law dictates they will fail just before an event and before you can replace it....ptz is generally useless for surveillance as you are not there to monitor and manipulate them 24/7...unless you are using physical sensors to move them, its a complete waste and these cams are slow to pan as well....you are MUCH better off with a reliable dahua starlight varifocal turret for 170....
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Side note, there is never a concern of someone cutting the camera wires...if they can reach the wire, they can reach the camera...all the need is a small can of spray paint or with the bullet, a bit of muscle to rip it off.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dalepres

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree; a 20 per cent failure rate is atrocious. Just build it in and have 30% spares which means that the cameras really cost you 50% more than the advertised price. There are also the fact that a down camera is a gap in your coverage until you fix it. That's why my choke points and entry points are all Hikvision and I use the PTZ for general coverage or covering moving objects - for instance if I park a truck or tractor in a different place in the yard.

The cameras don't cover every scenario but neither do Hikvision or Dahua cameras cover every scenario. Those starlight camera pictures are awesome but what about when there's no starlight? And they don't do PTZ. So they would be fantastic entry point or choke point cameras but they don't work for every scenario the Huisuns work for.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree; a 20 per cent failure rate is atrocious. Just build it in and have 30% spares which means that the cameras really cost you 50% more than the advertised price. There are also the fact that a down camera is a gap in your coverage until you fix it. That's why my choke points and entry points are all Hikvision and I use the PTZ for general coverage or covering moving objects - for instance if I park a truck or tractor in a different place in the yard.

The cameras don't cover every scenario but neither do Hikvision or Dahua cameras cover every scenario. Those starlight camera pictures are awesome but what about when there's no starlight? And they don't do PTZ. So they would be fantastic entry point or choke point cameras but they don't work for every scenario the Huisuns work for.
When there is no starlight? They have IR, they dont need any light.
You dont need PTZ on 99.9 percent of scenarios......and what good is a ptz that fails...worthless....
If you need ptz...spend the 500 on a dahua ptz and never look back...it will just run...

dalepres

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, just like most of the Dahua and Hikvision PTZ cameras, their starlight cameras do not typically have IR (I say typically because I haven't looked at every single model but none of those at which I did look have IR). Starlight technology is very low light using light amplification and they do not work well in zero light scenarios where active IR will work. The camera you called starlight above is actually not starlight; it's active IR. And it's not PTZ; it doesn't play in the same space as the Huisuns. Look at Dahua's site and y ou'll see that the starlight cameras are not IR cameras.

Here's an interesting video of starlight cameras in zero light: . The video doesn't say which Bosch camera it is but Bosch are generally considered quality cameras. This is totally useless in zero light. Of course it isn't exactly zero light or it would be black but you can see how poorly starlight cameras work in real dark. Sure, you can see there's a person there but you couldn't ever use it in court or even for identification to support a further police investigation.

Just like Huisuns, and just like Hikvisions and Dahuas, starlight cameras, as a class, have their place and purpose but they're not the answer to every scenario.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, just like most of the Dahua and Hikvision PTZ cameras, their starlight cameras do not typically have IR (I say typically because I haven't looked at every single model but none of those at which I did look have IR). Starlight technology is very low light using light amplification and they do not work well in zero light scenarios where active IR will work. The camera you called starlight above is actually not starlight; it's active IR. And it's not PTZ; it doesn't play in the same space as the Huisuns. Look at Dahua's site and y ou'll see that the starlight cameras are not IR cameras.

Here's an interesting video of starlight cameras in zero light: . The video doesn't say which Bosch camera it is but Bosch are generally considered quality cameras. This is totally useless in zero light. Of course it isn't exactly zero light or it would be black but you can see how poorly starlight cameras work in real dark. Sure, you can see there's a person there but you couldn't ever use it in court or even for identification to support a further police investigation.

Just like Huisuns, and just like Hikvisions and Dahuas, starlight cameras, as a class, have their place and purpose but they're not the answer to every scenario.
You are 100 percent incorrect. There is no way you are stating this accidentally. IF you actually looked at dahua's website you would see that at least half of the starlight cameras have IR, if not more. Its complete nonsense to say that the cameras will not do well in zero light. The video you posted is from a BOSCH camera with NO IR. WTF? Are you for real?
Let me help you out...tell me if you see no ir in these DAHUA starlight cameras.

Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
IPC-HFW5231E-Z | Dahua Technology
IPC-HDBW5231E-Z | Dahua Technology
SD49225T-HN | Dahua Technology
IPC-HFW4231S | Dahua Technology
IPC-HFW4231E-S | Dahua Technology

and there are many many more...stop deliberately posting misinformation, there is simply no way you could miss the fact that dahua starlights have IR if you visit the dahua website or bothered to look at the first post in the varifocal turret thread linked above. Starlight cameras are in fact superior to standard sensor cams for EVERY possible scenario that involves low light or night footage...

Last edited:

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Speaking of starlight, what exactly does that mean? I was under the impression initially that starlight was a term for the larger 1/1.9 sensors, but now cams with 1/2.8 sensors are being called "starlight".

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of starlight, what exactly does that mean? I was under the impression initially that starlight was a term for the larger 1/1.9 sensors, but now cams with 1/2.8 sensors are being called "starlight".
its a generic term for cameras that perform well under low light (starlight)...

dalepres

n3wb
Reaction score
Why would I intentionally spread disinformation? If you read the text on the Dahua page on the camera you first posted, nowhere will you see the words starlight - even if you search. It turns out that many of the starlight cameras have starlight in the description and this, among others, just have an icon for starlight. I missed the icon but I assure you I have no interest in intentionally spreading disinformation; that would be just silly.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would I intentionally spread disinformation? If you read the text on the Dahua page on the camera you first posted, nowhere will you see the words starlight - even if you search. It turns out that many of the starlight cameras have starlight in the description and this, among others, just have an icon for starlight. I missed the icon but I assure you I have no interest in intentionally spreading disinformation; that would be just silly.
Dont know you tell me. Searching for starlight on the dahua website, reveals these IR cameras with STARLIGHT in their description.
SD6C230U-HNI | Dahua Technology
IPC-HDBW8232E-Z-SL | Dahua Technology
SD49225T-HN | Dahua Technology
HAC-HDBW3231E-ZT | Dahua Technology
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/hac-hdbw3231e-zh-6261.html

there are MANY more..I just dont have the patience to do the legwork for you. Sometimes, when you dont know something, its better to remain silent about it rather than misinform...